Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
It's JLRs best selling vehicle, and they don't even make it themselves 馃ぃ馃ぃ

The discounts are hitting as more people are wanting a vehicle with more room inside it in that size bracket and a more efficient setup.
The looks don't help it too much either.

Registered
2013 Volt
Discussion Starter #3

The discounts are hitting as more people are wanting a vehicle with more room inside it in that size bracket and a more efficient setup.
You may be right, I don't really understand the ins and outs of sales of the vehicle, I just know it's kind of unobtanium for me, but I want one. It would allow me to drive a nice BEV without all the drama of being one of the Tesla adopters. (This is not to say I wouldn't drive a Tesla, I'm just saying it's not hard for me to make the argument for a Jaguar). This vehicle deserves some extra credit for having been really the first competitor to the luxury Teslas, and yet even before the virus hit, sometimes I thought there wasn't quite as much buzz around the vehicle as I might have thought.

I will say it seems likely, to me, that at least part of the reason for these particular discounts is the impact of the virus on vehicle sales here in the US, and on the economy, as well as the expiration of the model year inherently putting some depreciation on the 2019s.

Registered

I test drove one (in the UK) over nearly 1,000 miles and eventually went for an eTron instead due to vagaries of leasing rates. I think the IPace looks fantastic and the handling and performance were far better than the eTron (which is plenty fast enough itself, but feels very heavy). Range on the Jag was poor at motorway speeds but looked like it would hold up better than the Audi at slower speed. I have heard a lot of reliability issues, but then my car has also been a bit of a reliability disaster. Not unhappy with my choice, but if leasing rates had been more related to the car's sticker price then I would definitely have gone for the IPace. $20k off sounds like a good deal...although clearly it is still a lot of money.

Reactions: Bivvy

Registered
2013 Volt
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There's a lot of TSB's with he Ipace and some willy things as well I've seen when I worked for a dealer network. But it's a jlr product so it's to be expected 馃ぃ馃槈
I can't speak to whether there have been more technical issues with the early I-Pace than with the very first luxury BEVs from other marques, but I think a certain amount of that should be talked up to "all manufacturers are going to go through at least a certain amount of that". When the news stories hit in December that many issues had been addressed on the I-Pace in a sort of batch (it seemed like), and that range had been improved, I was hopeful that this would help. [edited]. I'm curious now: will try to look around for post-December reviews to see if they bring into focus pros/cons of the vehicle versus the competition now that it has been reviewed. I also am wondering if the range improvements are retroactive to the 2019 models, and if those discounted new 2019 models for sale at the link above are being sold with the original (much criticized) range issues or with improved range.

Registered
I can't speak to whether there have been more technical issues with the early I-Pace than with the very first luxury BEVs from other marques, but I think a certain amount of that should be talked up to "all manufacturers are going to go through at least a certain amount of that". When the news stories hit in December that many issues had been addressed on the I-Pace in a sort of batch (it seemed like), and that range had been improved, I was hopeful that this would help. [edited]. I'm curious now: will try to look around for post-December reviews to see if they bring into focus pros/cons of the vehicle versus the competition now that it has been reviewed. I also am wondering if the range improvements are retroactive to the 2019 models, and if those discounted new 2019 models for sale at the link above are being sold with the original (much criticized) range issues or with improved range.
I believe that the range improvement was a software update coded h264. It released more battery capacity and thereby improved range. You can tell if a car hasn't had it done as the battery gauge pre-h264 is a curved design at the bottom of the power meter. Post update it's rectangular. I have seen reports that the GOM is less reliable at lower SoC levels post update, with some owners reporting that they see sudden drops in predicted range at very low (<5%) SoC. My experience with the iPace was that the GOM was pretty flaky at the best of times...that's one thing Audi have got absolutely right with the eTron.

Reactions: jlsoaz

Registered
2013 Volt
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that the range improvement was a software update coded h264. It released more battery capacity and thereby improved range. You can tell if a car hasn't had it done as the battery gauge pre-h264 is a curved design at the bottom of the power meter. Post update it's rectangular. I have seen reports that the GOM is less reliable at lower SoC levels post update, with some owners reporting that they see sudden drops in predicted range at very low (<5%) SoC. My experience with the iPace was that the GOM was pretty flaky at the best of times...that's one thing Audi have got absolutely right with the eTron.
Good to know. I'm only just now realizing that, as far as I know, these vehicles come with the US $7,500 tax credit. It's just not my territory financially, but it sure seems like a decent deal for someone, if they are ok to suffer the depreciation costs on a luxury new vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts