Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had an eGolf since January and cant fault it or EV motoring in general. A few things I have noticed that may help new EV drivers.

Often I Need to take my lad to football around the country and in these covid times I am unable to watch so find myself with a few hours to spare. Recently we were in Oxford, next to the BMW plant. Zapmap showed it's chargers but didn't make it clear if they were open to the public or if the BMW chargers would work with other cars, I opted to take the ICE for ease but felt it was an opportunity wasted. Another question in a similar vein, can you pull up to dealer forecourts and use their chargers, again they show up on zapmap but i assume these are for customers only?

I was recently in Cheltenham taking my wife for an appointment, I thought I'd drop her off and charge somewhere for an hour, in that instant I drove around for half an hour and didnt actually find any of the 3 chargers that were shown on the map!

Where do people go when visiting unfamiliar areas and need to have a top up but not a rapid? Or am i being unrealistic?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I would try zap-map to locate a charger near to where I will be and then look for the site/app for whoever operates it and use that for more information. If it is a dealership then you could call ahead and ask if the charge points are open to the public and if so if there is any cost involved. Even asking if they know of any other chargers in that area might have them offering their one for you to use. Some supermarkets are installing some charge points there so that is another possibility, again you would need to check zap-map and then the operator.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
I would just bin the ZapMap app, its a steaming file of fail. Use the old faithful Plugshare, which seems to have the most active user base with regular checkins (Zapmap checkins appear to be bots or networks posting their chargers are fixed without testing them). Or ABRP or one of the other new routing apps, they seem pretty reliable.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,019 Posts
I was initially impressed by zapmap however.... they favour information from networks over user reports, they also just don't listen. I told them three times that a local pub was closed down and up for lease, that all three tesla destination chargers were without power. They just marked one as down and ignored several other reports. In areas with few charge points some on zapmap haven't had a usage report in literally years, so probably no longer exist but how would you know?

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I opted for Zap-Map as I preferred it after trying others, I do have ABRP but not used it yet. From my very limited experience of needing a charge away from home, in future the thing to do is just find a rapid and get it out the way unless a supermarket (podpoint) is nearby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts