Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
on the 2 days when I only have nighttime cheap rate (I have cheap rate 3 full days) to adjust the charge I put in to save me plugging in at 10.30pm if I need to, not a problem in the summer but in current freezing temps no fun but not actually really terrible….just lazy not wanting to
Doesn't your car have a timer so you can just plug in earlier and let the car decide when to start?

·
Registered
189 Posts
You have to bear in mind that only a small proportion of folk read forums such as this, so unaware of what is happening on Gridserve swaps for instance. Also very little (read none) information on how to use an EV, how to charge etc is given to purchasers by dealers. I had no real info given to me when I collected my car. I think sales people need to up there game it's not the same as selling to drivers that are already petrol/diesel and possibly automatic savvy, more info needs to be conveyed, including charging etiquette.

Sunday's Top Gear didn't advance the EV cause either.
What is/are “Gridserve Swaps”, @artyman? Sorry to be thick!

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
626 Posts
I’m not sure I agree on the dealer comments above.
In the end the only real standard they can mention re range is WLTP, the rest is largely anecdotal. Tbf my dealer did mention winter range reduction. But we all know they are salesmen and they aren’t going to accentuate the negative EV, ICE or otherwise. You have to be well informed on a pricey buy.
In terms of charging Im sure they’re would show you the relevant screens if asked. They can’t realistically demo a charging session practically and there’s so much variation out there anyhows.
I would put more emphasis on manufacturers providing accessible materials- not just manuals, YouTube training videos etc.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
@andrew*debbie ,

We now have three parallel threads running on this same TV programme, all saying much the same, which means anyone that's posted to them gets three notifications for different parts of what is the same discussion, spread across the forum.

Would it be possible to merge all these three threads into one, please?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
WLTP isn't really like mpg. A lot of people achieve official mpg. I beat it in my current car.

Nobody ever seems to come anywhere close to WLTP except on artificial experiments for their YouTube channel.
My experience is the reverse. I dont think i ever got anywhere near official mpg on my ICE cars. I have often met and slightly exceeded my Souls WLTP rating, 300 not unusual in the summer, in this weather of 6deg my Soul is showing 242 @ 88% = 275 @ 100% and and i know I will get that. WLTP is 280.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think the non-viability of owning an EV is just not a dispute anymore. It's happening and now has to happen. It's over: EVs are on the path to adoption. It's like making a program pointing out the disadvantages of computers over typewriters and slide rules at this stage.

If they really wanted to create a controversial program, they could have created one about how we'll all lose if we simply replace ICE cars with EVs and do nothing about ever increasing car dependency without doing anything about mixed mode travel in all urban and suburban environments (and not just London). We need less car use not just different cars.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,970 Posts
Seemed like they also asked people on here which were the worst, too, before planning their journeys around those :LOL:
Why would they go to working chargers? There's no controversy in that, it won't sell TV views...

Do people seriously actually trust what they see on TV nowadays!?

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
136 Posts
We should never have got rid of horses. Harrumph!
Horses - don't get me started. Damn things can't go from Land's End to John O'Groats without being fed. And I don't have hours to spend waiting for it to "recharge" every night.

The emissions on them are awful, too - big solid lumps of it that people slip on!

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
626 Posts
The formula is so painfully obvious. Start with a clickbait idea and tag line, find a few tangential grains of truth to give a facade of gravitas, get a dubious ‘expert’ to pipe up with half truths for 2 minutes of ‘fame’, and dupe a few people to appear on a disgruntled voxpop.
and then they moan about conspiracy theories gaining credence….

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
Horses - don't get me started. Damn things can't go from Land's End to John O'Groats without being fed. And I don't have hours to spend waiting for it to "recharge" every night.

The emissions on them are awful, too - big solid lumps of it that people slip on!
When they're worn out, sell them to Tesco for burgers.

Reactions: cjx

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
568 Posts
And what about trains, I can't catch one from John O'Groats, and when I find a train at he nearest station I have to change a couple of times to get anywhere near Lands End and the closest is Penzance, assuming the track hasn't been washed away en route and it costs a fortune. An EV looks quite good by comparison.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts