Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else disappointed in the ride? Tesla described the Model 3 as "the first mainstream electric car" They don't describe it as a sports car. Most people don't get to drive their cars on race tracks or test tracks but city roads. In fact a few people who have driven with me have said it rides like a truck. So we had a truck ride the same road as the 3. And as it turns out, the ride is very similar. If I had to pick a winner the truck actually handles this rough road more comfortably than the 3.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
@Jetson You posted something similar on the Leaf forum. Clearly you don't agree with the suspension setup Tesla have given the 3.

Suspension setup however by nature is very subjective. For me I want to know how the car behaves when met with a pothole/adverse camber when going around a sweeping corner on a UK B road. No word of a lie but I've experienced car that would literally skip 2 meters sideways due to poor suspension setup - pre 2010 'M' sport BMWs were famous for their inabilty due to stick to your chosen line due to poor suspension setup.

I'm waiting with anticipation to see reviews from Car&Driver / Road and track / MotorTrend on the handling of the Model 3. As their understanding of suspension/ride quality is far superior to anything I've seen posted yet on YouTube.

Your complaints of the vibration at city roads is like saying Usain Bolt cannot be a good runner because he walks with a swagger. Take the car out to situations where the suspension is really tested and that would be much more interesting.

·
1,577 Posts
@Jetson how about adding something else to the discussion aside from just a link to a video on the same subject.

We get it. You don’t like the suspension of the 3.

Please add to the discussion otherwise, next thread started in the same vein gets closed or merged.

Personally, I agree the 3 rides less luxuriously than the S. It is however a better ride than a Roadster. The tech on the 3 is a lot more than either our S or Roadster.

Regards,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Jetson has no interest in the ride, and is only interested in driving traffic to a YouTube video in the hope to generate a varial interest and ultimately cash. You only have to look at how few posts they have done on this site and what they are.

Save yourselves the effort and just ignore. In fact if you’re a mod, I’d delete to stop google thinking the video is interesting on the back of a popular forum.

·
1,577 Posts
Jetson has no interest in the ride, and is only interested in driving traffic to a YouTube video in the hope to generate a varial interest and ultimately cash. You only have to look at how few posts they have done on this site and what they are.

Save yourselves the effort and just ignore. In fact if you’re a mod, I’d delete to stop google thinking the video is interesting on the back of a popular forum.
Let’s see what the response is.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,727 Posts

Which is why I don’t even bother to click on his crappy video. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Let’s see what the response is.
You think they’ll be back?

Backlinks (ie links on external sites to your content) is one of Google’s strongest indicators of relevance, that’s the reason, and I’d say only reason, why this post is on here,If I’m wrong I’ll happiky apologise but we had to get tough on the Tesla unmoderated Facebook group as people were spamming all the time.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I wonder if @Jetson has ever rode in a BMW 3 series, which was one of the benchmark cars for the M3's handling and suspension.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually we sold our BMW 335i to make room for the Model 3. My Model 3 rides rougher on that same road. We sold it to a friend so I am hoping to do a new video comparing them soon.

Also, my Model 3 is in the shop now and Tesla is upgrading the suspension. So at least someone at Tesla agreed with me that the ride was too rough.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,226 Posts
IMG_20180521_093122.jpg
Rented a white model 3 through Turo for 24 hours while in Orlando Florida ( May 2018 )
The ride was excellent and the car fantastic, i find most American cars have a softer ride compared to the cars in the UK anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Why would you compare the ride on a sports orientated saloon to a stupidly oversized pick up truck anyway?
Have you not heard the Model 3 is the best thing in all categories, and at night it goes and stocks soup kitchens and fundraisers for worthy causes.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,226 Posts
Out of curiosity what was the rental cost?
Rental for 24 hours was £200 including insurance.
The owners also have a Model X for hire and the reviews on Turo about them have all been Great.
Rent the car longer and the daily cost is less they can arange to meet you at the Airport, every thing is done through Turo with a credit card.
Ben Sullins ( teslanomics ) on utube used Turo to hire a model 3 a few months before he purchased one with his Tesla reservation.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Have you not heard the Model 3 is the best thing in all categories, and at night it goes and stocks soup kitchens and fundraisers for worthy causes.
You forgot its also reall cheap, half the cost of a S/X/iPace. I like cheap things, but thats just me :).

·
1,577 Posts
Well... Not quite... I'm far too selfish to do that, but I'm sure some of my fellow Model 3 owners do just that (I can think of at least one couple who are entirely too generous IMHO)... :)

You forgot its also reall cheap, half the cost of a S/X/iPace. I like cheap things, but thats just me :).
Anyone picking a Model 3 right now can be purchasing a Model S 70 for a few more bucks... It's not really cheap yet... But still less expensive than the other cars in our garage (when purchased new). :cool:. (We picked up my wife's Roadster as the SECOND OWNER during the big "2013 End of Summer Roadster Glut", so TIMING IS EVERYTHING)

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Anyone picking a Model 3 right now can be purchasing a Model S 70 for a few more bucks... It's not really cheap yet... But still less expensive than the other cars in our garage (when purchased new). :cool:. (We picked up my wife's Roadster as the SECOND OWNER during the big "2013 End of Summer Roadster Glut", so TIMING IS EVERYTHING)
Now your just showing off!! Any plans to complete the collection with a X yet?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts