Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of any unadvertised differences between the two motors or is the difference just horsepower? I'm thinking range, charging speed, motor noise, the whine noise made when charging on AC (could this vary between models in light of the fact that charging uses the motor windings), suspension.

R110 iconic much cheaper than R135. Not convinced that extra power alone justifies the difference so currently minded to go for R110. All reviews seem to be of the R135 though.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
I went from the R90 to the R135 and the extra power makes a huge difference on motorways, getting up to 70 and overtaking.

In terms of power the R110 will be fine I’m sure.

I don’t think there’s any significant difference in motor noise. It’s barely audible in my car but I think that’s down to better noise insulation.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,150 Posts
IIRC, the only difference in WLTP range is about 4-5 miles in favour of the R110, but that may be down to tyre size.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's now a toss up between the Zoe and the base level corsa e.
I had a good look at the Corsa but it was the shorter range compared to the Zoe that made me swing to the Renault. Certain aspects of the cabin in my opinion aren’t quite as refined as well. All comes to personal taste I suppose. 100kW charging on the Corsa is super though, shame Renault didn’t do this in the Zoe.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,182 Posts
F79279EB-7B9E-400E-A830-18C24C0F1298.png

R135 GT Line less than £5 a month extra (amortised) than a R110 Iconic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm buying, not renting, so R135 not an option. Corsa e looks a slightly bigger car than 208. Suspect I'll plump for Zoe but keeping open mind until after the test drives. Bonus of the e corsa is a lot more power and charging speed.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,182 Posts
I'm buying, not renting, so R135 not an option. Corsa e looks a slightly bigger car than 208. Suspect I'll plump for Zoe but keeping open mind until after the test drives. Bonus of the e corsa is a lot more power and charging speed.
Use this video to compare charging speeds and see if in real life the quicker charging Corsa-e (should be same as e-208 in the video) compensates for the lower range when compared to a Zoe. Remember also that to exploit that faster charging speed capability, you’ll need a 150+ kW charger, which are not as common as 50kW ones, and often more expensive to use.

Reactions: dparr59

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
It isn't bigger as same body shell, maybe a quirk of the styling changes? The PSA cars don't have more power than Zoe R135 - but you seem to be comparing with R110.

How long are you looking to keep the car? Future values are very difficult to predict as we may find cheaper EVs in a couple of years. Personally I would only buy a £25K small EV on PCP or PCH and let someone else underwrite that risk. The PCH deals on Zoe seem good at present, particularly on lower mileage but most lack flexibility if your circumstances change.

Incidentally the 22kW AC charging in Zoe is handy as there are an increasing number of 22kW posts appearing. Great way to add decent range when shopping, etc.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cash buying an EV now is madness...
The tech is changing each year and future values are unpredictable, I’d just PCH one and then get a Tesla in a couple of years when they crack the £30k mark for the model 3

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Cash buying an EV now is madness...
The tech is changing each year and future values are unpredictable, I’d just PCH one and then get a Tesla in a couple of years when they crack the £30k mark for the model 3
Unless of course the EV works fine for the foreseeable future.

Future values are irrelevant if you are keeping the car.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
who wants to keep a car more than 2-3years don’t people get bored? Personally 2yrs is my maximum
When buying outright new, I try and keep for at least 4 years as depreciation is usually worst in first 2 years. With Ampera, late 2014 I got an amazing deal to trade from my MY12 to one of last MY13 and then sold that late 2018 — over 6 years of driving Ampera. I wasn't bored of it, but recognised it was time to sell.

I asked OP the question how long they were going to keep, but annual mileage is also relevant. I have friends who buy new and keep 8 years - they aren't bothered about trading up regularly.

Reactions: dparr59 and BrianW

·
Registered
137 Posts
Erm. We've had a Zoe since 2014. I can't see a reason why we wouldn't keep this one for more than 2 years.
I've bought mine outright too, i have no plans of selling it anytime soon. It was bought as part of the household pool of cars for going into the city centre and pottering about in. Its perfect for carparks and the city centre. Oh those were the days when we actually went into city centres and hunted a for a tiny space.

True my ZE40 doesn't have CCS, but it never goes further than the range my my home charger these days. I've had a few experiments further afield. Some good, some bad. Ill just use my other cars for those Journeys from now on unless im on my own and want some excitement in my life if the charger is going to be functional :p With the cost of electricity on the motorways and the public chargers, im virtually just as cheap taking one of the other cars on a long journey.

As for depreciation, the zoe has lost the least out of any of the cars i can ever remembering owning. Its looking like a good buy so far.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
534 Posts
who wants to keep a car more than 2-3years don’t people get bored? Personally 2yrs is my maximum
I've kept two previous cars for over 10 years :) they were both Fords,one a diesel. I looked after them and serviced them myself, one I eventually sold, one I passed on to my son. Good reliable transport, owed me nothing in the end.

My current car, a 2018 Zoe R40, I bought, but leased the battery, as I was a bit unsure of the technology at the time.

I struggle a bit with the concept of PCH and PCP, it's maybe a generational thing, I don't like debt.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
As for depreciation, the zoe has lost the least out of any of the cars i can ever remembering owning. Its looking like a good buy so far.
Yes us Zoe owners have done well, but the caveat "past performance is no indication" comes to mind. Used values are distorted due to significant drop in PICG - I got £4500 on my Zoe and today it is £3000. Also the lack of battery rental now helps make a 18 plate Zoe at £15K look "cheap" vs £25K for a new one, especially for someone who only needs the £59 month rental.

The demand for used Zoes has been strong, but as more people trade up to the ZE50 I can see supply of used increasing and prices could drop.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
I struggle a bit with the concept of PCH and PCP, it's maybe a generational thing, I don't like debt.
It made more sense when there were very good deals historically. Now, probably less so.

We are also more familiar with the car and how long it's likely to last, so I have no qualms keeping this Zoe for a while.

(At least until Renault bring out the next new-improved Zoe) ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Erm. We've had a Zoe since 2014. I can't see a reason why we wouldn't keep this one for more than 2 years.
A new car every 2 years? That is a level of consumerism that I would struggle to live with. I would think that most people who buy an electric car are at least partly motivated by environmental concern. I feel a bit queezy about buying a car in the first place, having used a city car club for several years.

Don't fancy paying multiple thousands of pounds but not actually having anything to show for it at the end of the day. Plan to pay part cash and part using the Scottish Government 0% loan. I really don't like debt of any description but could live with this given that it is government backed and is for low carbon reasons. Would be fully paid off in 5 years and would try to keep it for another 5 or so. Wouldn't be racking up a big mileage.

In those circumstances, I don't see the appeal of 4.5% deals where you get hit with a massive balloon payment at the end. Am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts