Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
As in it’s black all time? My white one is, picks up loads of rubbish on the sides and rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forever cleaning the reversing camera - haven’t got around to the rest of the car yet as only 10 days (800 miles) in. Yup, it’s filthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,099 Posts
Leaf is a dirty beggar as well. Picks up more muck on the back than the Zoe. Now I realise why folk like the powered gesture tailgates.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Took me a while to find the little handle inside the tailgate so that you can pull it closed without touching the filthy outside bit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Took me a while to find the little handle inside the tailgate so that you can pull it closed without touching the filthy outside bit.
That's a feature of cars that are aerodynamically designed. The shape is made so that it holds on to air as long as possible. Hence the flat bits on the side of the rear bumper, more obvious on Leaf and Ioniq The back is then as flat as practicable, with spoilers added to the top of sloping rear glass to mimic a flat back. This pulls air onto the back of the car and brings dirt along with it.

Also... it's a dirty time of year.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Demon shine helps a lot i find so i can just soak the car then 10mins later use the hose to rinse the worst off :)
Still gets extra dirty, rear wheels worse than anything else :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realised the reason was the aerodynamics, but other 'slippery' cars e.g. Prius don't have the same degree of dirt pickup.

On my first car, Wolsey 1500, I had a gadget on the bonnet like a large Spirit Of Extasy with large celluloid wings similar to an upside down snow plough, which kept insects from hitting the windscreen, a big problem in those days. Where are all the insects now?

Bit like this:- Deflecter

Perhaps someone has a fix, like the wings fitted to large coaches either side of the windscreen, to duct the air differently so we are not being followed by a large rolling wave of mud?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
You either have a less aerodynamic car and less dirt or more aero car and more dirt dumped on the body.

Cermaic coats and good wax help a lot to be honest. Ultra Everdry is something worth thinking about as well but it does wear off eventually.

Or go cheap and WD40 the whole thing :D

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Ahhh, so it’s not a thread about Mechanophilia then.
my van seems to pick up a band of dirt around the bottom but the top stays nice and clean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts