Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know if someone tried to put BMW i3 like tyres to a Leaf? And do there exist such small rims fitting to the Leaf?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
OMG! I hope they don't. Everything about the car is designed around the tyres it come with. I don't suppose it would be at all safe. It would certainly constitute a modification and so unless you inform you insurance it might invalidate it.

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
It's easy to spin the wheels with the current tyres, anything thinner would really struggle with traction I think!

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi I posted similar question
I discovered 1. that fatter tyres roll better than thin as thin ones squash out flat anyway
2. Its not easy to find a tyre place to fit thinner tyres they only will fit same size
3. the weight of the car is approx1800kg where a BMW i3 is 1400
so I am going to stick to the same size 205 x55x16

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It's easy to spin the wheels with the current tyres, anything thinner would really struggle with traction I think!
I've not found wheelspin to be a problem at all, and I drive mine hard (no range worries).
Assuming you're at correct pressures, it can only be the brand/type you're using.
Simply changing tyres can transform a car from a wheelspinning mess to perfectly fine.
My Alpina was a mess on Michelin Pilot sport, could be floored even in low gears on Falken.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My concern would be around braking distance, the leaf is relatively heavy, so fitting a tyre which reduced the contact patch to the road would affect braking distance, especially in adverse weather conditions, so you may save a few pence in electricity, but may cost you a lot more if you cause an accident.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Realistically, how many more miles would you gain doing this?
Compared with the potential insurance costs because you've deviated from standard?
This is the kind of 'hyper-miling' that just baffles me....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts