Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Personally... I will need to use a public charger maybe 20 times a year... but when I do, I wont care about the costs because of the convienence.
How else will I be able to own an EV and go to Cornwall or North Wales or Scotland for a break?
100% it’s about the value, not the cost.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to do a journey by ICE because the EV was waiting a new tyre. It cost me £40 in diesel. If I had been able to take the EV, I would have needed a ~30kWh charge. Deducting the £2 home charge consumed on the way out, I could have paid £1 per kWh and bought lunch and still been better off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't believe that's correct. A quick check shows commercial rates are generally slightly less per unit compared to domestic rates. There are also day/night/evening/weekend rates that vary and these varying rates are offered to business customers. This averages out to bring the overall cost down.

They do have to pay more VAT.
Won't the supermarkets be able to deduct the VAT they pay on electricity from the VAT charged to customers so in effect they don't pay it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
What an odd comment. So you are in a BEV with a 200 mile range, and are 30 miles from home in a garden centre so you can get home fine on battery, yet you believe you need a charge more than someone who lives 30 miles away and who in 2 miles if they don’t get a charge will have their petrol engine fire up, and they will have to drive home on fossil fuel?? Just because you are “better” than them for having a BEV? Do you think you have more “right” to a free charge than them - who couldn’t get home on their small battery?

Very environmentally friendly......

PHEV’s have much smaller ranges on battery, so actually benefit more from a slow destination charger than the EV driver with 70% battery left, so no, the PHEV driver should go to the top of the list - unless you believe that it’s better to burn fossil fuel than use an EV......
the example I was commenting on was all cases where the people in the list couldn’t get home On a charge or did not have home charging. The PHEV wouldn’t have enough electric but has a fuel tank to fall back on therefore is least in need of the electric and can safely be bottom of the list. All others would be first come first serve as I said

·
Registered
872 Posts
the example I was commenting on was all cases where the people in the list couldn’t get home On a charge or did not have home charging. The PHEV wouldn’t have enough electric but has a fuel tank to fall back on therefore is least in need of the electric and can safely be bottom of the list. All others would be first come first serve as I said
Very unlikely in a BEV you couldn’t get home and would then rely on a 7kw post? If you are that low in a bev you need a fast charger.....

And how would you police it?

Sorry, if you have an electric car I think you should be allowed to plug-in. As a decent EV owner, if I was in a PHEV and a bev needed a charge desperately, of course I would allow them to go first but the reality is, you don’t know who is coming in 10min time.....

41 - 44 of 44 Posts