Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 2017 Passat GTE Advance.

I am only modestly tech savvy!

Looking at downloading the latest version of the navigation system. Went online and downloaded the DiscoverCare app. Have been trying to download the Europe maps onto a USB flash drive. The app recognises this.

A screen opens with "Download" and "Installation" bars.

My concern is that when I start downloading it seems incredibly slow! It is estimating in excess of 2 days to do the download. Now I thought our line speed was not the fastest (about 25mbps) but that seems inordinately long.

Has anyone else had this experience? Wonder what I am doing wrong...

As always any advice e would be very gratefully received.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Driving a 2017 Passat GTE Advance.

I am only modestly tech savvy!

Looking at downloading the latest version of the navigation system. Went online and downloaded the DiscoverCare app. Have been trying to download the Europe maps onto a USB flash drive. The app recognises this.

A screen opens with "Download" and "Installation" bars.

My concern is that when I start downloading it seems incredibly slow! It is estimating in excess of 2 days to do the download. Now I thought our line speed was not the fastest (about 25mbps) but that seems inordinately long.

Has anyone else had this experience? Wonder what I am doing wrong...

As always any advice e would be very gratefully received.
Download estimated time very random, can say 4 hours, jump to 2, then rise to 3, etc.
We updated our Discover Pro using Discover Care app on Mac OS about 8 weeks ago, just after new maps were released. Took about 3-4 hours on 70mb fibre, for downloading and install onto usb.
Taking about 35-40 minutes to install in car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much. The file name showing up DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1310_V11.7z. I have downloaded this to my MacBook Pro and when I unzipped it it has opened as a file Map which I have copied onto an SD card. Is that what I should use for downloading - or are there any other steps.

What is a bit annoying in retrospect is that I hadn't realised when I bought the Passat secondhand from a VW dealer in the UK that it should have come with an SD card for the DiscoverMedia system. I will contact them and see if I can get one through them.

If all else fails I have Sygic on my iPhone which in many ways is a better and simpler navigation system working off the iPhone's location system with a bonus of an audible warning alarm if you exceed the speed limit. It also shows fixed location speed camera locations which is handy. It operates through Apple Connect onto the screen and updates easily.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I downloaded to an SD card which I put in the SD slot and then went to the update section of the Navigation Screen to update from SD/USB. Got the message attached below.
thumbnail.jpeg IMG_7803.JPG

·
Registered
634 Posts
You need to copy the map data to the root on the SD card, if you don’t, it can fail with that error message. As it doesn’t see the data.
Also if you have downloaded and installed via MacOS, unless you’re using VW Discover Care app, the OS adds a few hidden files to the SD card, again causing similar errors.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You need to copy the map data to the root on the SD card, if you don’t, it can fail with that error message. As it doesn’t see the data.
Also if you have downloaded and installed via MacOS, unless you’re using VW Discover Care app, the OS adds a few hidden files to the SD card, again causing similar errors.
The DiscoverCare application copies the data onto the SD card for you.

@DPF it doesn’t always work first time. Format the SD card as FAT32 before you start then try again. Are you able to park the car within range of WiFi and try it that way? It’s also very slow, but gets there in the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts