Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the bluster about silent EV's mowing down unwitting pedestrians I had hoped for a little more head turning as I glide by in my futurmobile. But nope, not one person has done a double take as I pass.

Perhaps the noise of tyres on tarmac is enough to mask the benefit of electric to most passers by? And why cant I upload my own pedestrian alert sound, Tardis anyone?

·
Registered
295 Posts
But nope, not one person has done a double take as I pass.
I did expect a little more people attention, but nothing! The only time I get any attention it when I'm plugging into charge, but then that is just people looking on from afar.

When driving along unless you're in the 'know' people don't realise you're driving a futuremobile.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
my favourite game is to slowly drive around tescos car park, creep up behind people and just wait until they realise there is a car 2 inches behind them and watch them jump out of the skin :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I get turned heads all the time round here but it is true that above about 25mph the sound to a pedestrian isn't much different because of tyre noise.

Perhaps we could start a naked driving club! Anyone?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
I just wish that the 'Pedestrian Alert' on the Ampera was variable, in fact save any MP3 WAV file etc to the car and choose it.
Current favourite would be minions from Despicable Me 2 going 'mee maw, mee maw'

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
h8ten…..
………...you have just ruined my Volt experience for me. I want, no need the mee maw sound in my life.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
@AndyG I have it as my notification sound on my phone, only downside is that on my phone it is very loud compared to the ringtone. I might need to play about with it on the computer to try and tone it down a bit.
@Darren Griffin best time I received alerts was when my brother and I were on a Segway experience with three other people and whilst 'bombing' through the grounds of Scone Palace out bellows this 'mee maw, mee maw'.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
h8ten……
………….Many moons ago I had one of the first mobile's that you could record your own ring tone on. I got both of my kids to say "pick up the phone" in turn a few times. The looks I used to get as people looked around their office for two small girls was priceless. In fact I returned to an office I had not visited for a few years and the girl on reception said "Ohh your the man with his kids as his ring tone"

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Meant to bump this yesterday. My wife took the LEAF out and I was cleaning the kitchen floor (rock-n-roll life I lead) and I heard the LEAF coming no later than any other car that drove by the house that morning. It was a different sound, but it was indeed mostly the road noise that I heard, and the whine, and it matched any ICE car in volume.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had a few double-takes in car parks and at a roadworks (one worker chatting to another hadn't heard me pull up behind him and had to be told by his mate to move). Best one was in the first week we had the Zoe - it was a dark evening, and I was driving down my road and saw a couple walking their dog on the other side of the road to my house, with their backs toward me. As I pulled up ready to reverse into my driveway, they must have seen the light from my headlights but clearly hadn't heard a car - they looked around to see where all the light was coming from, finally spotted my moving car, and then just stopped and watched until I was parked!

As for road noise, yeah, about 20-30 it's easy to hear an EV, especially in the wet - you're really only got stealth mode below 20ish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I seem to recall a while ago the government said that all electric cars would have to be fitted with an artificial engine noise. Not heard any mention of this recently. Did they drop the idea, or maybe I imagined it!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd assumed that the pedestrian warning noise was just that? Seems crazy to mandate a noise over 15/20mph because, as others here have pointed out, it's the road noise that you hear anyway, not the engine noise.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grr headlines like that make me so angry :mad:

Our other car is a Prius, that's as silent as an EV when pulling away, how many people have been mown down by them where the absence of noise was a factor? None I'll wager.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts