Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, can anyone help me. I’m installing the new pod point tethered S7-2C-6ma-2 7kW.

I have nearly everything installed and wired up. I’m just stuck with this CT clamp that was provided with the unit. I know the CT clamp goes on the incoming tail feed above the meter.

I’m just stuck with how to wire the CT CLAMP to the pod point unit. I’m not sure where the wires connect on the board.
I have enclosed pictures.

The CT clamp has two symbols on the connection side underneath where the screws are. It’s L and K. Please can some one advice what the symbols are.

please advice where to connect the CT clamp on the board in the pod point
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

8EFBA7A8-B302-4D10-91E5-70AA9B732430.jpeg
4B17D861-0694-442B-ACEC-7642578A4D94.jpeg
image.jpg
A5CD4002-F412-444D-AF9B-90A220908BD2.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, can anyone help me. I’m installing the new pod point tethered S7-2C-6ma-2 7kW.

I have nearly everything installed and wired up. I’m just stuck with this CT clamp that was provided with the unit. I know the CT clamp goes on the incoming tail feed above the meter.

I’m just stuck with how to wire the CT CLAMP to the pod point unit. I’m not sure where the wires connect on the board.
I have enclosed pictures.

The CT clamp has two symbols on the connection side underneath where the screws are. It’s L and K. Please can some one advice what the symbols are.

please advice where to connect the CT clamp on the board in the pod point
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 133791 View attachment 133792 View attachment 133793 View attachment 133794

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 core shielded for the cable.

It’s the blue connector at bottom left of pcb.

Grounded is l.
Hi there, thanks for the quick response.

so just to be clear.
I’m connecting a two core wire to this part of the board where there are two screws surrounded by blue casing.

5FDC5F86-2883-48A6-AA64-BCC45781ECDA.png

Can you please advice on the wire thickness/size.

thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's the connection mate yep, it's only a data cable so 0.2mm is the usually but it's not important.

L is GRD
K is EXCT

And ground the shield on both sides.

Make sure your dip switches are set and the clamp is on the live with arrow in correct direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are such a fantastic guy.

just one more question. What do you mean by “And ground the shield on both sides”.

thank you once again

·
Registered
179 Posts
The shielding is the armour in protecting the single cables.

When you strip it keep the armour long and terminate both sides in L and GRD.

If your not gonna do it till tomorrow I'll send you a pic in the morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m using 40amp RCBO TYPE A. Just need to check to make sure I understand feed and supply of the RCBO.
63F36E13-4E80-4067-B0A5-D40424DD2881.jpeg

Am I correct to say that the supply mains is coming from the red switch and goes in to the top side of the RCBO which is written N and 1.

And the connection from pod point to the RCBO is connected to underneath, where it’s written N and 2.

just need to make sure this is correct.

thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah that's fine, personally I'd bin the main (red switch).

Get at least a stuffer on the incoming cables. I'd recommend a 32mm wiska gland.

Are you running a 6mm 3 core swa to the pod?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I’m using 6mm 3 core swa under 10 metres To connect to the pod point.

also will have 32mm gland tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 80amp main supply fuse. I’m getting supply board to fit 100amps. Is it advisable to upgrade to 100amps on main fuse? Mains is not looped.

Also, the paper instructions that came with pod point state this about the CT CLAMP.
image.jpg

Do I need to switch DIP NUMBER 4 to the ON position for something about 60Amps?
Or do I just leave it In the OFF position?

thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have 80amp main supply fuse. I’m getting supply board to fit 100amps. Is it advisable to upgrade to 100amps on main fuse? Mains is not looped.

Also, the paper instructions that came with pod point state this about the CT CLAMP. View attachment 133802

Do I need to switch DIP NUMBER 4 to the ON position for something about 60Amps?
Or do I just leave it In the OFF position?

thanks
Are you using the terms main supply fuse and main fuse as the the same thing?
If the DNO are upgrading it for free get 100amp.

Your activating the fuse saver/clamp so switch dp4 but you have to call podpoint and get them to change it from 60amp from what ever your main fuse size is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
While they don’t really hide them pod point also don’t push the install guides either as their business model isn’t self install.

I assume you also have the WiFi setup guide printed in the box (so they can remotely adjust you) but if not both guides are at this link.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the mains supply and mains, meaning the same thing. its currently at 80 amps.

so I definitely switch on DP4 as well as I am using the CT CLAMP ?

also I am going to be connecting WiFi to it. So I’m assuming I have to contact pod point to get them to go from 60 amps to 100amps?

I’m only doing this my self as i got the POD POINT FROM eBay as unused and unopened. The person who had it eBay bought two of these and only used one of them so hence he had to sell this one which I bought. I was originally going to install the QUBEV EV charger.

thanks for all your help guys.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I assume you understand that fitting a charging point is a new circuit and is notifiable work under building regulations? Or are you an electrician able to certify under an approved body?

If you don't comply with building regulations and there was a fire due to the uncertified work, you may have issues with your house insurance.

A charging point cause a fire? Surely not....

Unless you are a qualified electrician I would strongly recommend you get everything checked by a professional.

Reactions: benwillcox

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi there, I’m not a qualified electrician but have done basic electrical work before.
I have been reading about the regulations.
i am going to install it and get everything checked by an electrician.
Also the DNO has been notified and they are scheduled to come and have a look at main meter side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume you understand that fitting a charging point is a new circuit and is notifiable work under building regulations? Or are you an electrician able to certify under an approved body?

If you don't comply with building regulations and there was a fire due to the uncertified work, you may have issues with your house insurance.

A charging point cause a fire? Surely not....

Unless you are a qualified electrician I would strongly recommend you get everything checked by a professional.
I am installing it’s own dedicated circuit as pictured below.
F5404659-BCD7-4EF8-B652-ACB7B30824E3.jpeg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts