Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The problem with CCS not unlocking is that if the car is abandoned to ties up the charger. On CHAdeMO we used to unplug cars that had finished charging, close their flap and plug in ourselves.

AC charging has the same problem, cable stays locked in even when the charge has finished.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It isn't always new Ev drivers that are disrespectful - I've had plenty run-ins with Leaf drivers
and it's always leafs - casually e-stopping my rapid charge because:

a) I wasn't in the car - "you should remain in the car while charging"
- oh and "they were in a rush and will only be 15 mins on the charger"

b) I was at > 75% and "it slows down to nothing at 80%"
- their old leaf might, but my car (i3) charges at max rate right up until 95% but they won't always accept that fact 🤷

Vast majority of drivers are great people, but there are a few with odd ideas.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
I’ve done a spate of rapid charging over the past week as I drove through France and the UK, on Tesla Superchargers and some public rapid chargers. Here’s my experience.

Lots of Model 3s around, but they don’t seem aware of how rapid charging works. One guy I spoke to was trying to get to 100%. When I came back from the loo he asked me why the last 10% of charge was taking so long. I recommended he charged at his destination (100 miles away).

Turns out he wanted to get there and back on one charge.

At least two M3 owners who chose the charger next to mine didn’t know about the power sharing. Again, a polite word of advice and they were very grateful for the improved speed.

At the one public charger I used, there was the regulation transit flatbed ICEing one bay. I still got a charge but the Genie charger kept restarting the charge. A bit worrying.

Twice someone asked me when I would be finished. Both times I answered ‘right now’. If someone is waiting I always try and move off as soon as I can.

All very pleasant and any issues resolved without drama.

Rule #1: Don’t be a dick.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder whether the apparent lack of interest/knowledge/etiquette is because many new EV owners may have bought their car for 1 reason - BIK tax discounts.

They probably have no interest in the vehicle, what it does, how best to charge it etc and would prefer to still have their 600 mile range Audi/BMW/Merc/ repmobile but have gone for an EV because it’s cheap for them. They probably resent stopping to charge, they never had to in the ICE and maybe wonder if they did the right thing. And if the tax regime changes, will follow the most advantageous trend at the time.

Whereas the majority of people I’ve come across on this site are BEV enthusiasts and early adopters and actually have a massive interest in their vehicle and how to get the best from it.

Even new converts like myself this site generally have a much greater interest in the vehicles than people who don’t come on to forums like this.

I’m retired so actually get no real financial advantage running a BEV but bought one because I wanted one.

Just my thoughts, subjective and opinion only!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just been told I'm working from home permanently so my public charging days are over bar an occasional trip 🎆🤗

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some charging problems can be overcome with services like NeedToCharge | The friendly way to share an EV charger which I intend to use going forward.

Manufacturers should be better at educating, as it will improve customer satisfaction. A print out in the car with simplified advice on charging to 80% etc. type of plugs to charge with etc should be standard.

FWIW, I enjoy a free charge now and then. I'll also happily wait patiently if someone else is charging, or offer to leave if I'm charging for 'fun'. I'm a 69/20 owner and like tearing away from the lights (referenced earlier in thread), because it's one of my small pleasures in life. I also like to think it may convince a few ICE people of the benefits of EVs! I'll still let people out of junctions, overtake cyclists carefully, try not to be a dick, speed etc. We're not all bad!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,931 Posts
tearing away from the lights
My new favourite thing is when on a dual carriageway and 2 other motorists are joining "having a race", usually involving a clapped out Audi and a clapped out Honda Civic. I wait until I see which one had dived to the outside to pass, see if they manage to complete the overtake and then I floor it so they've not got me in front to overtake anymore (spec in the distance) and see if they pull in or just hang their like an unrequited high 5 in the outside lane.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
231 Posts
I purchased one of these for parking disk parking bays. I use it too at rapid chargers where there is a 45 or 60 minute parking restriction. Handy to indicate to another EV driver when I will be back at the car.

Parking Disk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I purchased one of these for parking disk parking bays. I use it too at rapid chargers where there is a 45 or 60 minute parking restriction. Handy to indicate to another EV driver when I will be back at the car.

Parking Disk
Nice simple idea :)

Personally. I never really left the car at rapids probably because I tended to "splash and dash" and only have a small battery :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Parking Disk
I'd be more interested in when you are coming back. I can see what % your car is charged to, what I want to know is if you are going to come and unplug it when it drops to 3kW or if I should give up and find another charger.

Since the charger knows your phone number (for billing) it could text you when charging gets very slow or when someone presses an "I'm waiting" button.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Since the charger knows your phone number (for billing) it could text you when charging gets very slow or when someone presses an "I'm waiting" button.
Interesting suggestion for a new feature. (y)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,662 Posts

Parking Disk
I'd probably remove the current labels & print up new ones that change "Time of Arrival" to "Expected return time" & the parking logo to a charging one.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'd probably remove the current labels & print up new ones that change "Time of Arrival" to "Expected return time" & the parking logo to a charging one.
A much more sensible idea. Time of arrival is useful for Blue Badge holders in a time-limited parking space, but pretty useless for charging. Perhaps some enterprising soul will produce a version suitable for the EV market.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,844 Posts
A much more sensible idea. Time of arrival is useful for Blue Badge holders in a time-limited parking space, but pretty useless for charging. Perhaps some enterprising soul will produce a version suitable for the EV market.
So they can be exploited like stay-at-home’s Blue Badges are!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
So they can be exploited like stay-at-home’s Blue Badges are!
Where does exploitation come into it? Advising someone waiting to charge when you expect to return to your car seems pretty innocuous to me. Mind you, it also tells nefarious characters how long the coast will be clear for if they want to break into your car.

181 - 200 of 218 Posts