Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Kia Soul EV, and I'd like to be able to switch off both the VESS (Virtual Engine Sound) and the back-up chime. As I often come home late at night, I know that the back-up chime can be heard by my neighbours.

There are instructions online to interrupt these sounds on the Kia Niro EV. Specific wires in the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel can be grounded. A push button switch can be installed so that VESS and the back up chime can be turned on and off. Unfortunately, the wires in the Niro EV fuse panel do not match up to the wires in the Soul EV fuse panel.

Dose anyone know how to interrupt the VESS or the back up chime in a Kia Soul EV?

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
258 Posts
Hope you get a response on this - I've only got the 2018 30kwh version but would looooove to kill the chime so watching closely..... Never actually noticed the VESS to be honest

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
But in car parks etc, the reversing chime is vital - so many people not paying attention just walk out behind you - I have nearly run over 2 or 3.... without the chime it would be 10 times worse....

The problem is the car is silent at low speeds otherwise.....

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
258 Posts
A-ha - I've got a lot done today and am a bit knack"d as a result - I thought back-uo chime referred to the noise made by the radio everytime you power the vehicle up - no idea why.
I don't think mine has that either but probably not a bad idea.
Would love to stop the welcome to your vehicle chime and good morning, don't forget to drive safely message.... ( There's an assumption )

·
Registered
27 Posts
UK versions have a VESS button to the lower right of the steering column, in the same place as the hud and cockpit lighting dimmer, hit that and it switches it off, I do that and the lane assist button each startup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I understand that the UK version of the Soul has the option to turn VESS off. In North America, we do not have that option. So I am looking for a solution to add that option. Given that it can be done on the NIRO EV, I'm hoping someone has figured out how to disable VESS and the back-up chime on the SOUL EV. I understand that VESS and the back-up chime are safety features, but there are times when I'd like to disable them, such as backing up my driveway late at night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The latest MY22 e-Niro no longer allows you to switch off the VESS. The button has been removed. Apparently something to do with NCAP ratings and associated EU legislation (that the UK voluntarily adopted) which prohibits measures that allow VESS on EVs to be defeated. So, I assume it will extend to all new Kia vehicles from hereon in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts