Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kona EV 2020/08
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a solution for EV monitoring (general data logging) and real-time integration to my home automation (EV SoC) and I am down to two options (both direct linked, rather than cloud reliant). Have worked through many posts on a number of forums and found some very useful posts regarding the various monitoring options for the Kona / Niro, but nothing that really fits my specific requirements other than these:

1. OVMS v3 + MQTT (seems reasonably solid)
2. CanEdge2 + S3 push (more a commercial solution and more expensive but maybe better supported, however need to setup the specific DBC file for Kona)

In either case I am proposing to implement some customisation to disable OBDII polling when car is off and not charging (with a periodic re-enable to check aux battery volts on say an 2 hourly basis). This seems like it is necessary as the polling on the OBDII seems to be keeping devices active on the car and contributing to excessive battery drain. This hinges on finding the right triggers from the OBDII - so there is a risk with this. May need a fallback plan otherwise (maybe 12V from something that follows the On/Chg instead of OBDII port).
Also would not use a 3G/4G solution (WiFi only - use my phone as hotspot when travelling, home WiFi when garaged).

Would prefer a generic OBDII bluetooth dongle (OBDLink LX) and a separate WiFi/Processing unit as the smarts, but all of the options I have seen for this are a smartphone-app/cloud-server to allow data access (and I want to host my own data store and have the link for SoC as direct as possible).

OVMS has been mentioned a number of times. Does anyone have good/bad/otherwise experience of the unit with the Kona? If so, any useful feedback wrt the above?
Any other options that anyone has seen that may match my specific implementation requirements? Not actually too concerned about cost - after all I just paid the $A for a Kona EV :eek:

If you are interested, the concepts for the polling disable were based on these:
OVMS 12V Power Drain 5 (last post of the thread by jheredianet)
CanEdge OBDII Power Management

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Do you want stats that aren't available through the bluelink app? If not then you could try using the bluelink api that has been reverse engineered (though that might be an overstatement as the Android app dumps all the api activity to its debug log).

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
* duplicate post. Not sure how that happened. *

·
Registered
Kona EV 2020/08
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Duncan - I have read about BlueLink but it was not an option in Oz currently. Hyundai just dropped the AutoLink Premium product for post Jun(?) 2020 manufactured cars in Oz (but this was just a crappy effort at OBDII anyway). If I DID have BlueLink, my understanding is that I am still dependent on internet/cloud connectivity which is not an option I am interested in.
Basically I am shooting for:
Car(OBDII)->[unspecified device or devices with WiFi connectivity and data exchange capability]->MyHomeController
While travelling it would just be WiFi to the mobile phone hotspot and via the firewall with DynDNS (just for data collection).
In the garage I would have relatively direct linking to the home controller so it can manage charging vs EV SoC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts