Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to electric driving, I've had my Ampera for a week, estimated range when I collected it was 30 miles.

During the course of the week I've managed to increase the range to 36 miles, doing mainly short city stop start trips.

I started of using L as I thought the brake regen would slow the mileage decline.

However after reading a few threads including some great tips from Paul Churchley (sorry if that is spelt wrong) switched to D today and range increased from 34 to 36 for the first time when I went out this evening.

I found in D the joys of gliding for the first time.

Anyway the question I have is when people say they have had the Ampera for a week and achieved 50+ range, are you also new to the electric vehicle scene or using lots of know how to increase the range, or is it purely because people are achieving these ranges in 50 mile an hour stretches without many stop, starts.

I also realise that this is probably not the best time of year to be trying to achieve the desired range due to the temperature, in my case the temp has ranged from 9 degrees C to 17 degrees C (today) when I got up to 36 miles.

I also appreciate that it also depends on your temperature settings and probably lots of other random variables.

Any as always your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,923 Posts
I tend to drive in two styles - performance or economy.

Performance - A short drive when I know I will only use electric - either by charging at destination or short trip there and back. In this style I use Sport mode and have some fun.

Economy - A longer drive where I will/may use some petrol, Here my aim is to minimise the amount of petrol, so I drive like there is a box of eggs on the passenger seat - Anticipate and accelerate/brake very gently. Cruise set to 65 on motorway! An example is Newbury to Westfield in London - have done it all on electric once or twice 52.5 miles :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think many of us have come from cars that we tried to achieve good mpg from, prior to getting an EV.
For me, I have always tried to beat the official mpg figures for every car I have driven. I'm just sad like that ;)
The best tip I was given many years ago was that you can only burn fuel once, so press the pedals like you are burning £50 notes every time you touch them. That generally makes me pull away gently and smoothly, and I tend to use engine braking/regen to slow down, rather than pressing the brake pedal.
It's the basics of hypermiling I guess, but it makes for a nice relaxing drive :)

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Hi, I'm new to electric driving, I've had my Ampera for a week, estimated range when I collected it was 30 miles.

During the course of the week I've managed to increase the range to 36 miles, doing mainly short city stop start trips.

I started of using L as I thought the brake regen would slow the mileage decline.

However after reading a few threads including some great tips from Paul Churchley (sorry if that is spelt wrong) switched to D today and range increased from 34 to 36 for the first time when I went out this evening.

I found in D the joys of gliding for the first time.

Anyway the question I have is when people say they have had the Ampera for a week and achieved 50+ range, are you also new to the electric vehicle scene or using lots of know how to increase the range, or is it purely because people are achieving these ranges in 50 mile an hour stretches without many stop, starts.

I also realise that this is probably not the best time of year to be trying to achieve the desired range due to the temperature, in my case the temp has ranged from 9 degrees C to 17 degrees C (today) when I got up to 36 miles.

I also appreciate that it also depends on your temperature settings and probably lots of other random variables.

Any as always your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Anyone CAN get 50 miles from an Ampera or 100 miles from a Leaf. All you need to do is drive round with the climate control switched off at about 40mph. If you want to use the heater or drive the car on A roads or motorways you won't get those numbers.

Best I've had from my Leaf is 63 miles, worst would be in the low 50s. I always have the climate control on auto at 20C and drive at 70mph on dual carriageways and motorways.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had previously driven a few EV's before getting my Ampera. I pre heat when I can and use the climate on eco 21 degrees. I do lots and lots of motorway miles and have been keeping the speed below 60 when in battery mode.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
63 miles seems scarily low on the Leaf? I admit I tend to leave Climate off, but I've always managed my 55-ish mile commute (mostly motorway or twisty B road, a reasonable amount of town).

Albeit I sometimes arrive home with Low Battery warning flashing (worse day was when I had the heater on at 26 all the way home and it had been pouring with rain both ways).

I don't hang about either. Driving like a granny I can do it on about 65% of the battery.

It's the road mix which affects the range people achieve - if I just sit on the motorway at normal speeds then I'll be getting jumpy at the 40 mile mark. But I had a pure A/B road drive the other week and wasn't stressed about 60 miles with a detour at the end.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Anyone CAN get 50 miles from an Ampera or 100 miles from a Leaf. All you need to do is drive round with the climate control switched off at about 40mph. If you want to use the heater or drive the car on A roads or motorways you won't get those numbers.

Best I've had from my Leaf is 63 miles, worst would be in the low 50s. I always have the climate control on auto at 20C and drive at 70mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
Hands up, I rarely use the climate control, but then i have only used the air conditioning on previous cars in the height of summer. So it's not a change to my habits.

But you are spot on, climate and speed are the two biggest factors. At 20mph, you could probably see 70 miles from an Ampera, and 140 from a leaf ;)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
With the temperatures you quote, Im not surprised you're getting mid to high thirties. We are approaching the time of year when that is very typical in the Ampera.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I went for my first longer trip (for me) last night.

On the trip to pick up a friend, covered about 10 miles but only knocked 4 miles of my range, using gliding technique and also only doing about 45-50 on B roads, then was chatting to friend so forgot all economy techniques as I was distracted, traveled a total of about 42 miles and ice switched on for the last couple of miles.

I was a little disappointed that I only lasted just over a week before having to switch to the black stuff but on the plus side now `i have it won't bother me so much in the future...

Range was back to 34 miles this morning...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The range on the dashboard is a best guess based on your last few journeys. It is always on the conservative side, so as not to force you into petrol earlier than you expect.
Just treat it as a vague idea of electric range, and you won't be far off ;)

·
Premium Member
11,923 Posts
I am still getting >40 mile range in Berkshire, one trip was 48 miles electric earlier in the week I find once temp gets below 10C in day is when my range starts to drop noticeably.

I suspect predicted range on a new car will be set pessimistic. If you do a longer journey driving economically it should increase - assuming weather stays mild.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you do a longer journey driving economically it should increase - assuming weather stays mild.
...that ends tomorrow round 'ere! :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Basically avoid: Hills, Speed, Stopping, Wind, Rain and Cold...

Best chance for 50 is around or above 20C. I think it might still be possible around 16C with all other conditions favourable, but I don't think it's possible to get 50 below 12C..

20 mins of mains preheat will always help (2 cycles). If you trundle around flat countryside (minimum junctions) at 40mph you will get the best results. D is best for range (don't spend the power unless its needed - aim for no recovery, N will actually coast further than D!).

As for hills: Don't leave it to the cruise control, if it's a down then up keep the power on on the down to bring speed up to 55-60 then be as light as you can on the up even if it means slowing right down, recover back to 40 on the flat.. if you have an up hill first build up a small head of steam(speed) on the flat and again let it run the hill without flooring it. aim for a low speed cresting as you'll get it back on the down side. again on the down carry out a bit more speed (50-55) and use it for range, don't bank it (by regen, unless it'll be wasted through drag ie 60-70mph).

As an aside always drive responsibly, and courteously to other road users, choose a quiet time and place if you are going to play about whilst driving. (ie don't be a rolling roadblock!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts