Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fair? Good?

I wonder if they will have to fill out a form and send it in to register to pay this extra charge, like ULEVs do to get in for free, or if because there's an extra charge involved – rather than a discount – the system will magically be able to handle it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28540259

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Taxing anyone more does not change behaviour, if it worked then no one would smoke any more, people just accept it and carry on doing what they did before.

If you want to change peoples behaviour you have to make the alternative much more palatable, not simply giving £5000 to the vendor of the car, but make the benefits of owning an ULEV so compelling that people switch.

The following would cost very little but I believe make a huge change

Nationwide free parking - issue something like the blue badge to ULEV owners
Bus lane access
Toll free - Dartford, M6 Toll etc
Congestion charge - already in place
Free charging - make it a part of OLEV funding that charge points funded from tax payers money must be free until 2020
Keep the BIK in at zero and incentivise the companies to offer ULEVs as part of company car schemes

What else do you think should be on the list ?

·
Super Moderator
7,448 Posts
Maybe something like the "HOV" lane access, you can drive on the hard shoulder in congested traffic?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Taxing anyone more does not change behaviour, if it worked then no one would smoke any more, people just accept it and carry on doing what they did before.

If you want to change peoples behaviour you have to make the alternative much more palatable, not simply giving £5000 to the vendor of the car, but make the benefits of owning an ULEV so compelling that people switch.

The following would cost very little but I believe make a huge change

Nationwide free parking - issue something like the blue badge to ULEV owners
Bus lane access
Toll free - Dartford, M6 Toll etc
Congestion charge - already in place
Free charging - make it a part of OLEV funding that charge points funded from tax payers money must be free until 2020
Keep the BIK in at zero and incentivise the companies to offer ULEVs as part of company car schemes

What else do you think should be on the list ?

Well I'm in Nottingham, so I'd want exemptions from the "Workplace Parking Levy". This currently stands at £362 per year, per space (And not just marked bays, if it possible to double park they charge you for those too, so our 16 bays, actually cost us 20 x £362 per year, and of course the fee is not inflation based next year it will be £379)

So I'd happily give staff free charge points if we could designate bays as EV only, and those bays were exempt from WPL.

Ultimately as a business owner, this has basically turned into additional rates, and as a lot of our employees have no sensible alternative but to commute by car, we could reduce our bill, and give employees the benefit of free charging, so win/win.

In my view, there are some wider social reasons for the tram, but to get funding they have falsely gone after the evil car users (ULEV included), partially through the WPL and subsequent central government matching. If it truly was to reduce traffic they'd have the tram go to the suburbs with the highest car ownership rates, not the lowest, but in the long run this would just lead to more disparity between the already widening gap of property prices and social problems between different areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts