Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Display unit stopped worked at 10 days old!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lg01 
#1 ·
My other half had the car last Friday, exactly 10 days after it was delivered to us. While at the lights she touched the screen and turned on the radio - all good, dulcet tones of Sara Cox started up. Then the screen went blank, and no Sara Cox, but thirty seconds or so later screen flashed with whirring Hyundai logo and the radio comes back on. Great - thirty seconds later screen goes blank, radio silent only for the whirring logo and radio sound to come back again after another 30 seconds. And so this went on.

When she got home and switched everything off I thought that just starting up again would reset it, but no. Tried to resent with a paperclip on the reset button on the bottom right corner, but to no avail. By now its 6pm on Friday and it stayed like this all weekend. No visuals on climate control, no sat nav, no blue link, no clock - nothing, just the logo and BBC radio2 every 30 seconds for 30 seconds.

It went into the local dealer on Tuesday and it needs a whole new touchscreen unit. He says that they often use refurbished ones as replacement parts and he could get one of these in a couple of days, but as the car is so new he wants to fit a brand new, non-refurbed one, so I have to wait a couple of weeks for this to be supplied directly.

The guy at the dealer was great, but in no position to do anything than order up the part and wait. Meantime, I've had to turn the volume right the way down and try to ignore the whirring logo every thirty seconds!

See less See more
#2 ·
How annoying. That sounds like the dealer has messed up putting on the latest sat nav and maps update. Maybe they could try putting the update on again, and save ordering a complete replacement unit?

#3 ·
The local dealer did not supply it as it's a corporate lease and that was the first thing they said when I called, but sadly it didn't do the trick. Just had a call from the local dealer to say the replacement unit which is to be a non-refurb is due on or before 26 October!

#4 ·
This is a me to. The dealer actually lost the maps following the BMS updates. I gather that this problem is not exclusive to EV’s made by Hyundai and is due to a change in the procedures for map updates last year.
The new unit took a. Month to arrive but at least the car worked in the meantime, without maps. Now all resolved.

#6 ·
I'm kind of reassured that it's not just me, strangely. The guy at the local dealer said straight away that it sounded like an issue with the updates and he was adamant that it would not be a refurbed unit that they would be fitting. The dealer is the same ones who I dealt with for the Outlander PHEV, so I'm known to them and they to me. Even if they don't supply the vehicle, they always get the services and maintenance. He said that they had some issues with the units in the Ioniq, but that this is the first in the Kona for them.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that Lynda... black gaffer tape over the screen required for now!

Fingers crossed it's sorted on time...

#7 ·
Sounds like that rarest of beasts - a Hyundai dealer who cares and can at least spell "electric"! They're a keeper ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.