Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post on here somewhere that someone had made their own frunk/froot whatever you want to call it.
I think they said the mounts they used came from a washing machine?

Has anyone else looked at this and know what the mounts are called or where to source a set?
Ebay seems to be full of Merc/VW engine cover mounts but i think they are bigger than the ones in the inverter cover?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ian

Can find lots of engineering places now with that catalogue as a pdf
but not anywhere with a price list. I guess I'll make some calls on Monday :)
Or maybe take a gamble that the Mercedes Sprinter mounts look like they might be a similar size

·
Registered
254 Posts
Isn't it annoying to get to the "frunk"? Presumably you can only get to it by pressing a button inside the car. I suppose it'd be alright for charging cables if you do most of your charging at home.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't it annoying to get to the "frunk"? Presumably you can only get to it by pressing a button inside the car. I suppose it'd be alright for charging cables if you do most of your charging at home.
That was my thinking
I only really use the type 2 occasionally unless im on a long trip (once or twice a year) where also carry a 15m extension, wetherproof cable joint and a commando to 13 adaptor which all ends up in the back seat so its not under luggage in the boot. for that this seems perfect.

Or as someone suggested elsewhere If you wanted to hide a laptop or similar instead of leaving it in the boot when parked

·
Registered
42 Posts
frunk.at are making actual frunks to go on the mounts on the motor of the Niro and Kona (and soul too)

Apparently they have a gas strut for the bonnet coming too

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did anyone get that frunk.at frunk? I've just ordered one, but I'm now wondering how much weight would be reasonable to put on those engine mounts. With granny charger, 10m extension cable for it, type 2 charger, and the other various bits I'd want to move from the boot to the frunk to make space in the boot, I reckon I'd easily be at 7 kgs...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just wondering what the effect will be on safety of filling the space under the bonnet, as I suspect it is a crumple zone that reduces the impact on a pedestrian hit by the car.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Just wondering what the effect will be on safety of filling the space under the bonnet, as I suspect it is a crumple zone that reduces the impact on a pedestrian hit by the car.
In the hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the car there’s all the electronics, the motor, AND a whole engine! I do t think a plastic tub with some wires in it poses any kind of problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In the hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the car there’s all the electronics, the motor, AND a whole engine! I do t think a plastic tub with some wires in it poses any kind of problem.
Very good point (I was starting to have doubts)

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4, received 2 October
33 Posts
What impact do these drinks have on warranty? I suppose I'm imagining that some part fails and the Kia dealer blame it on the frunk, perhaps due to poorer airflow or something, and refuse a warranty replacement.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Have you looked under the bonnet? It’s got to be about 50% air!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also these frunks are built to leave a good air gap between the core of the engine and the frunk itself.

I’d be more worried (slightly) about how much weight can be loaded onto the four mounts, particularly in a moving vehicle. The engine cover that it replaces has no weight at all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got my Frunk.at delivered today, seconds to install and now have easy access to all of my cables and adapters while travelling with a full trunk (boot).
I also got the gas struts while I was at it, 10 minutes to install and again easier access ( I'll be under the bonnet a lot more often now for cables).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,663 Posts
Looks nice and tidy!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Easy access? I've not bothered to get one because it's easier to open the boot than it is to open the bonnet. Wouldn't put my cables in there but might put other stuff that I would not use once in a blue moon. Looks neat though. Makes excellent use of that limited space.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Easy access? I've not bothered to get one because it's easier to open the boot than it is to open the bonnet. Wouldn't put my cables in there but might put other stuff that I would not use once in a blue moon. Looks neat though. Makes excellent use of that limited space.
I was initially of the same opinion until a road trip with a full boot of luggage. I know big fix for a small problem; but I'm happy

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts