Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got an e-Niro on the way through a leasing company who say that they have telematics in the car disabled for GDPR reasons. Anyone here in a similar situation and know what actually gets disabled? I'd like to be able to use the Uvo app to control heating/charging, but is this part of "telematics"?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
They aren't trying to pass off an old model on to you are they? Those didn't have telematics at all.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi, I've got an e-Niro on the way through a leasing company who say that they have telematics in the car disabled for GDPR reasons. Anyone here in a similar situation and know what actually gets disabled? I'd like to be able to use the Uvo app to control heating/charging, but is this part of "telematics"?
Had that with Nationwide Auto Lease with a Mercedes C350e a few years ago. They were adamant for the same gdpr reasons that I couldn't use Mercedes Me which was their version of UVO. I went to a random dealer asking them to enable it and they said they needed confirmation from Nationwide. I contacted Nationwide via email and they said No.
I took their reply which had their logos etc, forwarded their email to myself with wording in the body of their No response changed so that it effectively said Yes that's fine, printed it off and went back to the dealer who enabled it for me.

Simples. A little dishonest but not illegal. Or perhaps not VERY illegal.
Impersonating a lease company with a data protection stick up their arse perhaps.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
311 Posts
I'll bet this is something to do with what happens when you no longer have the car. Some twit will have asked "so what if it doesn't get reset" or something and they've created a stupid policy as a result.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Possibly though with my mercedes I put an end date on it consistent with my end of lease date to make it sound plausible :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zenith have the same policy however they clarified the only things they would block would be the ability to book dealer services from the car/app.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
277 Posts
How is this any different to the need to clear your data off the head unit before you flog the car if you own it privately? If you hand the car back without clearing your data, on your own head be it. Can't see what responsibility they think they have under GDPR to protect your data?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts