Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
WLTP isn't really like mpg. A lot of people achieve official mpg. I beat it in my current car.

Nobody ever seems to come anywhere close to WLTP except on artificial experiments for their YouTube channel.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,823 Posts
WLTP isn't really like mpg. A lot of people achieve official mpg. I beat it in my current car.

Nobody ever seems to come anywhere close to WLTP except on artificial experiments for their YouTube channel.
??

I used to beat NEDC by 10~20%, now I beat WLTP by 30~50%.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts

I tend to agree. I once tried hard to see if I could get 348 miles range from my Model 3, driving it like a little old lady to try and eke out the battery. I managed about 320 miles, and that was in warm and dry weather. By contrast, it was easy to exceed the official mpg in my Prius PHEV. After five years and tens of thousands of miles its average MPG was way over the official MPG.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
WLTP for Ioniq 38 is 194 miles I believe. I manage that in summer no probs driving at genuine 60-65 mph, and also in winter if I shelter behind HGVs for part of my trips at 10C on damp roads. But then this is about the most aerodynamic EV there is, along with Molde 3. Maybe latest Merc is more aerodynamic, but is also a lot bigger & heavier & more expensive...

·
31,823 Posts
Donald, this is a discussion about EVs. The clue is in the name SpeakEV. You are sometimes a good troll but more often a silly troll.
Where did I mention ICE?

I can beat ICE WLTP by 100%!!!!!

BEVs I beat WLTP by 50% or so.

My point is that what you just put there is drivel that people with lead-weighted right feet say because they have no discipline to stick with efficient driving principles. You are blaming someone else for you not achieving WLTP when in fact it is entirely within your own control to do so.

WLTP is easy to achieve. I can see that people might have struggled with NEDC but the point of WLTP is that it is more realistic (if you don't drive your car like you are in a race).

I think a lot of people here achieve WLTP. They are always claiming 5mi/kWh for their cars, and WLTP is usually less than that for their cars.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,970 Posts
And they showed an Instavolt which was not working!
I've seen quite a lot of broken Instavolt chargers in my time....

I concur, pretty poor reporting, strange that all the motorway chargers didn't work in September... Gridsreve were swapping them over, who knew.. we all did?
I still see quite a lot of broken Gridserve chargers too. My success rate between broken chargers and CCS users blocking the only usable CHAdeMo point when they could have used numerous other chargers is still only 30%...

Agree 100%, with comments on info when buying- they are more interested in selling gap insurance and paint protection and make you sign mis selling disclaimers - WHAT needs to happen is that before taking a sale of an EV the buyer is directed to the manufacturers NEW legal range, battery management and charging page and they sign that they have read and understood. It’s a very different world, just how many of those charges boasted about are non rapids….
This is by far the biggest problem. Dealers don't care one jot about the fact that an EV is a totally different ownership proposition to an ICE - they are completely different vehicles, and an EV requires a lifestyle change. Far too many people are buying into EVs with no clue about how to use them, what to do when charging away from home and how actually they need to change their behaviour and not expect a completely new technology to be exactly the same as the old one.

Reactions: Mkultra

·
Registered
174 Posts
So bizarre.

Not sure how the presenter, an experienced EV driver, can be so confused.

Apparently a 9 year old Leaf has a small battery and low range. A newer car has more range, but if you use 20% to 80% it's lower range than using 100%. And electric cars emit VOCs when they burn petrol.

The 10% of rapids being out of order was the only worthwhile information presented. That came from Zapmap.
I was amazed that 90% were working

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where did I mention ICE?

I can beat ICE WLTP by 100%!!!!!

BEVs I beat WLTP by 50% or so.

My point is that what you just put there is drivel that people with lead-weighted right feet say because they have no discipline to stick with efficient driving principles. You are blaming someone else for you not achieving WLTP when in fact it is entirely within your own control to do so.

WLTP is easy to achieve. I can see that people might have struggled with NEDC but the point of WLTP is that it is more realistic (if you don't drive your car like you are in a race).

I think a lot of people here achieve WLTP. They are always claiming 5mi/kWh for their cars, and WLTP is usually less than that for their cars.
It's mostly because a concerningly large proportion of motorists are, frankly, idiots. It was an issue with ICE when I worked for a manufacturer when the low-displacement engines had first been introduced, with the potential for nippy cars and 60+ mpg extra-urban. Had to visit a few dealers because it was claimed "something was wrong with the cars", and essentially the issue was that people thought (and still continue to think) that MPG was a magic number that just happens without any skill/effort. You'd get people wringing the neck off the cars and wondering why they didn't get more than 30 mpg.

It's the same with a lot of the EV stuff I see on social media - people drive in excess of the speed limit and turn the car into a toaster oven and criticise the range. The WLTP has never been based on that kind of stuff, and shouldn't be - but it's more than achievable, as you say, if you're conscious about energy usage.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
and an EV requires a lifestyle change
That's because people are being told the exact opposite by the marketing, that the shiny new model from X does everything that their ICE did whilst saving the unicorns and charging their mobile phone. :devilish:
essentially the issue was that people thought (and still continue to think) that MPG was a magic number that just happens without any skill/effort. You'd get people wringing the neck off the cars and wondering why they didn't get more than 30 mpg.
But when you ask them about their car they'll claim 10-20% more than WLTP o_O
people drive in excess of the speed limit and turn the car into a toaster oven and criticise the range
But they have a right to do that - speed limits are for everyone else who is less clever than them, and it's only waste heat. :devilish:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
I have always wondered whether running them directly off flour or sugar might be a good idea
Too high a flame speed. Much more fun for blowing the lids off of biscuit tins and making flame throwers. :devilish:
So, the two engine approaches are; a volatile homogenous mix that is then detonated, or a volume of air into which the fuel is injected. Cars fuelled by petrol can be either.
As can cars fuelled by diesel.

·
31,823 Posts
As can cars fuelled by diesel.
It's true that one can create a mix by evaporating higher alkanes for spark ignition but I doubt it would pass modern emissions controls because of, as it happens, the inverse of your previous answer; too slow a flame front! My Grandfather used to recall how he built a paraffin evaporator during WW2 that fitted on the side of his Matchless motorbike, paraffin being still available where petrol was rationed or not available.

Yes, possible, but it just isn't done. Direct injection of a stratified petrol mix is done. Basically there is a small mixed volume which then compression-ignites the co-incident direct injection.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
too slow a flame front! My Grandfather used to recall how he built a paraffin evaporator during WW2 that fitted on the side of his Matchless motorbike, paraffin being still available where petrol was rationed or not available.
Lovely long stroke and low speed engine = perfect for a slow flame front

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
245 Posts

I was getting better than WLTP in my EQC dyring the milder weather (it was del mid Sept). Now it isnot asgood but given my journey profile it is still acceptable and not too far off.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
627 Posts
The programme was simply a hatchet job. No mention of anything positive at all. Not even points directly relevant to their ‘arguments’ like battery warranties or demonstrably strong resale values.
C4 need to give their heads a wobble for broadcasting that anti-EV tripe.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
245 Posts
This is by far the biggest problem. Dealers don't care one jot about the fact that an EV is a totally different ownership proposition to an ICE - they are completely different vehicles, and an EV requires a lifestyle change. Far too many people are buying into EVs with no clue about how to use them, what to do when charging away from home and how actually they need to change their behaviour and not expect a completely new technology to be exactly the same as the old one.
Could not agree more apart from the fact here my dealer was very interested in discussing the differences and also very open to the fact they had no experience as we were the first customers to buy a fully electric car from them! However the sales reps have been using the hybrid for a couple of years and waxed lyrical about them and used that experience to discuss what life with a fully electric car would be like. Getting the home charger was a big point made easier by the fact Mercedes paid for it.
Once we decided to go BEV I spent a long time researching how we would need to adapt and ultimately the biggest thing has been to just do a bit more pre planning of what is happening on the 2 days when I only have nighttime cheap rate (I have cheap rate 3 full days) to adjust the charge I put in to save me plugging in at 10.30pm if I need to, not a problem in the summer but in current freezing temps no fun but not actually really terrible….just lazy not wanting too. Or else somedays I pay the extra 5 centimes per kwh and plug in during the day it is no big deal for me.
As yet I have not made a big long trip but I know enough and understand my car now that it will be lots of stops for coffee as I have always done and a plug in at the same time. None of it is rocket science nor is it a real change to my life just a slight adaptation. Where once I could fill up and not think about range for 3weeks or more I now think of range everyday but that sounds far more effort that it actually is.
I have noticed that the nearest local authority chargers are now busy more frequently as clearly someone at the mairie has bought an e niro which has been plugged in a few times recently when I pass and today a leaf belonging to a friend and maire of another commune was plugged in too!
Unless the gov and press start a proper education campaign the myths about electric vehicle ownership will continue sadly.

·
31,823 Posts
Unless the gov and press start a proper education campaign the myths about electric vehicle ownership will continue sadly.
You'd have to explain what that means exactly, because I've been trying my best to educated people here for 6 years and routinely fail, dismally. And that is with an audience that already likes the idea of EVs.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts