Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understood it should be possible to enter a time of departure and let the car figure out when it should start charging in order to reach the set charge limit (in this case 80%) shortly before departure. I also understood that it is not required to define off-peak hours for the scheduled charging to happen. So I didn't set that.

What I did was set my departure time to 8:00 AM, set the charge limite to 80% and assume the car would start charging some 9:40 hours before departure, since that is what it indicated would be needed to reach 80%.

But... it just started charging happily after I had plugged in, so it'll finish 3 hours before my departure time. That is not a problem now since I only charge to 80%, but I would prefer it not to happen if I need to charge to 100% before a long trip.

Am I missing something or is it simply not possible to automatically finish charging just before departure time?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at it and as suggested I set the off peak times. But even so, it starts charging as soon as the off-peak time is reached, meaning again it will finish way before I leave.

It looks like departure charging does not really exist and that departure time is only relevant for the set cabin temperature. Unless I am doing something wrong, but there's not too many options there really.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I looked at it and as suggested I set the off peak times. But even so, it starts charging as soon as the off-peak time is reached, meaning again it will finish way before I leave.

It looks like departure charging does not really exist and that departure time is only relevant for the set cabin temperature. Unless I am doing something wrong, but there's not too many options there really.
I have found it is best to set the off peak times as if they are the times you wish the car to charge and then set it to ONLY charge during the set off peak times. This way you can get the car to do what you want it to! Departure time does not seem important except it must be set and must be after the time you want the charge to finish. So if you want the charge to stop at 8.30 and start at 2.30 set your off peak times to 2.30 and 8.30 and your departure time to say 8.40. That way it will do what you want it to!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I thought about that, but that requires I calculate how long it needs to charge. It's not really intelligent. But well, first world problems I guess....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m not sure I see what the problem is with the car charging as early as possible to the desired level and within the time parameters set (eg. If you want it done off-peak to get cheaper prices). There is no problem with charging the car to 100% (as clarified just recently in the “optimum charging” thread, even less so if it’s going to be at 100% for just a few hours.

To me there is logic to having the car charge as early as possible. Although unlikely in this modern world, the chances that the supply suddenly drops in the future (eg. Power-cut) are non-null

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
281 Posts
The idea is to get the battery to working temperature and use the heat for the comfort, avoid wasting energy. If you let the battery to cool you waste the heat. That's what my understanding is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's the point. Also I don't want it to sit at 100% longer than needed. In a scenario where I arrive home at 4 pm with 70% charge and wish to leave the following morning at 8 with 100% charge, I would not want the car to sit for 12 hours with the battery full. So my only, admittedly little, gripe is that the car does not take the departure into account.

I'm going to try to set off peak to eg 6-7am. From the manual it looks like the car will then calculate when to start in order to be able to use the full off peak slot. TBC

·
Registered
281 Posts
We always charge our cars to full. I don't believe it causes any harm but some people disagree. Especially Tesla folks.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
282 Posts
We always charge our cars to full. I don't believe it causes any harm but some people disagree. Especially Tesla folks.
It rather depends what your definition of harm actually is. Harm or damage are very strong words!

All lithium ion cells are happiest stored at around 40-50% SOC. The manufacturers generally all state this.
However, this does not mean you should never use 100%. It just means that the slow degradation (that is always happening), may be accelerated by some degree. Especially so in higher ambient temperatures. The cells can produce unwanted gas, which can build up pressure and cause puffing of the polymer containment bag. Other factors may be issues also.

If I was planning a long journey and needed every bit of range, I would certainly use 100% as required. However, if I’m only doing a few miles daily then I will charge to around 80% typically, maybe with the intention of adding more only when it gets to say 20-30%. At least that’s my plan going forwards.

I think, what is not good practice is to regularly charge to 100%, when it’s not actually needed. Similarly, Try to not get it too low regularly either. Big repetitive swings from really high to really low SOC will wear out the cycle life of cells a bit faster. However, this doesn’t mean you should never do it at all. Nor does it absolutely mean that your battery will fail or degrade very prematurely.

That's my opinion FWIW anyway.

Peter

·
Registered
194 Posts
Letting it sit at 100% for a few hours will not hurt. It's really the discharge cycles that wear out the battery, how deeply it is discharged. Worry about storage criteria if you park it at an airport and leave it a couple of weeks.

A question, do you stop your laptop from charging to 100%? How about your phone?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Letting it sit at 100% for a few hours will not hurt. It's really the discharge cycles that wear out the battery, how deeply it is discharged. Worry about storage criteria if you park it at an airport and leave it a couple of weeks.

A question, do you stop your laptop from charging to 100%? How about your phone?
My laptop, yes, I charge it to 100% because it is impossible to keep it at eg 80%. My phone I charge to 85%, I use an app to alert me when it reaches that state.

Laptops and phones suffer from programmed obsolescence. They typically last 3 years. If manufacturers allowed us to charge to lower SoC, they would last longer.

In another thread I gave you some extra links that show that charging to 100% is not recommended and that charging to 100% is worse than discharging to low percentages.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree 100% of the actual capacity is not recommended. My point is that I am pretty sure the 100% indicated is not 100%, and several other people have shown evidence.

Charging to 100% is not worse than discharging to low percentages. You should consult the battery manufacturer. If you have not found the correct information, and insist on following advice from less accurate sources, I cannot help you.

Go to the source, the battery manufacturer. Have you even found the manufacturer of the battery yet?

Really, battery university is kindergarten for understanding batteries.

Greg

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not recommended by who...? Not by BMW or Nissan, that's for sure. They gave us the warranty and if the batteries of our cars degrade faster then I claim the warranty. Not charging to more than 80% is in my opinion wrong. Modern chargers and batteries can handle the charge. I charge all batteries, cameras, phones, laptops and everything else to 100%. No need to any "battery university", it's not rocket science. You do as you like but I guess our batteries will last about equal in the long run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts