Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected a white leaf at ikea Nottingham yesterday. it had finished charging so I disconnected it, closed the flaps and plugged in my own car. There wasn't a number left on the dash or anything. We were gone just under an hour and it was still there when I left so he's probably still wondering why someone disconnected his car (Notts isn't exactly a hub of ev's)

So anyway my point is (yes there's a point) did I do the "done" thing? I felt quite guilty unplugging his car but I wouldn't have a problem someone unplugging mine once it's finished.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is no accepted etiquette on this one. If it had stopped charging then I guess it is OK but it is purely down to what you are happy with. Remember, it is possible that you might incur the wrath of the owner if he returns and catches you in the act... probably worth remembering.

Theoretically it could be in breach of some law and in California I believe it would be in breach of the law but here I am not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
So this was the ecotricity rapid? And it was finished when you arrived? Then you plugged in and charged. And when you left he was still there?
So he'd probably arrived at least half an hour before you, and your charge probably took about an hour.

I reckon if he'd plugged in at a rapid at IKEA for a rapid charge and was gone longer than 90 minutes, then his shopping experience was probably a whole lot worse than you unplugging him. He may well have even been grateful - you hastened his exit!

Seriously though, this and other IKEA rapids are clearly signposted to say if you'll be a while, please come back and move your car. So no IMO, you shouldn't feel guilty for a gentle, harmless nudge in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Are there notices stating that those bays are for charging vehicles only? The driver of the car you unplugged was as guilty of blocking the rapid charger as an ICE would have been. You have nothing to feel guilty about.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I charged my Leaf with a rapid charger for the first time, at IKEA in Edinburgh. After I'd had my free hot chocolate and bought the inevitable plastic bowls, I went back out to see I'd been disconnected, with another Leaf using the charger. I was slightly surprised, but the other driver (sitting in his car, obviously not wanting to risk buying any more tea-lights) explained that it automatically was disconnectable when it had finished.

I was quite happy with this, I wouldn't want to block someone else from using it. I can't have been more than a few minutes after it had finished, this would apply even more if I were longer for some reason.

I had intended to see if I could persuade the charger to take me to 100% (it would only let me set it to 80% initially) but I didn't bother in the end. Do you just plug it in again, or restart the charging?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I think that if someone has left their car plugged in and the charging session has finished then, assuming that you are doing no harm to their car then unplugging and plugging in is perfectly acceptable.

I was embarrassed last week, having pulled into a Nisan dealer to RC, meaning only to be 20 minutes but getting collared by someone. After one hour my car was at 97% on the RC and there was someone else sat there who had left his car, flap up. I plugged him in and made sure that the charge had started.

I would have been much happier had he swiped the dealer's card and unplugged me. I should have made that clear when I went.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
(Notts isn't exactly a hub of ev's)
They're too busy throwing money at the (really popular) tram system. I did email the council for information on their policy towards EVs...but didn't get a response.

Not surprised really, Nottm has always been about trying to deter people from driving in Nottingham: Bus lanes 24/7 (even with buses not running), speed humps on virtually every side street, workplace parking levy and the HUGE amounts spent on the tram. Always remember a stat that, with the money spent on the tram, they could have given all city residents free bus travel for life.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
They're too busy throwing money at the (really popular) tram system. I did email the council for information on their policy towards EVs...but didn't get a response.

Not surprised really, Nottm has always been about trying to deter people from driving in Nottingham: Bus lanes 24/7 (even with buses not running), speed humps on virtually every side street, workplace parking levy and the HUGE amounts spent on the tram. Always remember a stat that, with the money spent on the tram, they could have given all city residents free bus travel for life.
Don't get me started on the tram :(

It is causing massive havoc for us. The works are nearly a year behind schedule on Queens Drive, constant promises it will be done fall flat.

This is how I envisage the council meeting went:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Absolutely agree would want my car unplugged when finished charging. Went to Ikea Wednesbury to sign for some solar panels Friday. Plugged in meaning to be quick but things took longer than hoped so charge finished
When I emerged. No one waiting thankfully.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Which reminds me Steve - if you are sat outside Greenhous then please unplug my car
Thanks Jason and likewise. Though I am normally sat having my lunch when there!

Got there this morning and for the first time (for me) both sockets in use - one by a zoe that looked like a courtesy car. A Renault chap told me to plug in round the back at the service leads. Shortly after a Nissan chap told me not
to as not marked bays. A different Nissan chap (our keyholder) told me he would find a way if desparate but I wasn't and two Leafs on charge there anyway.

In the unlikely event that I felt the need to unplug yours if it was finished is your cable locked in....or would you want it left with dealer staff for safe keeping....?

A little off topic....sorry!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What was up at ikea? I've seemingly done 100s of QCs and can't remember too much trouble releasing. inserting/starting occasionally for sure. Do you know the tip of pressing the top button, pulling out slightly, then the button again? makes it easier. The connector is NOT a good design - there are newer ones that are much easier to use

1 - 20 of 22 Posts