Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting for a couple of months for a new Zoe i40 and was expecting delivery in next couple of weeks. However, just found out that the delivery is being delayed until at least August 2017. Apparently it's on all Zoes and not just my order. The dealer, who had been great thus far, is not able to offer much of a reason or any more accurate delivery dates. I guess I feel quite sad and very disappointed. We had planned our summer holiday around driving the new car and that will not happen now. If it arrives in a August then the order to delivery time will be 5-6 months which is not what one would expect. I guess there is not much one can do. I hope that the delay is because they have decided to pause production to integrate rlink 2 updates and some new goodies/extra reliability in the car but I guess that's wishful thinking.

I will try and get information from Renault if I can and hope they will let me know what's going on. It's a weird things being excited about a new car delivery but when this happens the deflated feeling is very strangely disappointing. I have no idea why I like French cars but I do and this is my fourth one I have owned. However I have heard that they do suffer from recalls and delays like this and the information vacuum does make this even more painful. I hope there is not something seriously wrong with the car or production.

Does anyone have the same experience? Perhaps we can set up a support group so we can get through this together as at the minute I feel like Christmas was cancelled.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,131 Posts
Reactions: AtomicLummox

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi,
I have a Q90 on order eta 28-07-17 and have not heard of any delays apart from the park brake fault that has stalled delivery of the R90, is your order for a R90 slow charge model?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,787 Posts
Yes this "brake" problem does seem to be effecting ETA of the R90 model and AFAIK not the Q90 because of the very different motors and drive trains
Yup

And AFAIK "brake problem" is quite a misleading punch line (not directing this at you @Buzzar ): my understanding is that the problem is that under specific conditions the P setting of the "gear" handle does not really lock the drive train or not reliably enough.

While I personally totally understand they are holding back the cars for quite obvious liability reasons ("Electric Car kills toddler while in Park"), the somewhat silly thing is of course stick shift cars have no drive train lock at all. Oh well.

PS: having said that, seems that the hold-up is taking quite a bit of time and August seems very, very strange and I haven't heard anything that extreme here at all.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
989 Posts
While I personally totally understand they are holding back the cars for quite obvious liability reasons ("Electric Car kills toddler while in Park"), the somewhat silly thing is of course stick shift cars have no drive train lock at all. Oh well.
Another ICE legacy. Why is this even required in the modern age? Either "P" locks the car in position and the handbrake should be removed, or (my preference) the "P" setting should be removed. EVs only need Forward, Reverse and Neutral in my opinion. They also don't require a clunky old 20th-century lever to switch between them (again, in my opinion).

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
741 Posts
It's really safety by having multiple layers.
Renault will have analysed this much more thoroughly than this forum.
With no park brake, and people manoeuvring themselves inside the car or moving a package or fixing a child seat or meeting a new girlfriend..........
and it is possible to release the handbrake just by pushing one button, and hey presto, a roll-away.

Most accidents occur when multiple bad things occur together, and if it can happen it will happen.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
3,053 Posts
Another ICE legacy. Why is this even required in the modern age? Either "P" locks the car in position and the handbrake should be removed, or (my preference) the "P" setting should be removed. EVs only need Forward, Reverse and Neutral in my opinion. They also don't require a clunky old 20th-century lever to switch between them (again, in my opinion).
Even ICE cars don't actually really need the silly levers anymore. Look at the Aston Martin automatics - it's basically buttons for Forwards, Backwards, Neutral and Park...

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
They also don't require a clunky old 20th-century lever to switch between them (again, in my opinion).
Agreed, I drove a Ioniq at the Evolution show last week, it had button switches for drive, reverse etc which I thought was good, as you said no need for a clunky lever.

Reactions: StinkyPete

·
Registered
865 Posts
Clarkson & the luddites have enough trouble with change anyway FFS let 'em keep the odd clunky lever ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
If the car has creep then I agree get rid of the handbrake. Handbrake is more likely to fail than a pawl. But my van doesn't have creep so the handbreak is needed. If your on a hill and in drive but not pressing the accelerator you will roll back.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV
2,356 Posts
But my van doesn't have creep so the handbreak is needed. If your on a hill and in drive but not pressing the accelerator you will roll back.
Is that right? My i3 doesn't have creep, nor does it roll back on a hill.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is that right? My i3 doesn't have creep, nor does it roll back on a hill.
Your i3 might have a better design. The leaf when it's on a hill won't creep up but will hold still but on a flat road it will creep forward. In the kangoo you can put it in reverse on a flat road and get out and it won't go anywhere. It's really annoying but it might be useful for people in busy cities.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV
2,356 Posts
Eww really? I'm not sure I like the idea of an automatic that doesnt have creep...
I don't consider it to be an automatic (not having a gearbox). Whenever I've had to drive an automatic, I've hated it because of the creep. YMMV.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
3,053 Posts
I don't consider it to be an automatic (not having a gearbox). Whenever I've had to drive an automatic, I've hated it because of the creep. YMMV.
Well OK, but I have always preferred creep frankly. It feels significantly more natural and means you know exactly what the car is doing - if the car sits there going nowhere with no intervention it's not a natural feeling so the natural assumption is that you're in Park or the handbrake is on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.