Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 250 mile road trip, 3 people plus luggage. I set off with 100% battery and drove 105 miles at 50-65 mph arriving at first rapid charger with 30% remaining and charged to 97%. I then drove a further 100 miles at 70-75 mph arriving at the second rapid charger with 17% remaining and charged to 83% battery. shortly after setting off on the final leg of the journey, I got a warning that the battery was too hot and that power would be restricted, I reduced my speed where possible and thankfully the speed limits were lower, the warning went off only to reappear when climbing a long steep hill... the outside temperature was between 21-17

Thanks for any advice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
doesnt sound like it, i have done that kind of journey many times and never had that come up - on much hotter days as well. Going from 30 to 97% must have taken at while as well as there charges shoudl taper the KWH delivered down to 7kwh (or lower) when it gets over 85% ish
 

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
Joined
·
6,939 Posts
The battery in the Leaf 40 isn't cooled at all so it will get too hot with a) long rapid charging b) driving at 70mph. Both together means it gets too hot far sooner.

If this is going to be a regular journey the Leaf 40 may not be suitable unfortunately.

Did you buy from a Nissan dealer?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,463 Posts
I took a 250 mile road trip, 3 people plus luggage. I set off with 100% battery and drove 105 miles at 50-65 mph arriving at first rapid charger with 30% remaining and charged to 97%. I then drove a further 100 miles at 70-75 mph arriving at the second rapid charger with 17% remaining and charged to 83% battery. shortly after setting off on the final leg of the journey, I got a warning that the battery was too hot and that power would be restricted, I reduced my speed where possible and thankfully the speed limits were lower, the warning went off only to reappear when climbing a long steep hill... the outside temperature was between 21-17

Thanks for any advice
Did you change to 100% at home right before setting off? if so you started with a warm battery.

Rapid charging to 97% is a bad idea for a few reasons - 1) it takes ages as the charge rate above 80% is so slow 2) occupying the charger delivering only 5 or so kW when the person queuing behind you can plug in and use it at 50kW seems a bit impolite 3) your battery heats up more when being charged or discharged at very high or low % levels 4) with the Leaf in particular there is no cooling happening when charging, only while driving, so driving at lower speeds and charging for less time gets you to your destination quicker and heats you battery less.

Main error, should have rapid charged to 80% not 97%, and then driven the second leg at 60-65mph. You'd have arrived earlier, with a cooler battery, and paid less for charging (y)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,463 Posts
Maybe check if your Leaf has had the software update that is supposed to alleviate this problem.
Probably has had the update to allow higher charging rate for longer, which then causes the battery to overheat!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is 3 weeks old and this was my first long trip .. family holiday so not a regular thing usually a 30 mile round trip. Car was topped up to 100% the day before. I had planned to only rapid to 80% the first time but was delayed by 20 minutes getting back to stop the charge, thankfully there were two units and no one was waiting... starting with the extra charge might have been a blessing because I arrived at the second charger with 13% less charge than predicted by zap map ... for my return journey home I think I’ll stick to 60-65mph if safe ..... thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,463 Posts
No worries, it's all a learning curve! I have to say arriving with 13% charge would not worry me at all, I have before rolled up to a rapid charger with 2% left, and that's with a "24"kwh battery not a 40kwh one :D
 

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
@No gasoline required have you run your trip through ABetterRoutePlanner? It is claimed to be better at planning trips (not only by name ;) ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
In my experience with the 40Kwh, is that the battery with having no cooling readily heats up quickly with rapid charging and high speed driving (70mph +) It is alright to do either rapid charging or high speed driving, but not both at the same time.

From the scenario that you described, you were correct to set off with a 100% battery capacity (ideally completed 8 hours before you set off). You were correct to do the first rapid charge at 100 miles distance and you should look to charge to 92% ( you should easily be able to do that in 45 minutes which you are entitled to do even if somebody is waiting as you are travelling a distance).

Where it went wrong for you is that you didn’t monitor the battery temperature gauge, never let it go into the red, driving at high speed after the first rapid is a no no, if you had ducked behind a wagon at 58 mph, then the battery temperature would have reduced, and it would only have added an extra 20 minutes to your journey, and you wouldn’t have had any anxiety.

Please remember that the 40Kwh is not a 70mph car, your can do that speed on a shortish commute, but not on a long distance trip.

If you want the do the scenario that you describe, you need the LEAF 62KWh car, which is a 70mph car.
 

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
Joined
·
6,939 Posts
The Leaf 60 doesn't have any thermal management either. I've never driven one at 70 to see whether it heats up the pack too but by virtue of not needing charging for 200 odd miles you avoid the subsequent issue with over heating as you don't need the second rapid.

I got my 40 quite warm with just 2 short 20 minute rapids in a day and that was with a couple of hours of it sat about doing nothing in between before driving for a bit before topping it up again. I hadn't started with a full charge as it was an unplanned trip so it really shows how it is let down by the lack of any battery cooling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,176 Posts
It's not just the 40kWh.

Yesterday I drove our 30kWh Leaf 60 miles on mostly motorway - admittedly into a strong headwind which ran it right down to 20% and then was in a situation where I had to rapid charge again for the return without having time to let it cool down. After that rapid charge the battery was at 39C according to Leafspy... Ouch. On the return 60 mile journey the temperature dropped slightly to 37C so the rapid charge was the main culprit in raising the temperature.

Without any battery cooling I think all models of Leaf are only a 1 to 2 rapid charge per day car, and if you need more than that then you've bought the wrong car. While some (like the 30) will let you do more than two rapid charges without slowing down the charge rate the battery will be really toasty by then and this it is definitely not good for the battery long term.

These are not cars for regular long distance driving. I bought ours for daily commuting and just the occasional longer journey that usually requires at most one rapid charge, and for this usage profile it does well enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Next time do three shorter charges to 75% max. Cut charge early and drive up hill at below 60 mph and down hill with only one blue bar of power consumption and will be ok.
Check battery temp it jumps up five blobs to hot last two blobs seem quicker than first few.
You will spend a few minutes less charging on journey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your input ... one of the deciding factors in my chosen route was to use rapids that Took contactless payment (Engenie & Instavolt) They worked flawlessly... what’s with using an App 😡 I will avoid them at all costs and hope others will too and hopefully people voting with their feet and wallets, things will change
I found zap maps predicted Battery % On arrival accurate on two of my three legs .. but the middle leg was short, if I hadn’t of started with 97% instead of the 80 that I had planned, I would have arrived with only 5%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the second leg of my journey zap maps suggests setting off with 80% charge to drive 100 miles arriving with 18% remaining... something I was comfortable with as it was my first road trip and was anxious about running low on power

What actually happened was that I started off with 97% and traveled 106 miles arriving with 17% remaining. Can you now see that there is missing %

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
For the second leg of my journey zap maps suggests setting off with 80% charge to drive 100 miles arriving with 18% remaining... something I was comfortable with as it was my first road trip and was anxious about running low on power
Be careful with these planners. If it is anything like ABRP, it does calculate the trip and with small print writes something like "Max 62mph". Very difficult to miss and drive normally and you are f$$$ed.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top