Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't want to turn this into a p*ssing contest, I just want to understand why owners like the ID.3's design.

The front
The front bonnet is short, insanely short.
You don't notice it until you see one in the flesh.

It is so short in fact that it had me checking the NCAP crash tests to see how much of a crumple zone there is and to me it looks like the ID.3 crashes like a compact car, like a UP! or Smart Fortwo or anything similar that has the front made stiff to avoid too much deforming. I'm not convinced that for a heavy car like this one, the lack of a proper crumple zone is good for the front impact forces, but I'm open to convincing.
The side impact and the side pole impact crashes are impressively good.

I also don't like that they have to keep the daytime Led's on all the time to make it more appealing.
It's like putting mascara on a pig, a beautiful design doesn't need this kind of trickery.

The rear
The rear has all the vibes of the Golf VIII but with a more bulky Golf Plus feel to it.
TBH I prefer the Golf VIII's less busy, cleaner rear.

Overall I can't seem to reconcile that front with that rear.
They're just too different. It's like a up! front meshed with a Golf Plus rear.
I can better on the ID.4.

So what do you like about the ID.3's design?
Why has VW taken such a polarising design for a car that would be in a mainstream category?
Why haven't they stuck with the ID Concept design, which has a rear matching the cartoony front better?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
I think they needed to set it apart from the rest of the range. Having seen it in the flesh I think it’s quite successful. Without an engine in the front they can engineer the crumple zone to work in less space, so why stick with a shape dictated by an engine that isn’t there? I can’t personally see any point in forms that don’t, at least to some extent, follow function.

Judging from your user name, I’m guessing you drive a Leaf? Without being too controversial I’d say the original Leaf is more polarising to look at than the ID3 (although it has actually grown on my as a design over the years). And the second generation one has worked hard to look like a conventional car, but struggled to look cohesive given its unconventional underpinnings. Each to their own though I guess.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The short bonnet is short because there's virtually nothing under it. It doesn't need to be longer than it is. The space not required of a shorter bonnet is usefullytaken up by the cabin to give you a Passat sized cabin in a Golf sized exterior. You can't do that with a traditionally shaped car like the Leaf is.

If the car has a 5* NCAP rating, the front end occupant and pedestrian protection is going to be highly effective.

I'll agree that the MK7 Golf looks nicer, but for me, the MK8 Golf is pretty ugly at the front (coming from someone who's owned 5 Golfs).

There's lots of EVs out there that stand out as EVs on their shape, the most radical (and ugly IMO) is probably the BMW I3. As EVs go, I don't think that the ID3 is particularly pretty or ugly, but it does look like a VW.

I'm guessing that the reason SUV form is most used in EVs is that sitting on a 6" floor of batteries lends itself to that taller shape. The leaf avoids the tall hatch look but is pretty small inside as a result.

Daytime lights running all the time? Surely not? Many cars have their daytime lights on all the time.

For a car with a Golf plus dimension, how would you've designed the back end to be more like a regular Golf? Made it monstrously wide, put a huge and deep boot lid on it?

The are a few EVs I'd buy over the ID3 if I had deeper pockets, but I wouldn't swap one for a Leaf. Not a fan of Nissan styling at all, in ICE or EV form.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
516 Posts
I don’t think I’ve owned a car that has received so many positive comments on how nice it looks. Including a couple of family members who usually have zero interest.
Personally I think it looks great from the side, the back is bold and innovative with the light cut outs and overhang. It’s weakest from the front and it would probably have been better another foot longer on the bonnet and with a frunk. But it is a lovely looking car.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don’t think I’ve owned a car that has received so many positive comments on how nice it looks. Including a couple of family members who usually have zero interest.
Personally I think it looks great from the side, the back is bold and innovative with the light cut outs and overhang. It’s weakest from the front and it would probably have been better another foot longer on the bonnet and with a frunk. But it is a lovely looking car.
Some people are just not used to the design cues and proportions being employed by most EVs, not even a Nissan Leaf owner, as Nissan have tried their best to make it look like a regular ICE mid sized hatchback.

My neighbour has a MK2 Leaf and has had a good look around my ID3. He says he'll probably swap his Leaf for an ID3 next year, with interior space and style a big plus for him. He likes the exterior too.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,778 Posts
Overall, I am happy with the look of my ID.3. I've never liked the black hump in front of the windscreen, and neither the SEAT El Born or VW ID.4 have it. In fact, the ID.4 has a much nicer front bumper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is all in the eye of the beholder.

I really like Golf’s, but the new one looks dated at the front compared to the ID3.

Bonnet drops away and lights look too low.

OP’s pic of the two cars shows why i’d pass on the Golf for the ID3.

Good job we dont all like the same stuff, eh 😇

·
Registered
381 Posts
I like the shape of the ID3, I think it’s fresh, fun and a little different. OK, I’m not massively keen on the black hump, but it’s growing on me, that’s the look, not the hump.

I admit I was initially slightly concerned about the small bonnet, in terms of safety, but after seeing the NCAP scores and videos, my worries were obviously unfounded.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I quite like the ID3 design, one of the better options out there along with most of this year's offerings which are moving away from blue trim and blanked off grilles. My only gripes with it are the poor quality, standard ugly bin-lid wheel trims almost across the board and interior function controls - all touch, many not backlit. It needs revisions quickly to put it among the very best really but likely a couple of years down the line.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
My only gripes with it are the poor quality, standard ugly bin-lid wheel trims almost across the board and interior function controls - all touch, many not backlit.
The only unlit touch controls are the two heat and central volume control sliders on the bottom of the main screen. An oversight or strange decision though, I agree!

As you say, I’m sure they will change/improve it as time goes on, the ID.3 is at the start of its model cycle and it’s already a good EV, assuming you haven’t got one of the lemons knocking about.

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
Why haven't they stuck with the ID Concept design, which has a rear matching the cartoony front better?
Most concepts are not practical production cars. Roof is often too low. Overall design may not meet safety standards. Concept design is often too costly.

Even the production i3 is substantialy different than the concept. The i3 did carry over some features from the concept I never imagined would be in a production car. The all glass tailgate is one.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Some people are just not used to the design cues and proportions being employed by most EVs, not even a Nissan Leaf owner, as Nissan have tried their best to make it look like a regular ICE mid sized hatchback.

My neighbour has a MK2 Leaf and has had a good look around my ID3. He says he'll probably swap his Leaf for an ID3 next year, with interior space and style a big plus for him. He likes the exterior too.
I think that the Leaf II 's poor sales track record proves that odd designs can have strong initial sales but dwindle very quickly after a year or so. They keep selling at a trickle pace but nothing spectacular.
I wonder what went through Nissan's design team's heads when they designed the Leaf II. I saw it first by chance when it was being premiered at the 2nd floor of the Sony building in Ginza and right away thought "whyyyyyyy?".
I'm seeing a similar pattern with the sales of the ID.3, where the design is as polarising if not more so.

I think that the ID.4 will become a bigger sales success because of its more balanced design.

I think that I would have liked it more if it was designed as a more sporty-looking version of a Golf VIII with tail lights more like the concept version or at least something that looks in balance with the front.

I hope that VW do a better job on the ID.2 and offer less polarising, more mainstream designs such as these renderings:

1 - 20 of 337 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.