Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the current public stations known as Rapid chargers what is the limits when two EV's try to use?

Is it right that even though there is AC and DC that both cannot be used at same time.

Just thinking as there are often 4 bays but only two chargers.

·
Super Moderator
11,686 Posts
Yes. The currently installed rapids can only charge one car at a time.

Not all of the rapids are CCS. Often an i3 can only use one of the two.

While an i3 can charge at 7kW from the AC side, it is poor form to tie up a rapid for hours.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
With the current public stations known as Rapid chargers what is the limits when two EV's try to use?

Is it right that even though there is AC and DC that both cannot be used at same time.

Just thinking as there are often 4 bays but only two chargers.
That's correct for the majority of Rapids but there are some new eVolt Rapids that allows two simultaneous user logins
http://www.aptcontrols.co.uk/apt-technologies/products/RapidCharge.asp?product_id=280
However, I would think due to the site power restrictions that the maximum power would be shared, thus taking for a longer charge?

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think they put 2 bays per charger for future upgrades or just for waiting then?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
While an i3 can charge at 7kW from the AC side, it is poor form to tie up a rapid for hours.
I had to politely educate a new BMW i3 owner who was about to use a very popular original Elektrobay Rapid with an AC Type 2 socket with their AC cable and there were also two 7kW posts adjacent. They did not have the optional CSS rapid installed and I stated that in their situation with a 7kW onboard charger that a post will give them the same range of about 25 miles an hour as the AC on the rapid. I 'think' they understood and plugged into the post. :confused:

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Do you think they put 2 bays per charger for future upgrades or just for waiting then?
Ecotricity is doubling locations now.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to politely educate a new BMW i3 owner who was about to use a very popular original Elektrobay Rapid with an AC Type 2 socket with their AC cable and there were also two 7kW posts adjacent. They did not have the optional CSS rapid installed and I stated that in their situation with a 7kW onboard charger that a post will give them the same range of about 25 miles an hour as the AC on the rapid. I 'think' they understood and plugged into the post. :confused:
Is DC an option on Leaf or standard?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Vehicles with a CHAdeMO or a CSS connector.
To my knowledge the Leaf, eNV200 and Outlander have a DC CHAdeMO
The BMW i3 has the option of having the European CSS connector and may have the future eGolf? It is not standard.

Yes, the DC Rapid socket is now standard on all Leaf models. Note: It was previously a £500 option on the Visa but now included.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vehicles with a CHAdeMO or a CSS connector.
To my knowledge the Leaf, eNV200 and Outlander have a DC CHAdeMO
The BMW i3 has the European CSS connector and may have the future eGolf?

Yes, the DC Rapid socket is now standard on all Leaf models. Note: It was previously a £500 option on the Visa but now included.
So with the current Ecotricity stations Leaf drivers will always use the one without the CCS if both free :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So with the current Ecotricity stations Leaf drivers will always use the one without the CCS if both free :)
I do not follow? Current Ecotricity Rapids that I have seen only have 1x AC 7 pin Type 2 cable and 1x DC CHAdeMO cable. As yet I have not seen a new Ecotricity Triple head unit that also has a CCS? There are many new Triple head rapids being installed to accommodate most (PH) EV cars but as stated earlier only one car can charge at a time due to the current logging on system and potential site power restrictions? (less the eVolt units)

Edit: Just seen what you mean, that you are assuming the potential new second Rapid will be a triple head. Unfortunately I would think many will not think like that

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do not follow? Current Ecotricity Rapids that I have seen only have 1x AC 7 pin Type 2 cable and 1x DC CHAdeMO cable. As yet I have not seen a new Ecotricity Triple head unit that also has a CCS? There are many new Triple head rapids being installed to accommodate most (PH) EV cars but as stated earlier only one car can charge at a time due to the current logging on system and potential site power restrictions? (less the eVolt units)

Edit: Just seen what you mean, that you are assuming the potential new second Rapid will be a triple head. Unfortunately I would think many will not think like that
Yes the new ones have one triple, I would hope CHAdeMO vehicles use the double unit 1st.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes the new ones have one triple, I would hope CHAdeMO vehicles use the double unit 1st.
Actually, most of the new ones are only double - CHAdeMO and CCS. Leaf can use both chargers, Zoe etc only the DC/AC one, BMW with rapid option one the DC/CCS one (the could use the AC one but not at rapid speed).

·
Super Moderator
7,448 Posts
I'd probably use the Chademo/CCS unit, and leave the Chademo/AC unit free. I've never seen a CCS car in the wild, never mind charging, but I have seen Teslas and Zoe's charging on AC.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, most of the new ones are only double - CHAdeMO and CCS. Leaf can use both chargers, Zoe etc only the DC/AC one, BMW with rapid option one the DC/CCS one (the could use the AC one but not at rapid speed).
I have only seen a couple of the brand new sites so interesting, I only plan to use the CCS to top up enough to get home but not planned on waiting unless wanting a full top up on my lunch break if near one.

·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd probably use the Chademo/CCS unit, and leave the Chademo/AC unit free. I've never seen a CCS car in the wild, never mind charging, but I have seen Teslas and Zoe's charging on AC.
Hope not to meet you then ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
These new triples are sprouting up like mushrooms :) very reassuring. Thanks Ecotricity ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts