Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked hard to see if this had been posted before, but couldn't find anything specific, so apologies if this has been posted before.

After reading a few posts on here claiming some trims don't have auto dipping mirror in reverse, I was pleased to confirm we had it after setting it up and confirming it works.

Today the missus drove the car to work for the first time and was moaning that the wing mirror wouldn't autodip in reverse. Thinking that she'd knocked the mirror controls out of L, I did a bit of tinkering and discovered I could still get the mirrors to dip with the mirror settings in L, but on every ignition cycle you lose the "L" position (and no lights lit up on the mirror settings). and have to move the switch over to "L" before the car will dip on reverse.

Is this:

1. Moronic design by VW to save 0.0001W in not lighting up L (or any other mirror setting) and resetting every time to a non-setting.

2. I have a glitch, it should remember the mirror switch position between ignition cycles but doesn't.

3. There's some obscure sub setting in the menus that tells the car to remember mirror switch position between ignition cycles (a RTFM moment).

·
Registered
355 Posts
I looked hard to see if this had been posted before, but couldn't find anything specific, so apologies if this has been posted before.

After reading a few posts on here claiming some trims don't have auto dipping mirror in reverse, I was pleased to confirm we had it after setting it up and confirming it works.

Today the missus drove the car to work for the first time and was moaning that the wing mirror wouldn't autodip in reverse. Thinking that she'd knocked the mirror controls out of L, I did a bit of tinkering and discovered I could still get the mirrors to dip with the mirror settings in L, but on every ignition cycle you lose the "L" position (and no lights lit up on the mirror settings). and have to move the switch over to "L" before the car will dip on reverse.

Is this:

1. Moronic design by VW to save 0.0001W in not lighting up L (or any other mirror setting) and resetting every time to a non-setting.

2. I have a glitch, it should remember the mirror switch position between ignition cycles but doesn't.

3. There's some obscure sub setting in the menus that tells the car to remember mirror switch position between ignition cycles (a RTFM moment).
I think it’s like that by design, so sadly 1’s probably the nearest. I don’t understand why either

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s
4. It’s no longer a physical switch, more of an electrical switch.
It wouldn’t take much coding for them to add “remember last setting”
I'm sure it wouldn't take much coding either. Surprised no-one has mentioned it here before, it's a tiny but completely avoidable inconvenience I've never had with any other car with dipping mirror.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
302 Posts
It’s an RTFM situation...

The reversing camera makes it redundant as a feature (if your spec has one)

·
Registered
440 Posts
It doesn't work unless you have the mirror switch in the left position which resets every ignition cycle.

Where is the setting we're all missing?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please disclose the solution - there's 3 of us here that don't know how to get the mirror position switch to remember it was in L. That's seemingly the only thing stopping mirror dip being available without intervention every time you go through an ignition cycle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The reversing camera makes it redundant as a feature (if your spec has one)
I haven't got a rear camera, the wife's not confident about parking very close to the kerb without the mirror dip and I'd like it if she didn't griind the wheels too.

How does the rear view camera show you how close your back passenger side wheel is to the kerb?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Was just about to say that. I’ve got a reversing camera and often make use of the dipping left hand mirror to show how close to a kerb or edge of a bay I am on that side. Very handy, would be nice if it always did that, but easy enough to activate if / when I need it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It doesn't work unless you have the mirror switch in the left position which resets every ignition cycle.

Where is the setting we're all missing?
As far as I’m aware, there isn’t a setting. I know you’d assume that by having it set to dip on reverse, it would do just that - like every other car I’ve owned. Unfortunately and for no good reason that I can see, it requires manual intervention every time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was just about to say that. I’ve got a reversing camera and often make use of the dipping left hand mirror to show how close to a kerb or edge of a bay I am on that side. Very handy, would be nice if it always did that, but easy enough to activate if / when I need it.
Easy enough to activate but a minor inconvenience for no practical reason. Puzzled why VW would design it so you need to twiddle the mirror switch to L everything you want to use it. It makes as much sense as having to use your wipers twice before you can select your favourite radio station.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Exactly, it used to be an easy case of leaving the switch in L. I personally think it's just an oversight in the rush to get the car out to market.

The rear view camera does nothing for knowing how close you are to a kerb when you parallel park and I quite like my wheels to be rash free.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
302 Posts
Please disclose the solution - there's 3 of us here that don't know how to get the mirror position switch to remember it was in L. That's seemingly the only thing stopping mirror dip being available without intervention every time you go through an ignition cycle.
I meant RTFM as in it is working like it‘s supposed to, although the UK manual has something lost in translation as it should say the L position not the R position...

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
302 Posts
I haven't got a rear camera, the wife's not confident about parking very close to the kerb without the mirror dip and I'd like it if she didn't griind the wheels too.

How does the rear view camera show you how close your back passenger side wheel is to the kerb?
The markings on the camera display make it very hard to kerb a wheel, and straightforward to park nice and snug to the kerb.

I set the mirror position when I first got the car, but never bother using it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I disagree. The camera is an aide sure, but no replacement for a mirror pointing at the ground next to you. A camera just can't show you what is forward of it.

But anyway, this is a thread about the mirror and not how good you are at using a camera.

The final sentence in that manual screenshot provided above says when the "rotary knob is moved out of position R/L to another position".

That is the complaint with the system, the knob isn't moved, it resets with the ignition cycle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The markings on the camera display make it very hard to kerb a wheel, and straightforward to park nice and snug to the kerb.
But the dipped mirror provides significant help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven’t felt the need for that help in 7 months of ownership.
That doesn't negate the fact that I find it helpful.

Presumably, I'm not alone. If I was it wouldn't be offered on multiple models with reversing cameras from multiple manufacturers.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That doesn't negate the fact that I find it helpful.

Presumably, I'm not alone. If I was it wouldn't be offered on multiple models with reversing cameras from multiple manufacturers.
It's very helpful in avoiding scraping alloys, especially diamond cut alloys, the position of the alloys in relation to the kerb are beyond any rear view camera's viewing angle.

With rear parking sensors, I find a rear camera far less useful than a dipping wing mirror. Had one on a previous Polo and found it to bea bit of a novelty as the sensors picked up everything I was looking to avoid backing into.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts