Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd pick some brains here! I have difficulty every time I use a public charger. Here in Northumberland it is the 'Charge Your Car' network and they are all free to connect and use. Here's the sequence every time:

1. I take the AC charger and plug it in my car. It locks in place, I have an orange light ready for action
2. I click start on the charging machine
3. It asks me to verify my account (Card or App)
4. I go to the app, choose the charger and click start, the machine says starting charge
5. I instantly get a notification from Car Net on my phone 'charging has stopped' and red light on the VW plug
6. I have to unlock the car, remove the plug and start again
7. Usually 2nd or 3rd attempt is successful.

Sorry if long-winded and thanks for sticking with me. Any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
512 Posts
How long between 1 and 5?

If the gap is too long between plugging in and charge starting my e-Up! seems to give up and go to sleep, maybe GTE is the same.

Try plugging in the cable to car just before clicking start in step 4?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think I should make pushing the plug in the last step, after I have pressed start and authorised the charge from the app? I'll try next time!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Do you think I should make pushing the plug in the last step, after I have pressed start and authorised the charge from the app? I'll try next time!
That’s my suspicion. When using Polar / Chargemaster points I always have to plug the car in last. Think it really varries by vendor though. We have free Genie charge points in the new Westagate shopping centre in Oxford and the order makes no difference here...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would also 2nd different route; authorise charge using RFID card or phone app 1st, after showing ready to start, then connect charge lead to car.
I have had similar issues in the past depending on type of charger used; anytime the car has been plugged in 1st, I have had to unauthorise, unplug, reauthorise, reconnect car; pain in the backside as it’s usually raining when all doesn’t go right 1st time.
If you are occasionally getting the red LED show on the car charge socket; try cleaning the PP/pilot pin using a dry cotton bud; if the pilot line doesn’t see the connection, no go. I have had this a number of times, mostly at home; pain having to hold the unlock on remote and instantaneous charge button to enable unlocking of the cable. Always works straight after cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts