Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all talk of new rapid charging I do think having 7kW charging at all public car parks is also a must, wish it was being made compulsory to add 1% of the spaces.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With all talk of new rapid charging I do think having 7kW charging at all public car parks is also a must, wish it was being made compulsory to add 1% of the spaces.
I feel it would be ideal for the big attractions, eg Thorpe Park, bird world, etc to have a large number of 7kw chargers. These are the places people travel long distances to get to, and then spend all day parked up, needing a full battery to get them home afterwards.

Reactions: Olivier and Neilew

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
No! :devilish: ;)

What was the question? Oh Yes, 1% is way too few and you need a mechanism to avoid them being ICEd that doesn't result in EVs being dispatched to the further corner of a muddy field.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
you need a mechanism to avoid them being ICEd
Auto-trebuchet.*

Should make repeat offenders redundant fairly quickly.

*It fires if it doesn't detect a charging session initiated within 30 seconds.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
Auto-trebuchet.*

Make it two minutes to give us chance to plug in & select the correct app or card from the hundreds we'll need by then!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Oh, I see. You're one of those people that download the app after you've parked in the charging bay!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
Auto-trebuchet.*

That would be a ride and a half, far more exciting than any of the other rides! It'll need to reset quickly to meet demand. :cool:

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,630 Posts
Absolutely. We are rapidly getting to the stage where it is becoming a necessity for all public car parks to have a good proportion of 7kW charging spaces.

I'd say 5%, or even 10% is a minimum for new car parks nowadays - a huge number of EVs are being sold, a LOT of them to people who have no way of charging them at home and therefore spend a huge amount of time blocking rapid chargers. Even with lockdowns on, 7kW chargers are regularly at high levels of usage. If that doesn't mean more are required, I don't know what does.

And if you're unlucky enough to live near a DPD depot, you will know the pain of having only a small numebr of sockets and someone who doesn't have home charging. The only way to solve this is capacity and number of sockets, not rapid chargers.

It is NOT a practical solution for people without home charging to have to rely on rapids - it's an incredibly bad use of money and time and makes far more sense to have the same number of cars charging more slowly whilst their owners do something useful.

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel it would be ideal for the big attractions, eg Thorpe Park, bird world, etc to have a large number of 7kw chargers. These are the places people travel long distances to get to, and then spend all day parked up, needing a full battery to get them home afterwards.
Yes I know Chester Zoo have a few

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well based on 1000 spaces we will be lucky to find more than 1% but if we knew every car park did without having to check beforehand that would be a good start.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
It would also work for people overstaying on Rapids - as long as a quick release mechanism for the cable could be designed.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
There's a relatively small Aldi in Bradford now with 4 (free!) EV chargers in it. Looks like there's more to come too!

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
133 Posts
No point having 7jw chargers with very limited times.. Having to return to the car, unplug it, then find somewhere else to park after an hour and maybe 30 miles of juice can be more effort than it's worth!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
It would also be good to have tethered chargers (type 2) as it's now the standard.
It maybe the standard for new cars but a sizable proportion of existing cars have Type 1.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,630 Posts
No point having 7jw chargers with very limited times.. Having to return to the car, unplug it, then find somewhere else to park after an hour and maybe 30 miles of juice can be more effort than it's worth!
That 30 miles could easily be enough for someone who can't charge and home and keep them off rapid chargers... Just because it doesn't fit your perfect world use case, doesn't mean it isn't useful for somebody.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts