Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Did buying an EV mean changing your car brand?

• No - My previous car was the same brand

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Yes - But I have owned the same brand before

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Yes - It's my first time owning a car from this brand

Votes: 84 66.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's poll time again!

I've heard a lot of times lately how most customers buying EVs come from another car brand/manufacturer. Really I'm just interested to see if that tallies with folk on here. It certainly does for me, the LEAF is my/our family's first Nissan.

The reason I used the jarring "B" word is that manufacturer can be a little vague, for example you may have gone Vauxhall to GM, MINI to BMW and those to me count as a change.

As ever always interested to hear your responses as much as see the votes. :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
Diesel Vauxhall Astra (SXi) to petrol Audi A3 ... to Vauxhall Ampera. I liked the "premium" feel of the cabin in the Audi compared with the Astra, but I think Vauxhall have done pretty well with the Ampera's cabin. I'm excited to see the A3 e-tron in August. But with the Benefit In Kind relief tapering off so quickly, my next vehicle is likely to be a diesel A3 :(

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think generally interior (and exterior) quality of vehicles seems to be equalising across makes and models, I presume as better fabrics become more affordable over time. I've been in expensive cars that have felt a little cheap, and cheap cars that have been surprisingly well put together over the past few years.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yep - I was inside some BMWs in the showroom last month, and thoroughly disliked most of the cabins. I was in a Mazda 3 yesterday, and loved it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not so much about brand as what technologies car manufactures are using dictated choice for me.
Although Audi's A3 e-tron could tempt me back to Audi.
I'm on me 2nd Leaf just recently changed. I will be replacing it in the next 2.5-3 years... I think the landscape will have changed considerably in that time. Cars like the BMW i8 helping to move peoples perception of PHEV/EV's.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm generally a Mazda fan, though I've driven all sorts over the years. This is my first Nissan though (except for a brief spell with an unbelievably dull Almera hire car while I was waiting for my company Vectra to arrive. The Vectra was awful too).

·
Registered
385 Posts
From a Toyota Prius 2nd Generation to a Toyota Plug in Prius,

and Toyota donated a loyalty bonus of £1,500 towards the price of the new car.

·
Registered
449 Posts
VW Golf to Nissan Leaf. Never tried nissan before but only viable product 2 years ago. Looking at all the VW offerings now I'd like to check out GTE but it's going to take a lot to sway my choice now. Probably first to offer double range at similar price to Leaf!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Audi to Ford to Skoda to Nissan.
Audi was worse car I've had, only kept for 9 months, Focus was fun to drive but thirsty, Skoda was fab but Nissan was electric!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Too many cars over the years to list, but in the last fifteen or so I went from several Fords, through two Skodas and ended up with Citroen for an EV. That was a mistake! The customer service from Citroen has been awful - I don't intend to buy another!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Land Rover Disco to Mitsubishi Outlander (PHEV). Definitely a compromise as I loved the quality feel of LR/RR (we had a Range Rover Sport too) and the Mitsi is nowhere near as nice a place to be as SWMBO's A3 sportline either. But it's good enough, and the cost savings are too great to ignore.

That said a 'proper' hybrid LR (not that ridiculous Range Rover thing) with sensible EV range if that's ever achievable would probably tempt me back...

@jontracey - I had to read and re-read your post because I thought you'd gone through all those in 2 weeks :D

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Toyota MR2 Turbo (Jap import with lowered springs as the turbo version wasn't a UK option) to Nissan Leaf.
Toyota tested the turbo car with a boost gauge and discovered it was producing 250hp which they said was manufacturers limit. Many have been boosted to 330hp and some to over 600. Put 45,000 miles on that without a single issue so most powerful car I owned in 35 years was also the most reliable. Recent reports suggest hey don't make 'em like that any more. It had great handling as it had the solid roof..GTS but the rear tyres wear out very quickly due to mid engine weight in cornering not just hp.
SWMBO had a Nissan Micra for 40,000 miles before though and that was bullet proof except for the throttle body which I bought and changed for £100 rather than pay Nissan the £475 they wanted.
Leaf has strangely been more enjoyable to drive than the MR2, quiet, smooth, a challenge to get the best out of which I enjoy, and run off our solar panel clad roof but have already had a new on board charger fitted fortunately under warranty. For some reason I enjoy the serenity of driving the Leaf even more at night on our rural country roads. Probably because they are empty of Panzer Waggons driven by people with their heads up their @rses.

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
Yep - I was inside some BMWs in the showroom last month, and thoroughly disliked most of the cabins. I was in a Mazda 3 yesterday, and loved it!
We switched from a BMW Z4 to our Leaf. The Z4 was our 5th or 6th BMW. It wasn't easy moving away from BMW but I have to agree I don't like the direction they are heading.

BMW have cost reduced the current 3 series interior. It is much more like the 1 now. I suspect they've done this to stay competitive on price in the US.

Z4 is perhaps the last "reasonably priced" BMW with a luxury interior. X1 isn't too bad either. MSRP on the Z4 is high but BMW usually have a highly discounted offer on the Z4.

Leaf is our first and probably last Nissan. Only other J car we've owned was a 2006 MX-5 Miata. I left the Miata behind when we moved to the UK in 2008.

Just yesterday I was thinking "I wish Mazda made an EV". The MX-5 is a perfect example of a budget interior done right.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mazda 3 interior really is lovely - much better than the slightly older 6. Mazda have often been criticised for their "low-rent" interiors but the 3 is definitely a huge step up.
If Mazda did an EV I would be in it tomorrow! (Well, you know...)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't have a long car history,but they've all been smallish hatches.A few of them French,the last couple being a Saxo then a 106,most recently a Panda on putting the 106 in for scrappage,then traded the Panda for my Zoe..

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
Is that because of your experience of the Leaf or of Nissan or ...?
Yeah.

Leaf isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Leaf has strong plus points, most of them coming from it being an EV.

I'm hoping that 2 1/2 years from now we will have a good alternative from a different manufacturer. We are about to move MUCH closer to work, so maybe we will switch to a Plug in Hybrid.

What I don't like:

Ours has the minor niggles and glitches that most of them seem to have. You'd think they'd have fixed the touchy brakes by now. In four months we've been forced to use the backup car twice. Once was because the 12V battery died for no apparent reason. Jump started the Leaf that evening and let the 12V battery charge.

The other time was because the car stopped charging overnight, leaving us without enough charge for the next day. The car has stopped charging before reaching 100% several times now. A few times it has made the house lights flicker or tripped a breaker. We had an electrician out and he couldn't find a fault in the house wiring. I've done some trouble shooting too and am certain there is an intermittent problem in the on-board charger. I expect the charger to fail completely at some point.

Leaf isn't a driver's car. Nothing wrong with that. Just not as much fun to drive as I'd like. I'd rather have something that drives like a BMW, MINI or MX-5.

Leaf is overly complex. There are a lot of buttons and controls. Many of them are poorly placed. Things like turning on the steering wheel heat or even using the cruise control are distracting. The instrument panel is overly busy.

I've owned several cars that I feel have a first rate control design. All our BMWs, the MX-5 and even my cheap little Vauxhall Combo van have well thought out instruments and switches. The Mazda was close to perfect although I'm not sure if that carried over to the RHD version.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts