Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 45 minutes today, after 3 15 consecutive minutes bursts of climate climate control on 23c, defrost on, heated windows, seats on. Full battery and charger plugged in and switched on.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Meanwhile wife's VW transporter clear in 5 minutes with the engine running.

Unimpressed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Annoyingly I’ve just noticed a

That was defrost, seats, mirrors, steering wheel, climate on 22. Triggered manually not on a schedule. Car was not plugged in.
Thanks for confirming. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning, not plugged in.
I'm sure in the past it worked when it wasn't plugged in... now that'll be an interesting test (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You seem to be saying that remote activated preheating doesn’t work whilst car is plugged in for charging? Are you sure about that? I find that very hard to believe to be honest. It would be very surprising if that is actually the case. In my experience I thought remote heating works either way. The only difference being where the 15 minutes of heating energy comes from, the battery or the grid. Peter
I'm sorry you find it hard to believe. What can I tell you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry I don’t mean to be a disbeliever and I’m certainly not saying you are lying. I would just like to see a bit more scientific verification. Like maybe repeat the test but perhaps watch the car more closely as you send the app command. UVO/Kia connect is famously unreliable and quirky, there can be a knack to get it working as you expect. It may be that on the day when you did 3 consecutive heating sessions that only the last one or two worked. Maybe someone else can verify this? I feel you may be jumping to the wrong conclusion. Just saying. Peter
Annoyingly it looks like the frosts are done with for a while.

I'll try it again next time, plugged in. On the app yesterday, turning on Climate Control gave a 'success' message on UVO, and clearly something fired up as the screen had begun to demist (plus the seat and steering wheel were warm).

I'm just wondering whether it won't defrost if charging, but will if plugged in and not charging. Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In my experience this is what happens:

1) Car plugged in, but no power available from EVSE - Remote climate will not work
2) Car plugged in, power is available from EVSE - Remote climate works fine
3) Car not plugged in - Remote climate works fine

HTH
I think you've experienced what I'm thinking.
The car was plugged in, and although fully charged, PodPoint had switched off at 4:30am (Octopus Go!).
I'm going to retry that scenario next frosty night, which looks like this weekend....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
UPDATE: :geek:

Tried the same scenario as before, this morning.

Podpoint timed charge 00:30-04:30.
Climate Control including Defrost set from app at 6am.
After 15 minutes, no clear windscreen (only partial).

So it seems that maybe the Podpoint ending the charge rather than the car is causing a problem given what ARB71 has said above, that the Podpoint remained live.

The car only needs a tiny top-up tomorrow morning, so I'll plug in tonight and leave Podpoint on (off schedule). Then try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts