Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
But harder compound also helps higher MPG :) That's why VW fitted them as well as other fuel-efficient cars like Prius come fitted with Ecopias :) You can't get it all in tyres, there will be a tradeoff somewhere
Of course you are totally correct there of course.
My previous tyres came off the car at 20,000 miles and over three years.
They bugged me all of the time, but honestly I did not realise how noisy they really was until I changed them.
To have such a silent drive train that is then compromised by noisy tyres appears to defeat the object altogether in my eyes.
The small reduction in MPG is a small price to pay for a much better place to be in the cabin.
Arhhh ...... Peace at last. LOL.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sounds like you need an eTron (the car, not the French translation!) Carty.

Going by Bjorn's review it is miles better than other EVs for silence.

Much cheapness it is not, however.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds like you need an eTron (the car, not the French translation!) Carty.

Going by Bjorn's review it is miles better than other EVs for silence.

Much cheapness it is not, however.
Did you see his latest You Tube video on the new electric Merc ?.
He did a 1,000 kilometre range this and covered the journey ( including charging of course ) in less than 12 hours !.
He was extremely impressed with the car, he said it was very silent to drive.
Cheaper than an IPace as well, fully recommended it !.
Well outside of the scope of my pension though !!!!.
I have been watching his videos for a long time now, if you need somebody to test an electric car, he is the man !.
He says it how it is, the likes and the dislikes.
His knowledge of EV’s is brilliant !.
I think he is on his 4th Tesla by now, he does like his Tesla’s.
But I think the Merc beat his model X hands down for quality etc.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
"James & Kate" from You Tube have taken delivery of their ZS EV today I believe.
I have not watched it yet, but posted it quickly for anybody who is interested.
James loved his limited test drive around London on release day.
We should see some interesting reviews from both him and his wife shortly.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
He really loves his MG jacket!

Looks rather good in white (white Excite on order here).

Type 2 cable is an absolute must - presumably dealers are feeding this back to MG?

And that missing 3rd rear headrest...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
He really loves his MG jacket!

Looks rather good in white (white Excite on order here).

Type 2 cable is an absolute must - presumably dealers are feeding this back to MG?

And that missing 3rd rear headrest...
I agree !.
MG should be providing a type 2 cable for public and home charging.
If you already had an untethered wall box installed, then you are pretty much knackered for getting a charge when you get home with out a cable.
Or you may need a charge on the way home from your dealer collection point, again knackered !.
It’s like picking up a brand new ICE car with half a gallon of petrol in the tank, not enough to get you to the nearest petrol station !.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wish James would be a bit more objective about the MG - all this gushing about the colour (it’s just white), how great it is. I think EV Man does a much better review and at least you don’t get the impression a dealer or the manufacturer is giving him special treatment.
Anyway my dealer has finally rung to say the demo is in (Excite unfortunately) so at last I can see what it is like to drive for myself.
And I will ask the question about rust proofing that we keep being promised an answer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Small panic this morning when I called my allocated MG dealer (TL Darby) to see when they are getting a demo car to be told that they are no longer a MG dealership, well thanks for letting me know!

Anyhow expecting a right faff trying to get my reservation transferred I tried calling the new 7 week old MG dealership in Derby and the person there seemed to be on the case and said all the TL Darby allocations are going to them, they've a charge point already installed and should have a demo car in the next week.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Anyway my dealer has finally rung to say the demo is in ........
And I will ask the question about rust proofing that we keep being promised an answer.
Good luck with that. I popped in to see a dealer this afternoon who boasted about having been the only salesman from the dealership to have been on the training and how much he had been converted from being a petrol-head before proceeding to demonstrate an impressive level of ignorance. Amongst the classic pearls of wisdom he confidently espoused I learnt:
  • Range was over 160 miles in all conditions, unless you used regeneration in which case it was over 230 miles
  • The Chinese had bought all the world's lithium mines so only they would be able to produce batteries in any numbers in the future
  • The navigation has this zap thing built it to show the location of all charge points (presumably meaning zapmap via android auto or apple car play)
  • Most of internal fittings and switch gear was from Audi \ VW parts bin (which may be partially true but he did somewhat over-egg that particular pudding)
  • MG had deliberately omitted certain features because if they had offered them at launch there would be no upgrade path for buyers
  • Fiat were in fact the best car manufacturer (based primarily on the fact that they do a good lunch and offer sales staff generous commission)
I appreciate some dealers are better than others, but I have little confidence in anything they tell you. Corrosion is not a big fear for me because any manufacturer that produced rust prone cars would see their market-share collapse inside a couple of years which would be pretty lousy business just to save a couple of hundred quid on proper protection. However if it is something that worries you, maybe ask for confirmation in writing and see if they are still as confident to confirm rust protection status. Enjoy your test drive but believe what you see, feel and experience, not what you are told.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Someone on the FB group has been rung up by their dealer to tell them they will not get their car this year. They are number 115, ordered 17th July. Looks like the first 700 wont be receiving them this year then!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Someone on the FB group has been rung up by their dealer to tell them they will not get their car this year. They are number 115, ordered 17th July. Looks like the first 700 wont be receiving them this year then!
I was told Feb a few weeks back - in first 1,000 but put deposit down on 24/25 July I think. MG not much better than Kia then in getting supply sorted!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't believe that, there are other posts from dealers on the FB group who are saying peace get them earlier than that. February is regularly quoted but this is the default until a car is matched to someone on the system. However there are software updates being done to each car before delivery which appears to be taking some time. Also may be delayed due to colour and trim chosen if it was a popular choice

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I agree !.
MG should be providing a type 2 cable for public and home charging.
If you already had an untethered wall box installed, then you are pretty much knackered for getting a charge when you get home with out a cable.
Or you may need a charge on the way home from your dealer collection point, again knackered !.
It’s like picking up a brand new ICE car with half a gallon of petrol in the tank, not enough to get you to the nearest petrol station !.
Not every EV manufacturer supplies 2 cables I understand.

if you have a tethered unit and are in the first 1000 then MG will give you £200, which is obviously the cost of a wall box less the OLEV grant.
You can buy a cable with that.

If you aren’t in the first 1000 ........

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Not every EV manufacturer supplies 2 cables I understand.

if you have a tethered unit and are in the first 1000 then MG will give you £200, which is obviously the cost of a wall box less the OLEV grant.
You can buy a cable with that.

If you aren’t in the first 1000 ........
You are correct of course, however if you have already have a present wall box already installed ( like my 32 Amp Rolec unit ) and you intend to use "Off peak" Eco7 at a reduced rate, then you have a problem.
My present VW Golf has a delayed charge facility built into the car, you set the delayed charge cycle by using the settings in the cars OEM head unit.
However, this option is NOT available to the ZS EV, so as soon as you plug in the charge cable in, and lock the doors the car will automatically commence the charging cycle.
If you have a new "Smart Wall Box" unit installed, then you should be good to go !.
The new smart wall box understands the "Off Peak" times and SHOULD only be drawing charge, when using the cheaper "Off Peak Rate" rates.
The customers who have already used the OLEV grant, will not be receiving / getting the offer of the grant and therefore the a smart charger.
The cheapest option would be to get a timer unit installed to the older dumb wall box.
Then you should be able charge using "Off Peak" rates.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Carthy, although I expect you are correct have you had it direct from MG that they are only supplying the charger to those who haven;t used the OLEV grant? I would have expect to see the normal caveat on the website but last time I looked I couldn't see anything.

Just as a minor correction, the new "Smart" chargers only have to have the ability to be remotely controlled. It probably won't be by the energy supplier. So in the really unlikely case you are not using off peak to charge the car you should be able to get access remotely to control it anyway.
To make the Zappi compliant they need the extra hub and that just uses an app so you can control it to do whatever you like.

Reading some info from Pod point and it appears that you can only use the OLEV once per vehicle but you can get up to two per household. As my first charger was installed on a different car theoretically I could get a second one. I wonder how much that would go on ebay for :unsure:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Carthy, although I expect you are correct have you had it direct from MG that they are only supplying the charger to those who haven;t used the OLEV grant? I would have expect to see the normal caveat on the website but last time I looked I couldn't see anything.

Just as a minor correction, the new "Smart" chargers only have to have the ability to be remotely controlled. It probably won't be by the energy supplier. So in the really unlikely case you are not using off peak to charge the car you should be able to get access remotely to control it anyway.
To make the Zappi compliant they need the extra hub and that just uses an app so you can control it to do whatever you like.

Reading some info from Pod point and it appears that you can only use the OLEV once per vehicle but you can get up to two per household. As my first charger was installed on a different car theoretically I could get a second one. I wonder how much that would go on ebay for :unsure:
Not received the info direct from MG, but this is the way I understand the situation.
The first 1,000 deposit customer's received the £3,500 contribution towards both models and also offered a free wall box unit.
My guess is it will be a "Smart" unit to get around the issues of the car not being equipped with timed / delay charging.
The second wave of 1,000 deposit customer's still receive the same £3500 contribution on both models, but the free wall box has been dropped from the offer.
The latest 1,000 customers will have no wall box and the contribution has been reduced to £3,000 for the Excite model.
Some customers who already have a non - smart charging unit installed at the property, have complained that they are unable to take advantage of the free unit from MG due to this reason.
In response to this complaint, I believe MG have said they will credit £200 to these customers ?????.
Some members have suggested they will use this to purchase the missing Type 2 car that the car does not come supplied with.
Unless you have had your car from Miles Roberts at the Chorley Group of course.
They are supplying their first ZS EV customers with a complimentary Type 2 cable, nice touch Chorley.
Step up to the plate the other dealers !.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have been looking at the Ohme cable which would seem to provide the necessary control over any dumb charger. What I have not been able to sort out is whether you have to switch electricity supply to Octopus energy in order to buy one. They cost £399 to Octopus customers (or a reduced £199 for the first few customers to order one). Presumably the £200 grant from MG would go a long way towards the cost.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have been looking at the Ohme cable which would seem to provide the necessary control over any dumb charger. What I have not been able to sort out is whether you have to switch electricity supply to Octopus energy in order to buy one. They cost £399 to Octopus customers (or a reduced £199 for the first few customers to order one). Presumably the £200 grant from MG would go a long way towards the cost.
You can but one direct from them.
The 32 Amp unit is £480 but qualifies for the OLEV grant.
They have another unit for £400 if you already have an untethered wall box, it will plug straight into that.
They have loads of very useful features to control charging from an App etc.
You can also set the car to charge to a max percentage, like 80% then turn off.
Not cheap, but a great piece of kit !.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts