Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
How very odd. Shouldn't that be million litres per year*? Why not klpa then?

* I'm assuming it doesn't mean 11.2 millilitres per year!
Yes journalistic standards and all that...
Let's Try statistica... units in kilo litres... also demonstrates the point the industry analyst quote was supposed to be making.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The elephant in the room is that, if you buy a well maintained 8 year old ICE it will still perform as it did when it was new. If you buy an 8 year old EV not only will the battery have degraded but the battery will smaller than those currently available - think Leaf 24.
Batteries degrade with time and use. Mechanical systems wear with use. In both cases hard use will increase the rate of decline. Wear rates for ICEs are terrible if the engine is cold. For BEVs the battery decays more if it is too hot. The ICE may still be a good performer but it is the secondary systems failing that generally make the sequence of replacement repair bills (water pump, radiator, alternator, etc etc) for an ICE reach the point where it is uneconomic. In the case of the BEV with very few moving parts then the equivalent mid to late life repair costs will be more focused around in one big bill with weak cells in a battery being replaced to yield a refurbished battery. Hard to access systems means it is often labour rather than parts (some makes of course crazy prices for labour and parts) that takes an older vehicle to the scrap heap. I think labour costs will take older BEVs off the road in the same way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Supermarkets are in towns, what about the petrol stations along various routes, possibly little used, a bit like charger deserts.
If you drive a route like (say) Chester to Dolgellau you can see the range of closed and repurposed petrol stations - the route is a ‘petrol desert’ in the sense that you need a significant detour if you had to fill up, but most people fill up either end if needed.

It’s pretty much the same between petrol filling as EV charging on that route now - and will be very soon once a rapid is installed in Bala.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If you drive a route like (say) Chester to Dolgellau you can see the range of closed and repurposed petrol stations - the route is a ‘petrol desert’ in the sense that you need a significant detour if you had to fill up, but most people fill up either end if needed.

It’s pretty much the same between petrol filling as EV charging on that route now - and will be very soon once a rapid is installed in Bala.
Yes even in my semi-rural south east location I am a long way from the nearest station and there is increasingly limited choice. Three local filling stations had already turned into car washes when I moved here, a couple more have ditched petrol from their car sales businesses they run. There's only one left now in between the nearby larger towns, meaning a minimum 10 mile trip to fill an ICE, and a bit further still for cheap fuel.
I cannot say I have missed visiting fuel stations. I find having a car that has filled itself up on the drive overnight immensely more convenient.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I guess when supermarkets start to lose interest in dinojuice sales that's when it'll become really difficult to own an ICE. We're a fairly long way off that at the moment with most of the 35million vehicles on the road being ICE still. So in terms of depreciation I think it's more sentiment and consequent demand that will impact ICE and EV depreciation for the next few years.
With perhaps 30-40% BEVs in new sales potentially coming in only a few years from now, the writing will be very much on the wall for all to see and that will likely start drive demand and sentiment. That could be interesting for used vehicle pricing...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used to refuel my ICE car at home when I could get reasonably priced biodiesel in bulk. Sadly, it became difficult to get hold of for a normal domestic user, and modern diesel engines are increasingly picky about what they drink.

But I expect there will be a resurgence in storing ICE fuel at home, as ICE cars enter their long tail. Home charging for ICEs!

·
Registered
574 Posts
But I expect there will be a resurgence in storing ICE fuel at home, as ICE cars enter their long tail. Home charging for ICEs!
It'll be at least 20+ years until we get to that point. ICE still makes up the vast majority of new car sales and will do until at least 2025 or later, they will be on the roads for around 15 years, so that gives a substantial ICE fuel market out to 2040, tapering away in the later half of the 2030s.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
It'll be at least 20+ years until we get to that point. ICE still makes up the vast majority of new car sales and will do until at least 2025 or later, they will be on the roads for around 15 years, so that gives a substantial ICE fuel market out to 2040, tapering away in the later half of the 2030s.
I'm betting 15 years...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,633 Posts
Yes, but at some point it becomes uneconomical to supply, especially when the energy companies work out that car charging on a forecourt are a far better captive audience for their expensive shops.

So I predict that rural areas will see less and less petrol stations, with decent availability in major towns, cities and motorways.

It will start to get difficult to own an ICE in the shires in 5 years time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm betting 15 years...
Keep your eyes out for the oldest registrations you can spot on the road - cars go out of use far quicker than we often think (or they should given their productive life). I tend to agree that 15 years will be the point whereby an ICE is a rarity - I just hope we don’t have a long tail of PHEVs which continue to hold us back.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
How very odd. Shouldn't that be million litres per year*? Why not klpa then?

* I'm assuming it doesn't mean 11.2 millilitres per year!
its mille, latin for 1 thosand, kilo is greek.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts