Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
780 Posts
In the first segment on Hybrid emissions, they kept intermingling terminology between "electric cars" and "electrified cars". At one point he made the dubious point that "The prevailing wisdom is that electric cars are clean. When it comes to VOCs it isn't always the case".

Hmmm.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah watched the segment on hybrids, at the start they said they had tested a number of hybrids, petrol and diesel vehicles. Then in the results, that the hybrids had higher volatile emissions than the latest diesels, but didn't seem to mention how the petrol hybrids compared to regular petrol cars which would seem a more representative comparison.

Diesel and petrol are different fuels, with different combustion properties and engine behaviour, so a comparison between petrol hybrids and regular petrols is quite a useful measure. But there was no data given, no information on relative differences, or how the measure is calculated, is it just when the engine is running, or over a set distance etc.

Then the bit on batteries started with some accurate information on lithium ion battery life but didn't discuss that most EVs already incorporate battery safety margin in their design and charging controls. I suspect some viewers will come away with the impression they need to micro manage the charging.

I didn't think it was a very good programme, which is a shame because it could have been.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
811 Posts
Yeah watched the segment on hybrids, at the start they said they had tested a number of hybrids, petrol and diesel vehicles. Then in the results, that the hybrids had higher volatile emissions than the latest diesels, but didn't seem to mention how the petrol hybrids compared to regular petrol cars which would seem a more representative comparison.

Diesel and petrol are different fuels, with different combustion properties and engine behaviour, so a comparison between petrol hybrids and regular petrols is quite a useful measure. But there was no data given, no information on relative differences, or how the measure is calculated, is it just when the engine is running, or over a set distance etc.

Then the bit on batteries started with some accurate information on lithium ion battery life but didn't discuss that most EVs already incorporate battery safety margin in their design and charging controls. I suspect some viewers will come away with the impression they need to micro manage the charging.

I didn't think it was a very good programme, which is a shame because it could have been.
I concur, pretty poor reporting, strange that all the motorway chargers didn't work in September... Gridsreve were swapping them over, who knew.. we all did?

And didn't I spot an oil tank in his garden, he needs to do a program on heat pumps.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
568 Posts
You have to bear in mind that only a small proportion of folk read forums such as this, so unaware of what is happening on Gridserve swaps for instance. Also very little (read none) information on how to use an EV, how to charge etc is given to purchasers by dealers. I had no real info given to me when I collected my car. I think sales people need to up there game it's not the same as selling to drivers that are already petrol/diesel and possibly automatic savvy, more info needs to be conveyed, including charging etiquette.

Sunday's Top Gear didn't advance the EV cause either.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
Haven't watched it yet. Probably won't. And most people would not change from ICE to EV without doing a great amount of research. Would they? Watching a TV programme doesn’t really count as research.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So bizarre.

Not sure how the presenter, an experienced EV driver, can be so confused.

Apparently a 9 year old Leaf has a small battery and low range. A newer car has more range, but if you use 20% to 80% it's lower range than using 100%. And electric cars emit VOCs when they burn petrol.

The 10% of rapids being out of order was the only worthwhile information presented. That came from Zapmap.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I missed the hybrid section - but the second half in BEV’s was fine I thought. Probably helped by the presenter being a long term EV user.

sensible sections on how fragmented the charging network was, how it possibly needed strategic (govt) oversight. Picked up that broken chargers were an issue - and how your ‘usable 20-80’ range is much less than the 0-100 advertised. Presenter also said that many times it all worked fine.

for a documentary series with a reputation for seeking the controversy I thought it did alright. I missed the hybrid segment though.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
780 Posts
The hybrid section was actually fine in most respects too. It was a useful topic showing that hybrids are still emitters. It was just annoying that they kept inter changing terminology, and as mentioned above, it would have been more meaningful if the comparison of the hybrid's emissions was with the equivalent petrol only model.

·
Registered
Citroen C4e Shine
101 Posts
You have to bear in mind that only a small proportion of folk read forums such as this, so unaware of what is happening on Gridserve swaps for instance. Also very little (read none) information on how to use an EV, how to charge etc is given to purchasers by dealers. I had no real info given to me when I collected my car. I think sales people need to up there game it's not the same as selling to drivers that are already petrol/diesel and possibly automatic savvy, more info needs to be conveyed, including charging etiquette.

Sunday's Top Gear didn't advance the EV cause either.
Agree 100%, with comments on info when buying- they are more interested in selling gap insurance and paint protection and make you sign mis selling disclaimers - WHAT needs to happen is that before taking a sale of an EV the buyer is directed to the manufacturers NEW legal range, battery management and charging page and they sign that they have read and understood. It’s a very different world, just how many of those charges boasted about are non rapids….

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Agree 100%, with comments on info when buying- they are more interested in selling gap insurance and paint protection and make you sign mis selling disclaimers - WHAT needs to happen is that before taking a sale of an EV the buyer is directed to the manufacturers NEW legal range, battery management and charging page and they sign that they have read and understood. It’s a very different world, just how many of those charges boasted about are non rapids….
My experience also .... the Audi dealership I've used has next to zero information on best practice usage and frankly fairly limited data on their own products. Lead to believe this is becoming the norm. And not just in this country. Audi buyers in the US express the same view.

They are however exceptional on explaining financing packages. Funny that.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,824 Posts
Diesel and petrol are different fuels, with different combustion properties and engine behaviour, so a comparison between petrol hybrids and regular petrols is quite a useful measure.
You need to be careful here because, no, this is misleading.

There are petrol engines designed to run more like diesel engines, these are direct injection engines and you might note they are given the same emissions limits in Euro 6 as diesels, because ... they are basically diesel engines running with octane.

A 'diesel engine' is one with compression ignition direct injection. Diesel's first design ran on powdered coal dust but you could run them on any powdered combustible material (I have always wondered whether running them directly off flour or sugar might be a good idea) or liquid fuel, which includes octane.

So, the two engine approaches are; a volatile homogenous mix that is then detonated, or a volume of air into which the fuel is injected. Cars fuelled by petrol can be either.

Such as Ford Ecoboost or VW TSI. They are not fully diesel, but part of the cylinder combustion is a diesel-engine-like operation and have similar emissions content.

This always confused me about why a direct petrol Euro 4 would be allowed in an emissions zone, when it is not much better than a Euro 4 diesel. I guess the people who make up the rules think they know better than those that don't make up rules.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I missed the hybrid section - but the second half in BEV’s was fine I thought. Probably helped by the presenter being a long term EV user.
I'm surprised you say that. How many 9 year old Leafs are still on the road? A hundred? How is their range an issue worth giving national attention?

The actual story is WLTP range. Newcomers are being seriously misled. There are people who come onto this forum baffled by their new car's lack of range. They wonder if it has a fault. Often they get sarcastic replies from us but why should anyone need to go off to research real world range?

The segment on usually driving between 20% and 80% was a dud because it failed to say you can charge to 100% ahead of a long journey.

·
Registered
454 Posts
WLTP is fine if you understand its like MPG - just an estimate. Maybe they should use miles/KWh instead as a closer comparison? But evne then you won't always get that.

the 80-20 is odd though. 80% is a general guide and if you are doing your 'most trips are less than 8 miles' then keeping it between 80-20 is fine as the 'range' is not relevant. Range matters for long trips and then you just charge to 100%

Reactions: onlineo
1 - 20 of 57 Posts