Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Did you order because of Maddie Goes Electric

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FullyCharged Youtube channel has 633k subscribers. Edisode 1 got 186k view and possibly more of interest to e-Niro watchers, Episode 2 got 125k views. That's surely a massive boost for Kia UK Sales.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love to buy one, but it's not available on my company car list. The Soul is, but i'd prefer the eNiro.
You work for the Royal Mail - the e "Postman Pat Van" Soul lol !!! Only joking, but that's how I see that thing. I love the inside of the e-Niro - it's a car, not trying to be a bl00dy futuristic spaceship

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wait until you see them plug it into their first Ecotricity AC rapid instead of the CCS! :)

Still everybody has to start somewhere I guess, a small hiccup on there EV learning curve. At least they manged to get the 2nd attempt to rapid charge on an Engie charger to work after phoning them up as they didn't have an account and they used the correct CCS connector this time :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I think it offers a good insight to some people who maybe thinking about entering into the deep pool of the world of EV’s.
They supply answers to basic questions that people can access too without even leaving the house !.
I believe some people may have questions regarding EV’s but find it embarrassing to ask, unless they treated like utter fools !.
With this basic knowledge, it can help build the confidence in people to further their quest into electric cars !.
But I think this was always the intention of making the videos in the first place really !.
Anything that increases people attention towards the world of EV’s is no bad thing in my book.
Keep it simple / stupid as they say !.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd already ordered it by the time the series started
Yep, I think most people will have already ordered it as the series only just came out a couple of weeks ago. I was quite pleased that she chose the E-Niro though when I watched it. It'll probably give people more confidence in it when deciding, but with lots more EV options available in the next few months, it will be interesting to see how well the E-Niro continues to stack up. I think it will do just fine btw.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Yep, I think most people will have already ordered it as the series only just came out a couple of weeks ago. I was quite pleased that she chose the E-Niro though when I watched it. It'll probably give people more confidence in it when deciding, but with lots more EV options available in the next few months, it will be interesting to see how well the E-Niro continues to stack up. I think it will do just fine btw.
They choose the car with the most amount of range, for best price !.
Using a long range model 3 LR or a short range EV would have defeated the idea of the program I guess !.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Several on the expected delivery dates thread confirming they are only ordering now or have just ordered

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have had the car almost a year :)
Been watching the show though.
Although I did cringe at the line in ep2?

One of the first things you think about once you've got the car is how to charge it...

I researched that thoroughly before I got the car.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Maddie series of videos has been fun to watch, but it hasn't swayed me one way or the other. I'm a regular watcher of the Fully Charged and EVM videos on YouTube anyway.

I haven't yet made the switch to electric, although I intend to at the next car change. I just bought an i.c. Golf in November last year, and have yet to cover 2k miles in it. From what's available on the market to date, my personal choice could well be a Hyundai Ioniq, as I don't need a large people carrier type car. I'm not too keen on the styling of the Kona, but that's simply a personal thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had the car almost a year :)
Been watching the show though.
Although I did cringe at the line in ep2?

One of the first things you think about once you've got the car is how to charge it...

I researched that thoroughly before I got the car.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)
It is a great show, but it is for a different kind of audience who do not spend their time of EV forums researching things.
The episode today was cringe worthy when they put a Type 2 connector into the car instead of CSS, obviously setup, but it ruined the episode and was too negative.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder how many of the viewers are just there to see what they are up to with Maddie. Many will already subscribe to Fully Charged and know all about EVs. The analytics on how many find it by search would be interesting. I think their choice of Niro is right for now. I have done my reasearch and ordered a Soul last summer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wait until you see them plug it into their first Ecotricity AC rapid instead of the CCS! :)
I was shouting at the video - "No, not that one, that'll take ages to charge" Took me back to my childhood when I used to go to see a pantomime at Christmas LOL
Still, as it is aimed at newcomers to EVs, something like that would teach them more than if she had done it correctly in the first place. As they say, we learn from our mistakes.
I know some people look down on it in a patronising way, but I think it is a valuable guide if you are new to all this and done in a gentle but fun way.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Agree.
I know I keep saying this, but the program is aimed at people that is either still considering their first ever EV or like them, is still very new to the whole EV world !.
It's a very steep learning curve.
Regarding their first "Rapid"charging session.
Choosing the wrong cable was a very easy mistake for a "Noob" to make.
You notice on their second attempt at rapid charging, the advisor on the phone asked them twice, to confirm that they had chosen the correct charging connector in order for them to receive a rapid charge.
It is okay to make mistakes, you just have to learn from them that's all !.
People driving ICE cars fill up with petrol and think nothing of it on a regular basis.
It is hard to remember back to the first time any of us had to drive to a petrol station for the very first time in our lives.
You have to find out where the fuel goes, then struggle to get the petrol locking cap removed.
What type of fuel do I pick to put in the car ?.
How much fuel do need to put in the tank, and how much is going to cost ?.
Then, struggle to refit the locking cap, then go and pay for your fuel !.
After carrying out this refuelling process on a weekly occasion, it soon becomes a very stress free and second nature thing.
It's like most things in life, practice makes perfect.
The more often you use the public charging units, the easier it will become.
No different than going to the petrol station really.
Everybody gets it wrong sometimes, and while on that subject.
Like back in the day, of course NOBODY has filled their petrol car with derv by mistake, or the other way around - NO not me I hear you all shout, yeah right !.
Although, this is pretty much impossible to do this now though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
People driving ICE cars fill up with petrol and think nothing of it on a regular basis.
It is hard to remember back to the first time any of us had to drive to a petrol station for the very first time in our lives.
You have to find out where the fuel goes, then struggle to get the petrol locking cap removed.
What type of fuel do I pick to put in the car ?.
How much fuel do need to put in the tank, and how much is going to cost ?.
Then, struggle to refit the locking cap, then go and pay for your fuel !.
After carrying out this refuelling process on a weekly occasion, it soon becomes a very stress free and second nature thing.
It's like most things in life, practice makes perfect.
The more often you use the public charging units, the easier it will become.
No different than going to the petrol station really.
I'm like this every time I go to fill the LPG on our MoHo! 🤣😂

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are there good lease options on the Kia eNiro with good availability?

In the video Maddie says ""I got the EV on short term lease, which will get me plenty of time to grips with driving the EV, but by the end i should be able to work out if it is the right EV for me long term"? The Kia e-Niro has a 9 month waiting list in the UK. Can ordinary UK consumers go and 'short term lease an e-Niro as Maddie has done".

·
Registered
302 Posts
Finding one to lease might be a problem just now Warwick Boy, but I understand Kia are ramping up production to meet the huge demand for the eNiro. I did read somewhere that Kia are looking to meet all outstanding UK orders by July this year. You might just get lucky......

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Obviously, prior to their road trip, they only ever had used Type2 AC chargers. If you arrive at a charge point, you could question as to why a CCS charger unit even has a Type2 option there at all. An assumption was clearly made the the CCS connector must have been for some other car type.

If the Type2 plug was "Live" and lit the light on the dash, then it all seemed ok to them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts