Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
馃おIf only the charging times were less than 45 minutes. What!? How do these people end up in these positions. FFS

Registered
Peugeot e-208
Last time I checked, there were very pleasant trains connecting London with her relatives in Southern Scotland, the Lake District and North Wales. Baffling that the interviewer didn't push her on that.

Registered
Peugeot e-208
That said, I'm not sure owning a diesel should be a crime for someone in her position. She clearly uses it for long journeys, and is considering an EV for its eventual replacement.

Rather she was honest about that than ostentatiously owning an EV just for the sake of it.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That said, I'm not sure owning a diesel should be a crime for someone in her position. She clearly uses it for long journeys, and is considering an EV for its eventual replacement.

Rather she was honest about that than ostentatiously owning an EV just for the sake of it.
Yeah there are some valid reasons for someone living and working in London not yet having switched to an EV (provided they never drive it locally).

The main issue is with her, the bloomin鈥 COP26 spokesperson no less, perpetuating myths about EVs.

Unless it was supposed to be some cunning way of generating column inches in newspapers pointing out that actually plenty of current EVs could quite easily do a 250 mile journey with 1 stop under 45 minutes long.

Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And the reasons she gave are just so pathetic and shrouded in a) dishonesty, b) selfishness and c) ignorance:

a) she was considering changing her car to "another car" but then hurt her leg - doesn鈥檛 say whether she was considering changing to a full EV or maybe a hybrid. So she sort of attempts to give the impression she was about to switch to an EV鈥ut actually clearly isn鈥檛, given her later comments about not fancying one yet.

b) her primary concern (despite being COP26 spokesperson) is not having to do some parenting if a kid wakes up when stopping to charge.

c) despite being COP26 spokesperson (and it therefore being highly likely she will need to talk about EVs sooner or later) she has absolutely no idea about the range and charging time of currently available EVs - particularly ones that someone who was on 拢125k (in their previous role with the PM), would most likely be able to afford.

Registered
馃おIf only the charging times were less than 45 minutes. What!? How do these people end up in these positions. FFS
Even so, you don't need to do a 10% to 80% charge each time you stop. I've done several long journeys and just added enough to get me to my destination where I can plug in overnight, so the motorway stop was about 15-20 minutes.

Registered
Can't see what the fuss is all about.

An EV forum is filled with people interested in EVs and cars, but much of the public isn't that interested in cars and many people buy a car and keep it for many years, they're not switching PCPs or leases every 3 years. They buy a car, run it until it develops some issues and then buy another one.

She sounds like most of the population - already got a car, happy with it, don't see the need to change it immediately just to switch to an EV but will consider an EV when it comes around needing replacement. Ultimately that's how the country will move to EVs, gradually over time.

Registered
Last time I checked, there were very pleasant trains connecting London with her relatives in Southern Scotland, the Lake District and North Wales. Baffling that the interviewer didn't push her on that.
Visiting family with family, on weekend, using a train, during Covid? Err, I can think of a few reasons that wouldn't work.

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She sounds like most of the population
That鈥檚 great - except she鈥檚 the PM鈥檚 Climate Spokesperson for COP26. So it鈥檚 not quite the same as her being any old member of the public.

It should be about her trying to lead by example, and that may not necessarily mean her rushing out and getting an EV the moment she got the job, but at least know some actual stuff about what current EVs are now capable of, know that charging already takes less than 45 minutes, don鈥檛 perpetuate myths, and perhaps at least give the impression that you think the impact on climate is more important than whether or not little Johnny wakes up because he happened to be asleep at the time you needed to stop and charge.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
Even so, you don't need to do a 10% to 80% charge each time you stop. I've done several long journeys and just added enough to get me to my destination where I can plug in overnight, so the motorway stop was about 15-20 minutes.
I agree with your point, but it makes a couple of assumptions:
  • that the person being visited has a suitable place for charging - the estimate is that 40% of properties cannot be altered to provide this in the long term let alone the short-term when electrical supplies/wiring may not be suitable

• that relationship with the person being visited is such that they volunteer to allow the use of their electricity. In my ICE days I would never have expected to be given petrol/diesel when I visited relatives and it takes a significant change in mindset for both the visitor and host
If you cannot charge at your destination then a "splash and dash" recharge is not a saving but just deferring a more significant charge on the way home at which point you may have more time pressures let alone the need for charge to reliably reach an available Rapid.

Registered
The basic issue here is that the politician should have known her brief - and it was a bit of a huge trap for her to walk into.

Whether or not a BEV is right for her journey (personally I think it would be) is moot - she should have known how to respond.

Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The basic issue here is that the politician should have known her brief - and it was a bit of a huge trap for her to walk into.

Whether or not a BEV is right for her journey (personally I think it would be) is moot - she should have known how to respond.
Exactly - it鈥檚 not really about her own personal decisions - but about how she talks about them, given her position, and how that may influence other people making similar decisions by perpetuating the belief that all EVs are not suitable for "long" journeys.

I say long because some of the example she gave aren鈥檛 even long. I mean, London to Gloucestershire!?

Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would be interesting to hear form any EVers with young kids on here who have done long journeys and how they find it.

Registered
Would be interesting to hear form any EVers with young kids on here who have done long journeys and how they find it.
Friday: ID3. Left on 78%. North Norfolk to Manchester. 200 miles. Full car and a 5 year old in the back.

Left at 12:30 - arrived at 19:00. Terrible traffic on the A17 on the way back. Stopped for a 55(ish) to 80% top up and a sandwich at the IV in Boston. Eating and drinking took 15 min longer than charging... Got back home at c.25% The 5YO did really well... he likes the car - can talk to us easily and loads of room. Flat floor also means he can scamper across and get out of either back door easily without clambering over anything.

Registered
No need for kids. It's very bad if you are coming from a relatively hassle free stop when you want to with an ICE. As opposed to plan ahead, may need to divert to chargers then spend a looooonger time at some dire services. Then they may be in use or bust. And if you go at a busy time things change again. The other big thing is the cost of the car a LR Tesla is 拢50k. A diesel euro6 @ 2 years old can be had for 拢5k

Be good if someone could loan her an EV for a couple of months so she could get some real life experience. Then be able to make better decisions about EV infrastructure. And her choice of car.

Reactions: kbfern

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
LOL!
I can only read the top line of that (rest behind paywall), and what I read makes complete sense;-

"has criticised the infrastructure that she says is putting people off".

Hey, let's be grateful that someone in Gov is actually beginning to see this. OLEV have been like the 3 monkeys for the last 10 years on this.

What that line seems to imply is that she would go EV if that was resolved. Quite so. As well it should be resolved.

Registered
Users who hit the Guardian鈥檚 registration wall are given the option to register for free, sign in if they have an existing account or have contributed in the past, or dismiss the registration wall with a 鈥楴ot Now鈥 button (if you notice it!).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts