178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who like to tinker:

3rd video is interesting.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,776 Posts
Wow, he’s brave to take on a wrecked GTE. He says he understands hybrids but then says the GTE will do 30 miles electric only which any GTE owners knows is a fantasy.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
357 Posts
He's got a couple more videos up I'll watch later. Looks to be a lot of standard bodywork stuff - what makes me nervous is the nsf corner, there's a lot of orange-cabled gubbins that live on that side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
199 Posts
He's got a couple more videos up I'll watch later. Looks to be a lot of standard bodywork stuff - what makes me nervous is the nsf corner, there's a lot of orange-cabled gubbins that live on that side of the engine bay.
Has anyone actually seriously injured themselves yet from HV circuits on cars? People probably daily drop vehicles on themselves or ignite fluids etc, plenty of easier ways of seriously injuring yourself when working on a car, or the consequences of driving a car with a botched repair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Somebody told me that the main EV fuse is under the rear seat. That should be a good safe start to remove this fuse first.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
At a minimum the airbag deployment will have blown the pyrofuse.

Hopefully it hasn't sat in a lot for 6+ months with an empty battery - that may well damage it.

But the damage looks superficial and I expect it was written off for cost of repairs (with HV tech being required) rather than it being unsafe to repair.

·
Registered
199 Posts
At a minimum the airbag deployment will have blown the pyrofuse.
Do you have a reference to the GTE pack having an HV pyrofuse? My googling only returns tom66 posts! Seems like the guy in the video didn't have any issues with pyrofuses either? Im sure the pack has a conventional fuse alongside contactors, I just can't find any reference to some sort of irreversible lock-out that a pyrofuse would cause after activation.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It may well not have a pyrofuse, but it's common with EVs to have one.

I haven't checked in detail if the GTE has one, but it definitely has a software crash reset which Paul did have to clear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I watched this and was very impressed with his knowledge. He obviously knows what he's doing and hopefully will join the forum with his insight.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I haven't checked in detail if the GTE has one, but it definitely has a software crash reset which Paul did have to clear.
Main problem that Paul had was obtaining this plug which emergency services can remove from bulkhead as VCDS can't clear codes without it being present.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts