Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
When I had my Ioniq, I really liked the Head Up Display and was disappointed when the Premium Kona didn't have it. I tried the Navier HUD app on an old android phone, but the speed indication jumped around a lot. So, I found an old webcam which I had used on my old laptop, installed USB Camera app on the phone, bought a 2 in 1 female OTG Plug To Male USB Adapter Cable, and a Clear Auto Car Windshield Reflective Film For Head Up Display.
And this is what I got:

Not only do I get the speed displayed from the Speedometer, I also get the SCC setting above it. I made the phone holder out of some sheet aluminium I'd got in the shed and sprayed it matt black.

The camera sits on top of the steering wheel column.

The camera and phone holder are held in place with some double sided reusable tape, so it leaves no residue if you want to take it off in the future. I very rarely have to look down at the instument cluster now, and can keep my eyes on the road.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You will get a lot better reflection from the screen with one of these reflective films on the Windscreen in the projection area

Or if you dont mind splashing out a little bit more these are very effective connected to the OBD

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will get a lot better reflection from the screen with one of these reflective films on the Windscreen in the projection area

View attachment 130663

Or if you dont mind splashing out a little bit more these are very effective connected to the OBD

View attachment 130664

Yep. Already got one. Works a treat, even in bright sunlight. The cable cost me £1.90 and the reflective film was £0.99. The phone and the camera were surplus to requirement so I didn't count them in the cost.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
88 Posts

View attachment 130663

View attachment 130664

Have you tried this device?
think the best option for these are a good app with a good stand ( for phone) and reflective screen.
These devices can’t be updated in the future..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried this device?
think the best option for these are a good app with a good stand ( for phone) and reflective screen.
These devices can’t be updated in the future..
The problem I found with the OBD HUD's is that the speed display jumps about too much. I couldn't get it to give a steady display of speed like the speedometer does.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The problem I found with the OBD HUD's is that the speed display jumps about too much. I couldn't get it to give a steady display of speed like the speedometer does.
Mine seems veery steady maybe there is a fault?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry don't like it, it looks really ugly especially the camera positioned in front of the speedo. I also hate wires trailing over dashboards, but that's just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts