Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Annoyingly I’ve just noticed a

That was defrost, seats, mirrors, steering wheel, climate on 22. Triggered manually not on a schedule. Car was not plugged in.
Thanks for confirming. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning, not plugged in.
I'm sure in the past it worked when it wasn't plugged in... now that'll be an interesting test (y)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
On my app-less retro First Edition I get to do it manually. :)
It was clear in about 3 mins.
Just a reference point as to what to expect.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
940 Posts
Now you mention it, I once remotely set the car to cool while it was on a public charger. I found the temperature inside to be nothing like cool when I got in but thought nothing of it. But perhaps when being on a relatively slow AC charger it cannot draw enough juice to properly heat or cool.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Unplugged, Defrost worked a dream this morning.

Frustrating this means if I know it's going to be frosty I can't leave it to charge overnight, but at least I now know.
You seem to be saying that remote activated preheating doesn’t work whilst car is plugged in for charging? Are you sure about that? I find that very hard to believe to be honest. It would be very surprising if that is actually the case. In my experience I thought remote heating works either way. The only difference being where the 15 minutes of heating energy comes from, the battery or the grid. Peter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You seem to be saying that remote activated preheating doesn’t work whilst car is plugged in for charging? Are you sure about that? I find that very hard to believe to be honest. It would be very surprising if that is actually the case. In my experience I thought remote heating works either way. The only difference being where the 15 minutes of heating energy comes from, the battery or the grid. Peter
I'm sorry you find it hard to believe. What can I tell you.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
I'm sorry you find it hard to believe. What can I tell you.
Sorry I don’t mean to be a disbeliever and I’m certainly not saying you are lying. I would just like to see a bit more scientific verification. Like maybe repeat the test but perhaps watch the car more closely as you send the app command. UVO/Kia connect is famously unreliable and quirky, there can be a knack to get it working as you expect. It may be that on the day when you did 3 consecutive heating sessions that only the last one or two worked. Maybe someone else can verify this? I feel you may be jumping to the wrong conclusion. Just saying. Peter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry I don’t mean to be a disbeliever and I’m certainly not saying you are lying. I would just like to see a bit more scientific verification. Like maybe repeat the test but perhaps watch the car more closely as you send the app command. UVO/Kia connect is famously unreliable and quirky, there can be a knack to get it working as you expect. It may be that on the day when you did 3 consecutive heating sessions that only the last one or two worked. Maybe someone else can verify this? I feel you may be jumping to the wrong conclusion. Just saying. Peter
Annoyingly it looks like the frosts are done with for a while.

I'll try it again next time, plugged in. On the app yesterday, turning on Climate Control gave a 'success' message on UVO, and clearly something fired up as the screen had begun to demist (plus the seat and steering wheel were warm).

I'm just wondering whether it won't defrost if charging, but will if plugged in and not charging. Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After 45 minutes today, after 3 15 consecutive minutes bursts of climate climate control on 23c, defrost on, heated windows, seats on. Full battery and charger plugged in and switched on. View attachment 153092

Meanwhile wife's VW transporter clear in 5 minutes with the engine running.

Unimpressed.
There's definitely something wrong but I don't have any ideas for what. 5 to 10 mins on 23oc should be plenty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In my experience this is what happens:

1) Car plugged in, but no power available from EVSE - Remote climate will not work
2) Car plugged in, power is available from EVSE - Remote climate works fine
3) Car not plugged in - Remote climate works fine

HTH
I think you've experienced what I'm thinking.
The car was plugged in, and although fully charged, PodPoint had switched off at 4:30am (Octopus Go!).
I'm going to retry that scenario next frosty night, which looks like this weekend....

21 - 40 of 44 Posts