Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it is just because I am always on the road so always charging publicly, or if I just seem to attract the wrong people. Has anyone else recently encountered an explosion of new EV owners who are acting rude and entitled? It's always been a bit of a problem over the years but never like what I have observed in this past month or so.

As a few examples:
-Tons of new 20 plate EVs using charging bays as priority parking spaces without bothering to plug in.
-Model 3 Pulled up beside me at Durham services charging a Zoe which was at less than 10% still at that point. "You need to unplug and leave. I'm here now and need a charge" Followed by shouting abuse at me and calling me a liar when I explain that even if I did he couldn't rapid charge there since there is no CCS Connector.
-Returning to my car to find its been emergency stopped and unplugged from the charger, to see that they aren't even using the chademo connector in their new LEAF but instead type 2.
-Finding 69 and 20 plate cars who will not consider leaving a rapid charger before they reach 100%
-BMW 3 Series PHEV Dumped at a rapid charger for almost 3 hours to charge at 3kW blocking others from using it. When calmly trying to explain to them I get a lecture about how she has just spent so much money on a new car so has just as much right to use the charger as I do and if I don't like it I can buy her the type 2 cable to use one of the many 7kW chargers alongside the rapid she blocked.

I think we all agree that more needs to be done regarding education, either from the dealers when selling these cars, or by the charging networks before they give people memberships. But as I have quickly learned it doesn't matter how calm and non confrontational you try to get, if you say a single word to most of these people they react as if you had just punched them in the face!

Can we not just go back to previous years where it was mostly older people who were buying EVs, all friendly people who you could have a good conversation with while charging, and if you tried to help them out by pointing out they were using the wrong connector for example they would thank you and offer some candy.

It was far less stressful and these days I am starting to dread visiting chargers because I don't know who/what I am going to find next.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Education, education, education.

Sadly it will be a continuing issue, and there isn't much that can be done about it until the GP become more familiar with how things work 'best' and until people are financially penalised for being un-educated. Or they install a bajillion chargers in every possible place making the issue moot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm afraid that there are too many people who are stressed, angry or simply unable to relate to others.

I am very sorry that you have had those experiences. They all sound completely unreasonable. Those who don't need, or no longer need, chargers should not block them and it seems to be taking a long time for people to learn that.

However, none of us should play the 'I am more deserving than you' card. That may often be true but for me is always a bad path to go down.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It occurred to me that all the essential info required could be condensed onto a single A5 laminated sheet. It could easily be funded by a sponsor like Octopus, Ohme etc.
As regards distribution, maybe team up with DVLA to send to all newly registered EV owners?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Education? You can’t educate the ignorant unfortunately.

I disempower them by just ignoring them, avoiding any confrontation, and finding another charger if necessary.

It’s annoying, but then other people often are.

I find your blocking PHEV drivers soon lose interest in bothering to plug in, even on rapids.

I still find the biggest problem with accessing a charge in a timely fashion is the charger being broken/offline or another EV is legitimately using it.

I avoid single rapid sites for that reason unless they’re nearby and I can have a look on my way to the usual 4 bay rapids I prefer to use.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The issue of charging to 100% at rapids has to be addressed by charge networks, by making the chargers cut off below, say 6kw, but also showing a message onscreen that they should move to an AC charger.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just because you give information, it does not mean everyone will agree. The reason why Instavolt DC chargers are an improvement, unless you have a Zoe, but even then, I leave all the EH chargers for the Zoe to use.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The issue of charging to 100% at rapids has to be addressed by charge networks, by making the chargers cut off below, say 6kw, but also showing a message onscreen that they should move to an AC charger.
Should be the manufacturer really not allowing this to occur. If not, simple Governmenf standard imposed on all new sales.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
This kind of thing was inevitable. I'm sure we could all see it coming a mile off.

I have thought for a long time, that we might need to end up going back to the good olde days of attended service, along with rapid charging hubs of ten or more chargers. That way the chargers are policed without the need for any potential confrontations between motorists.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
This has always been going on. They will calm down if you start filming them (from the safety of your locked car, obviously).

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
67 Posts
I don't know if it is just because I am always on the road so always charging publicly, or if I just seem to attract the wrong people. Has anyone else recently encountered an explosion of new EV owners who are acting rude and entitled? It's always been a bit of a problem over the years but never like what I have observed in this past month or so.

As a few examples:
-Tons of new 20 plate EVs using charging bays as priority parking spaces without bothering to plug in.
-Model 3 Pulled up beside me at Durham services charging a Zoe which was at less than 10% still at that point. "You need to unplug and leave. I'm here now and need a charge" Followed by shouting abuse at me and calling me a liar when I explain that even if I did he couldn't rapid charge there since there is no CCS Connector.
-Returning to my car to find its been emergency stopped and unplugged from the charger, to see that they aren't even using the chademo connector in their new LEAF but instead type 2.
-Finding 69 and 20 plate cars who will not consider leaving a rapid charger before they reach 100%
-BMW 3 Series PHEV Dumped at a rapid charger for almost 3 hours to charge at 3kW blocking others from using it. When calmly trying to explain to them I get a lecture about how she has just spent so much money on a new car so has just as much right to use the charger as I do and if I don't like it I can buy her the type 2 cable to use one of the many 7kW chargers alongside the rapid she blocked.

I think we all agree that more needs to be done regarding education, either from the dealers when selling these cars, or by the charging networks before they give people memberships. But as I have quickly learned it doesn't matter how calm and non confrontational you try to get, if you say a single word to most of these people they react as if you had just punched them in the face!

Can we not just go back to previous years where it was mostly older people who were buying EVs, all friendly people who you could have a good conversation with while charging, and if you tried to help them out by pointing out they were using the wrong connector for example they would thank you and offer some candy.

It was far less stressful and these days I am starting to dread visiting chargers because I don't know who/what I am going to find next.
From a UK perspective I've been banging on about some of this for a while now. I have a new Kia e Niro but i used to have a Tesla. So i'm not new to EVs.

My beef is exactly those who think they have the right to park full time on a 7kw charger. treat an EV slot as a parking place. I get that some people have no ability to charge from home and they have to use something. In the early Tesla days this was happening and Musk imposed a parking charge for those who overstayed their welcome.

Unfortunately I can see it changing anytime soon because we are now back to the early days again too many cars not enough chargers, of the correct kilo-wattage, in the correct place.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
My beef is exactly those who think they have the right to park full time on a 7kw charger. treat an EV slot as a parking place.

If a 7kw post isn’t for destination charging, then what is it for?

Even a modest battery size will take hours to charge up on a 7kw post, they’re of little use for short stops during long trips.

There are a couple of 7kw chargers at a train station I use, both often occupied by cars that are there for 2 days or more, presumably whilst their owners are away. Sometimes occupied by, and whisper it, PHEVs.

Same with public car parks, if they’re paying to park an EV, then it may as well be in front of a charge post.

What we need is more slow charge posts, then it’s not an issue.

Otherwise you’re asking people to be reasonable and thoughtful, and that just isn’t how a lot of people behave unfortunately.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If a 7kw post isn’t for destination charging, then what is it for?

Even a modest battery size will take hours to charge up on a 7kw post, they’re of little use for short stops during long trips.

There are a couple of 7kw chargers at a train station I use, both often occupied by cars that are there for 2 days or more, presumably whilst their owners are away. Sometimes occupied by, and whisper it, PHEVs.

Same with public car parks, if they’re paying to park an EV, then it may as well be in front of a charge post.

What we need is more slow charge posts, then it’s not an issue.

Otherwise you’re asking people to be reasonable and thoughtful, and that just isn’t how a lot of people behave unfortunately.
I fully agree with this view that destination chargers are parking spaces with the ability to charge rather than charging spaces requiring you to move as soon as charged (unless the operator has restrictions stating something different). And that we need plenty more of them.

Regarding general declining etiquette & rudeness, that could now be the wave of new company car users who show the same selfish attitudes in their EV as they did in their ICEs (a gross generalisation, but you know what I mean). As the uptake if EVs is increasing then this seems to be the price of EV ownership until there are many more public chargers or we all have EVs with large enough batteries to meet our daily needs and avoid the need for public charging at all providing we have suitable home charging.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,600 Posts
With all the BIK etc benefits and manufacturer quotas this year its one of the main reasons we switched to a big battery. On long trips we are just going to leave a bigger buffer and if busy at one location just move on with enough buffer for several alternatives. Sadly we parted with what was a perfectly good 30kw Soul after being caught out 3 times not being able to rapid charge on one trip.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah OP. Totally agree. For myself it was about a year ago I noticed raft of new PHEVs and Taxis that have zero respect for other users and as you say treat public charging as their own special parking spot plugged in or not. Pre-covid, I found it impossible to get on any rapid charger during the working day so the bulk of my public charging had to be late evenings.

·
Registered
710 Posts
At least post-ish covid I'm working from home now permanently so mileage has dropped like a stone. No need for fancy electricity tariffs, smart chargers etc as the cost of charging is pennies.

Consequently battery size is a non-issue now too :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Money talks.
Hogging reduces charger use and this operator income.
If it costs you ££ to hog a charger you'll soon learn not to.
The operators need to apply suitable incentives.
Thats the thing. The likes of Polar have stickers on their chargers warning against it. But seeing cars that have plugged in and then walked off the rest of the day are painfully common around here. I'm still trying to work out if Polar are just not charging people overstay fees, or if there are just loads of idiots who can't read/don't care about the penalties.

For example:

1 - 20 of 218 Posts