Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was safe to purchase a Sunderland built 'Gen 2' 2013+ Leaf as these had the later heat pump.

But reading another thread on here yesterday, (https://www.speakev.com/threads/ptc-heater-fault-leaf-tekna-2014.1440/ )...that's suggesting that basically all 24/30kwh Leaf's have some kind of PTC heater combined with the heat pump, and these still suffer with these common(ish) failures like the original Japanese models? Is this correct?

I'm aware that Visia models always have the original heating system, but was under the impression that Acenta/Tekna Gen 2, dark interior, no boot hump were a safe bet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You need to have both ideally. If there is no heat from the coolant system a heat pump will struggle to make much gain, and as such will not effectively preheat your car on a cold morning. So the electric heating element warms the coolant, and the heat pump takes it from there. As soon as the coolant is being heated by the motor the electric heating element cuts out. Hence why my car (Gen2 Tekna) used over a kWh of electricity this morning going from a heavy frost and -1C externally to defrosted and 20C in the cabin - fortunately from the mains rather than the battery.
The Gen1 cars and Gen2 Visia only had the electric heating element, and the Gen1 had a feature where if you called for a temp lower than 16C left the heating element on all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

So in that case, on the Gen 2 if the PTC heater fails, does the heating still work to a degree when the coolant temperature rises and the heat pump can use that?

IE, is it just the pre-heating that's affected?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts