Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dim question but as I'm only in the process of acquiring a Leaf I thought it best to get answers to these things first!

If you have a car which can accept 32A charging, can it also accept 16A charging leads, or is it one or the other? I'm presuming ti would be flexible but it doesn't hurt to be sure. (I presume that all can use ordinary 13A sockets if they have to).

·
Registered
52 Posts
The longer answer:

The Leaf has two ports - a chademo (400v 100A) great big thing that you use on the Rapid chargers at the motorway or Ikea, and a smaller, J1772 port that seems to accept anything with the right plug on it. The 6kW Leaf will suck more through this port than the 3kW one is able to.

With the upgraded charger, Nissan won't supply you with an EVSE (instead they give you a cable that means you can use the J1772 port at its fastest rate whilst out and about). You will want/need to buy an EVSE.

·
Registered
528 Posts
An EVSE being Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. A plastic brick with two leads coming out of it, one with a 13 amp 3 pin plug on the end, the other with a J1772 plug (gun) that plugs into your Leaf. Works at 10 amps, around 7 hours to fully charge from flat.
Adapter Electronic device Electronics Technology Adapter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe worth a sticky on this forum like this excellent post on LT.

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/14363-Charging-the-Leaf
Dean, whilst that Leaftalk post makes total sense to me now, a few months ago when I was in the same position as the original poster I have to admit I found it very confusing. This talk of Type 1 and Type 2 didn't seem to make sense to me, and then it threw the word Mennekes into the mix. And when I looked it up on wikipedia and it started to go on about type 1, type 2, mode 1, mode 2 etc, I can't say I felt any clearer about it.

It's not obvious, when you first start looking at this stuff, that the words 'fast', 'and 'rapid' do not mean the same thing in this context.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Dean, whilst that Leaftalk post makes total sense to me now, a few months ago when I was in the same position as the original poster I have to admit I found it very confusing. This talk of Type 1 and Type 2 didn't seem to make sense to me, and then it threw the word Mennekes into the mix. And when I looked it up on wikipedia and it started to go on about type 1, type 2, mode 1, mode 2 etc, I can't say I felt any clearer about it.

It's not obvious, when you first start looking at this stuff, that the words 'fast', 'and 'rapid' do not mean the same thing in this context.
I understand where your coming from. When I get time I might write up a simplified version then for newbies. It does get confusing when you first start looking at it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allow me to echo the confusion! However, your replies have cleared things up considerably.
We're looking at getting a 2nd hand car, so whether or not it will have the 6.6kW OBC (on board charger? I presume!) is presently unknown.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
That confuses me a bit and I've had my LEAF for more than a year. One of the things I want to do here is try to help simplify and "humanise" EV ownership. I think people have lives to lead and too much to be getting on with to be bogged down too much (although you do have to learn a few things to get by).

Hopefully we're making a start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.