Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have three holiday cottages in beautiful Devon and have just installed a untethered 7.7kw fast charger in the garage for customer use. We only recently got our leaf but I can see that having this at the base makes Devon so much more accessible. Will have to charge £5 a night for use which includes the lockable garage.
Have a look www.ramstorland.co.uk

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
I think the charger should be a perk and benefit. £5 a night is a bit expensive and loose. Someone could turn up in a Twizy or a Tesla. If I was staying there I would be taking a 3-pin plug charger and charging for free. Just saying. Most holiday accommodations have onsite charging in the form of your portable charger. While you might not be wanting to use a 3-pin plug charger on a daily basis, for the period of a holiday it is always fine, and quite a handy option.

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
I think the charger should be a perk and benefit. £5 a night is a bit expensive and loose. Someone could turn up in a Twizy or a Tesla.
Not sure what that has to do with it. Even Tesla owners aren’t going to drive 300 miles a day while on holiday.

It’s the average mileage that matters, not the car. I suspect £5 is about right and the owner will rarely be out of pocket.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
@cah197 you are quite right does not matter what the car is really, was just pointing out it seems loose, and most will travel on holiday in their BEV with a 3-pin. I don't see the point in charging a BEV driver for electricity to charge the car when the electricity to cook their dinner is not charged any extra. Electricity is included in an accommodation as free (built into booking price) or a set fixed price. Just my feedback and thoughts for the OP really. They can and will of course do as they please.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think £5 a night is too much. But £5 or £10 for a stay is appropriate. If I charged up my 40 kWh Zoe once it would cost me at home around £6.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I agree, £5 a night seems high to me and £10-£15 for the stay would seem more equitable.

I doubt many will be driving the 100 miles or so a day every day they'd need to reach a fivers worth of electricity for that day. Since the local countryside looks so lovely, I'd be walking around the area, and maybe just a few short trips out and about, so if I'd stayed a week I'll have paid £35 but probably used £15 of electric if you reason vistors will arrive low on electric and fully charge up before leaving.

I'd probably pay it and it might even encourage me to visit these cottages over others, but it would leave a slight feeling of being taken advantage of.

p.s. how does it work since there are three cottages and just one charger? Does that mean i may be out of luck? What happens if I've booked the "charger/garage"and then another guest sees me charging up and says "oh can i charge after you're done please". Do i charge them a fee? Or say no? And now the benefit of a charger is only available to one of the three cottages?

My suggestion would be, a single charge of £10-£15 for a weeks use of the shared charger, and a request for visitors to be considerate and unplug once charged. Pity its inside a garage which would mean some car shuffling is needed to share as well.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Cottages with charging will start to attract more people over time but paying £35 a week for juice could be seen as expensive. Few people would need 250 kWh's at 14p per unit that week as it would represent 900 to 1000 driving miles.

Assuming, worst case, that they arrive empty and want to leave with a full battery then even in a 40 kWh car that would only be 80 kWh's, plus whatever weekly use they need. And I doubt if they would be driving 600 miles locally in that holiday week to justify the extra charge.

As has been suggested, a more modest charge of £15 per week wouldn't raise any eyebrows and more often than not be enough to cover the actual usage.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
more modest charge of £15 per week wouldn't raise any eyebrows
That would also raise my eyebrows. It is technically cheaper than Instavolt (from 1st June) on a big charge I guess if I am to be kind :)

I just feel you are already paying for electricity at a fixed rate or it is free (well built into the holiday accommodation cost). Just does not seem right to charge extra for car charging, it is a perk or it isn't there for me.

And I don't want to pick on the OP here but the holiday let is being post in the classifieds of an electric car forum just because it has car charging. I don't object to that actually, but does not feel right when looking for £5 a night and to basically profit from it. What good is that to my favourite EV, the Outlander? :D Why deter such a car from electric charging, would the OP rather the Outlander was spreading their oil exhaust fumes around Devonshire? If I am in my Leaf at this accommodation I would be 3-pin charging from the exact same electrical supply at no additional £5 cost per night.

Really not trying to bash the OP. Just had my say and wish them well with their holiday let, whatever they do or don't do charging wise.

·
Registered
512 Posts
@cah197 you are quite right does not matter what the car is really, was just pointing out it seems loose, and most will travel on holiday in their BEV with a 3-pin. I don't see the point in charging a BEV driver for electricity to charge the car when the electricity to cook their dinner is not charged any extra. Electricity is included in an accommodation as free (built into booking price) or a set fixed price. Just my feedback and thoughts for the OP really. They can and will of course do as they please.
I've just come back from a cottage where the owner thinks of electric car charging as something which will become the norm and is free/included in the price in the same way that people expect WiFi these days.

Having the facility but wanting to nickle'n'dime it wouldn't even get a look from me.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Anyone considered the cost of installing the charger? I can't imagine there's a grant available for that one.
I think 35p at a rapid is expensive when I only pay 8p at home, but that's the price of having to charge when taking a longer trip.
If it was £5 every time it was used that would be reasonable, if it's a flat rate that needs to be payed every day then its like being charged a cleaning charge or a cost for use of towels. I'll moan about it while we are booking but will still pay it if the overall cost is comparable with other places.
If there's no other charging near by then it will make the cottage much more useful as you are guaranteed a charge, even if it is shared, but that's not that likely yet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Even at 11p I would have to fill my car to 243% of it's capacity to get my money's worth for that £5.

That would be about 145 miles worth of range, per day.

Don't compare with prices at Rapids, I can accept a significant premium for the convenience of filling up in 10-15 minutes, I wouldn't pay anything like that for slow charging.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Basically it will cost you nothing more than what your already paying for the accommodation to 3-pin charge. So your effectively being charged £5 a night to save you the inconvenience of getting the 3-pin out the boot (and possibly plugging an extension lead into the cottage). Not much of an inconvenience really to save £5 a day while on holiday.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
We've seen this from a couple of advertisers now. I do think that a bit of research is needed on their part to get a reasonable price. £5 per night isn't right and £15 is too much. Just include in the price and be grateful you have a booking that you wouldn't have got without charging as the EV owner would have gone elsewhere. I know I would.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks for the conversations. I was posting here to test the water a bit frankly. We do only have one charger at the moment, if it really gets busy we could add more, that's a good problem.

We put it in the garage and added the small cost just so that only people who need it use it ( otherwise an ICE may use the garage and prevent you charging). But it would be first come first served. However there is no reason to use it every night if you dont need it, we have plenty of other parking, some covered and some not.

As for freecharging at other places on a 3 pin plug. We may find his becomes a no-no if it become more common. I have stayed in caravans that cost £50 a week, on a deal, they wont have E7, so filling 20kw a night would be an issue for them.

The £5 is far from being set in stone, so this is useful. Many thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
Who the heck is filling 20kWh per night??

So you have one charger and put it in a limited access area so if you have multiple guests that could use it they would have to negotiate moving cars around as well as ensuring they pay your £5 tariff.

It won't happen, they'll either use three-pin while your not looking or go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Andy, your parking situation may not allow it but if the charger was in an area accessible to more than one car then the charger could be used by at least two cars and you could have marked the area for electric car charging only rather than the somewhat draconian method of putting it inside a locked garage.

Indeed just having accessible 13 amp sockets with cabling rated for charging near the parking spaces would likely have been a simpler and cheaper option so you could do that for the other cottages, after all most people will be happy to slow charge overnight and it will prevent people running extension cables through windows and perhaps stressing circuits that aren't up to continuous draw.

If you did that then the whole complex could be BEV and PHEV friendly at low install cost to you and there's no lottery for customers wondering if they were first to book. And someone who wants to pay extra for faster charging and a garage can still do so..

As it is, instead of the charger being ICEd now it may be BEV'd since if there are two people with BEVs only one can use it and the cottages don't really then benefit from being "BEV friendly" it becomes a lottery when I book if I get the charger or not.

And as I asked before , what happens if someone else asks to use the charger when I'm done ? I might not be so happy about that if I am paying a fiver a day and they are getting it for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again. Having lots of electric cars vying for charging space was my "good problem" and yes 13a circuits maybe the solution there. I like the fast charge as I can top up after a day's drive to use the car in the evening. But I do get that isn't for everyone and definately not something for every day.

There are only 3 cottages so people work out parking amicably, I'd expect this to be the same.

I do get that EV drivers are used to plugging in wherever they are for free but I do suspect that as EV becomes more widespread people catch on and stop this. I know of a few carparks who have cut off random 3 pin plugs because they were being used for charging. A full 20kw seems a big charge but not unlikely ( and set to rise as battery capacity increases), at 20p kw/h peak that's £4. For the unsuspecting that mounts up.

But very interesting for me. Thanks again.

·
Leaf lover
3,696 Posts
Many thanks for the conversations. I was posting here to test the water a bit frankly. We do only have one charger at the moment, if it really gets busy we could add more, that's a good problem.

We put it in the garage and added the small cost just so that only people who need it use it ( otherwise an ICE may use the garage and prevent you charging). But it would be first come first served. However there is no reason to use it every night if you dont need it, we have plenty of other parking, some covered and some not.

As for freecharging at other places on a 3 pin plug. We may find his becomes a no-no if it become more common. I have stayed in caravans that cost £50 a week, on a deal, they wont have E7, so filling 20kw a night would be an issue for them.

The £5 is far from being set in stone, so this is useful. Many thanks
As ev grow in numbers what would be reasonable to expect at a holiday cottage?
All customer parking bays to have a 3 pin socket.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts