Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Digital Driver display

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  SoFar 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am considering a 2nd hand e-Golf. 2019-2018 if possible.

Now.... Looking on CARWOW and Autotrader I cant find a single car with the digital Clocks, IS this not a worthwhile extra for people. ???
So this got me thinking what is the options that most people stumped up the cash for when ordering their Golf.

Me personally, I'd like
  • Digital dash
  • heated seats
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Adaptive LED lights
  • Keyless entry with button start
These are the things i'd like to find in a golf when looking for one

Also, only because my Soul EV had it, I'd like the heat pump. But only because I know it made the car so efficient, Only loosing 3-4 miles when turned on @22deg

See less See more
#2 ·
Adaptive cruise and LED lights are standard. Everything else on your list is extra. There are several discussions about the heat pump and unless you need the range it probably isn't worth spending £830 on, but second hand it may not be much of an extra.
We don't have the DIgital Dash, mostly my wife's car and she doesn't care for tech so didn't want to pay £500 for it. Hated seats she likes so paid the £440 for them.
Keyless entry was also around £500 and she didn't want that either, although now she is driving the Niro most of the time she misses it.

Do you have the 30kWh Soul? If so I assume you know the Golf battery is only slighly larger? How many miles are you getting from the Soul?

#3 ·
EPA is about 10 miles more for the E Golf.

You need a bonnet picture to tell whether it has the heat pump or not. There's an extra box front left. Helpfully there was a video on the very subject and most e Golf purchasers just want to know whether it has the heat pump or not....

E golf was probably my preferred choice after the Soul but they were double the cost of the Zoe to buy so I went for cheap and squeaky.

#4 ·
To be accurate, LED headlights are standard, but the adaptive LEDs are an option.

For me personally, my priority order of options at the time I purchased my car were;

Winter Pack
Paint Colour
Keyless Entry

If I was buying again, it would be;

Winter Pack
Keyless Entry
17” Wheels
Larger sat nav display/digital dash
Heat Pump

It’s such a personal thing though, but the e-Golf has most things you need in a car as standard.

#6 ·
To be accurate, LED headlights are standard, but the adaptive LEDs are an option.
Ahh, I missed the word adaptive in the OP. I would have liked those, and still would. This time of year I do I wish I had added them but they were rather expensive with all the options that were needed to get them.

#5 ·
I absolutely love the digital dash on mine. But it is a relatively expensive option that plenty of people can't justify, so cars bought as generic, "let's try to appeal to the most people possible to sell this on" might not have it.

My extras were paint, winter pack, digital dash and heat pump. Glad I got all of them, but I do long drives in the cold. Don't know how much extra range heat pump gives, but since I prefer comfort and plan to keep the car a while I went for it. Wish I'd got reversing camera, to the point I've had one retrofitted, but it doesn't work quite as seamlessly as an OEM one would.

#8 ·
Here is my two pennies worth !.
I think a lot of people would agree with me here, but the spec of the e.Golf comes up a little short given the price.
Start adding on the factory options and the price climbs REALLY fast !.
Unless you have unlimited funds, you have to be a bit selective with your options.
This would be MY choice of options, with out going crazy !.
1) Metallic paint.
2) Winter pack ( Heated Seats )
3) Active info dash panel.
Quickly, we are at almost £1,500 on top of the price.
Why these items ?.
Metallic Paint - The car has very little external styling details that sets it apart from the basic model.
It needs all the help it can get !.
The metallic paint just helps to lift it a little.
Winter Pack - I had this option on my previous GTE and seen the benefits of instant heat and the advantages of saving power from a small HV battery.
Active Info Dash - For the same reason as the exterior problem, very basic inside.
The A.I.D. Just gives the car a much needed lift to a basic car.
Heat pump, keyless entry, reversing camera etc are ALL brilliant options that I would NOT disagree with at all !.
But we are close to raising the price by another £1,500 on the price !.
It is EXTREMELY easy to add £3,000 to the base price of the this car.
If you intend to keep the car for a number of years and REALLY require ALL of these options, then go for it !.
My guess is, it will make the car more sellable in a couple of years, but will it return your original out lay of almost £3,000 ? - Erh - NO !.
Buy what you need - not what you want ?.

#9 ·
For what its worth, I ordered:-

Metallic paint
Heat pump
Winter pack (heated seats)
Reversing camera
Rear tinted glass
Digital dash
Auto dip headlights
Without any doubt, I would order all but auto headlight dip again if I had to buy another e-golf right now.
Top 3 of that list would be heated seats reversing camera and digital dash.
Cant "prove" the benefit (versus cost of) the heat pump but have to say, I'm very happy with my miles per charge.
My car included 9" Nav Pro as standard at the time of order. Something else to consider as an option now.
Personal opinion, would not entertain keyless entry at all, indeed, I would consider it as a very negative point if it were standard spec!.
Having had cars with it, I think the convenience is superb, but the security issues make it a no go for me!

#10 ·
That’s one heck of a specification.

I didn’t think I woyld be that bothered about keyless entry, but the test drive e-Golf I had didn’t have it, and it felt somehow wrong having to put a key in and turn it!

So I chose that, along with the few other options.

I think the keyless security exploits don’t work on the Golf 7, but accept that might not always be the case.

#12 ·
It is interesting a lot of you have chosen the digital dash when I am finding none of the 2nd hand cars I am looking at has had it fitted as an option. I would agree with the person on Keyless entry. I thought I could do without it, but after having it on my Kia for 3 yrs and then test driving a car without it... Nah, It is an option I want for sure!!
The adaptive lights I could do without I guess, as I believe the standard LED lights are excellent in their own right,

So my choices are now
  • Metallic. paint or White. <<< rediculous that plain white costs extra. I don't like the free dark grey option
  • Winter pack
  • Digital dash
  • Adaptive Cruise

#15 ·
I looked use

I looked used as well.. not one had the digital dash. I didn’t spec the full curve lights because that works out expensive as well and the normal led with cornering lights work great. Have them on my current fabia.. I guess if I drove country lanes I might have gone for it.

#13 ·
I went for metallic paint, keyless, winter pack, ambient lighting and Dynaudio. Thought the active info display was overpriced especially as I'll be using Android Auto for nav. Quite like the look of the regular dash anyway, and the screen between the dials does plenty.

#21 ·
I ordered with a reversing camera, keyless entry (the wife would kill me if I didn’t) and solid paint (white) I was really really tempted to add aid and winter pack, but given it was a 2 year lease it really doesn’t justify the extra 1k expense. Aid is great but it’s just really for show, and like has been said if it allowed waze or google maps to display on it I may have been persuaded but unforutnately it’s only the native maps. If I was buying the car or a long term lease I probably would have gone for the winter pack. I’m currently planning on changing to a id3 or Honda e after my lease (depending on what new cars spring upon next two years)

#22 ·
This is why it's hard to beat RW reviews from people who own cars.

based on what I have read and watched on Youtube, I think for me personally I drive 70 miles every day on a fairly hilly route for my commute. We have no workplace charging available. To compound this a little more, my closest CCS rapid charger is 47 miles from my home and 26 miles from my work. So, that's just not something I can ever consider using on a regular basis if I needed the extra range. Based on my thoughts above I think I will be looking for

• No1- Blue & No2 White as colour choice
  • Heat pump - I want the extra range as I just don't know what errands I might need to run when I've got home from work (Tue & Thur I run my wee lad into football training 30 miles round trip on top of the 70-mile commute)
  • Winter pack - In the Soul, it had Heat pump & heated seats and wheel. I found on occasions when the temps were just ok, I could get away with just using the heated seats and wheel, saving even more range.
The more I think about it, the fancy adaptive lights might be nice, but as the lights are standard LED. They should be a lot better than the Soul's Projector beams with halogen bulbs. Adaptive cruise, again a nice feature, but again on the Soul standard cruise worked fine for me. One thing I will like about the Golf is the coasting and regen levels. The Ioniq I test drove had them and I loved it.

#25 ·
Adaptive cruise is standard. Or at least it was. I would struggle to go back to a car without it now.

The cornering light with the standard LED headlights is pretty decent. Not as good as the adaptive lights I had on my old Focus, but far better than my parents car with no cornering lights.

#26 ·
I didn’t want to do a factory order so chose from what was available. I went for white paint (from a choice of white, silver or metallic blue); I’d have opted for the standard grey or the metallic dark grey if either had been readily available. My only extra over the basic spec was the reversing camera (retrofitted by the dealer). There was also a white car with the AID and keyless entry available but I preferred the analogue dials and actively didn’t want keyless entry.

If I had the choice now I might go for heated seats but when I got the car I don’t think I’d have actively chosen them as I really haven’t liked them in other cars I’ve been in.

I’m not keen on the aesthetics of the wheels but wouldn’t go do far as to change them.

#27 ·
I travelled a fair way to get an ex-demo with pretty much my dream spec. It has AID but I probably would be less bothered about getting that now. As I hadn't realised that Carplay wouldn't utilise it at all. It is still pretty to look at though and may help residuals a little.

Dynaudio seems worth it to me, although I can't really compare as I never heard the standard audio! I do sometimes wonder how much more power it is using though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.