Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the difference between the two variants of the M3 performance. One with Aero 18” wheels and the other with 20” wheels with red callipers. I know the 18” wheels provide better efficiency, but are there other differences?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,605 Posts
The 18" wheels are approximately 2 inches smaller than the 20" wheels.

The tyres are also different.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,882 Posts
When launched the Performance with 20" wheels came with different brakes all-round, bigger discs at the front and different calipers all round from Brembo. But if buying new I'd check with Tesla that this is still the case as often manufacturers change the specification without notice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I believe it was 10mm lower.
You may also be thinking of what's generally called the P- which is the LR with the performance boost. Although it's got a performance boost it's still slightly slower then the full performance car. The old 18" wheels did not fit over the performance calipers, but I believe they have revised them so you can now get 18" that fit the full performance model. So if it's not got red calipers and a rear carbon spoiler and it's being called a performance then it's the slightly slower LR with the performance boost.
Performance= sports pedals (silver vs black), rear spoiler, 10mm lower suspension, track mode, brembo calipers, 0-60 in about 3s
LR with performance upgrade = track mode, 0-60 in about 3.5s (if you use the same rollout)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,882 Posts
All rather unnecessary on the UK roads, but rather nice. :devilish:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The p- was the performance model before the performance upgrade was available. p- has the 18 inch wheels but standard suspension/brakes, no spoiler, no fancy pedals & 145mph top speed. On p- If you have the spoiler fitted you can have the 162mph unlocked I think. both p- and p+ get track mode.

All this is from memory.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
I believe it was 10mm lower.
You may also be thinking of what's generally called the P- which is the LR with the performance boost. Although it's got a performance boost it's still slightly slower then the full performance car. The old 18" wheels did not fit over the performance calipers, but I believe they have revised them so you can now get 18" that fit the full performance model. So if it's not got red calipers and a rear carbon spoiler and it's being called a performance then it's the slightly slower LR with the performance boost.
Performance= sports pedals (silver vs black), rear spoiler, 10mm lower suspension, track mode, brembo calipers, 0-60 in about 3s
LR with performance upgrade = track mode, 0-60 in about 3.5s (if you use the same rollout)
Please don't forget about the ever-important underline under the rear badge, though thinking about it the P might be slightly faster without it and the weight saving.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
88 Posts
P- is not LR with performance boost , it has the same performance as the P but with 18" alloys. Rated 0-60 3.2sec with 1'rollout.
LR+ is an LR with performance boost. Rated 0-60 3.9sec standing start (3.5sec with 1' rollout).

*Now Tesla rate the P at 3.1sec (Rollout) & LR+ at 3.7sec (Standing start).

·
Registered
196 Posts
P- is not LR with performance boost , it has the same performance as the P but with 18" alloys. Rated 0-60 3.2sec with 1'rollout.
That basically summarizes the P-. I have one and absolutely love it. Here is why I went for it.

1. Standard brakes are sufficient for non-track and cheaper to replace
2. 18' wheels are less prone to pothole damage and cheaper to replace
3. 18' wheels are better for range, quieter ( reduced road noise ) and offer a less harsher ride
4. Replacing 20' with a 3rd party 18' wheels is usually considered a modification by some insurers but in P- it is standard spec
5. Put your foot down, it obliterates (in style) cars screaming multiple exhausts, bright calipers and spoilers the size of aircraft wings - being understated is priceless

On the minus side, it does not have track mode enabled but then I'm not interested in taking it to a track so the configuration suits me well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That basically summarizes the P-. I have one and absolutely love it. Here is why I went for it.

1. Standard brakes are sufficient for non-track and cheaper to replace
2. 18' wheels are less prone to pothole damage and cheaper to replace
3. 18' wheels are better for range, quieter ( reduced road noise ) and offer a less harsher ride
4. Replacing 20' with a 3rd party 18' wheels is usually considered a modification by some insurers but in P- it is standard spec
5. Put your foot down, it obliterates (in style) cars screaming multiple exhausts, bright calipers and spoilers the size of aircraft wings - being understated is priceless

On the minus side, it does not have track mode enabled but then I'm not interested in taking it to a track so the configuration suits me well.
p- gets track mode. So I guess you either haven't noticed you have it or don't have a p-. or ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please don't forget about the ever-important underline under the rear badge, though thinking about it the P might be slightly faster without it and the weight saving.
If driver weight was not taken into consideration. Like if it could drive itself for example. no wait ....

·
Registered
196 Posts
p- gets track mode. So I guess you either haven't noticed you have it or don't have a p-. or ...
Mine is indeed P- with the red underline as well but the track mode button is greyed out.
Quite certain P- does not have track mode because it does not have the "Performance pack" as it was known then. It needs the endurance of larger brakes to implement traction management under track conditions.
See below @proddick and I discussing it 18 months ago :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
My P- collected September 2019 definitely has track mode,just been and switched it on and fans or something started running.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your answers to my question. It cleared up my confusion. Just now put deposit down on a 1 year old Performance. I can't wait until I get hold of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is indeed P- with the red underline as well but the track mode button is greyed out.
Quite certain P- does not have track mode because it does not have the "Performance pack" as it was known then. It needs the endurance of larger brakes to implement traction management under track conditions.
See below @proddick and I discussing it 18 months ago :)
As far as I know it was added for p-. If its greyed you probably have it. I don't think it shows at all on the LR AWD. For me its greyed 1st time i get in the car until I put foot on brake. Give that a try.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
88 Posts
I can conform that Track mode cannot be enabled & does not appear at all on an LR AWD, including my LR+ version with acceleration boost. The only visible change for that is the driving profile changing from Chill-Standard to Chill-Sport.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts