Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to buy an April 2015 A3 etron. Will I definitely be able to pre-heat/cool it, either from an app or the internal controls? Or does that need optional hardware / software?

And... is there any way to find out the health of the battery?

Thanks very much (first post)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Markypops,

I have a 2015 e-tron which has a facility to set a timer for what is called "Auxiliary Air Conditioning" in several ways:
  1. There is a website (myAudi – myAudi) which had a function that allowed for a timer to be set to turn on the climate control to prepare the air conditioning within the car for a given departure time. At least 30 minutes notice had to be given. I guess the car assesses when to turn on the climate control within the 30 minutes leading up to the departure time so that it "thinks" it can achieve the temperature set on the climate control within the car (you cannot specify the temperature or indeed whether or not to use eco mode from the website).

2. The myAudi website also had a function to set a timer to initiate charging in order (I presume) to take advantage of off peak electricity availability. I think you could also set a flag to prepare the air conditioning in this case too (but I've never used it).

3. There is a screen in the car that allows you to set "Auxiliary A/C". Through this screen which you access when the "ignition" is on, you can set a departure timer which will turn on the climate control as above after you've switched off the car, locked it and left it. You can even use this facility when the car is plugged into a charging device. This appears to be the same facility as described above.

NB: Also, through this screen, you can click on a "Turn auxiliary ... on/off" command which immediately turns on/off the climate control and will leave it running when the car is switched off (in this way you can leave the climate control on for a passenger when you nip into a shop/pub/place of worship or the like).

4. There are several apps for Android/Apple which I've not used as my smartphone is rather a dumbphone and will not run either of these apps. Other users may be able to tell you whether these provide any usable facilities.
You will notice some use of past tense above when I talk about the myAudi website. Audi has been tinkering with this and put up a dysfunctional Beta. It looks (today) that they've gone live with it and all I get now is a Server Error.

Another thing to note is that you can turn on the climate control manually when the car is not really switched on but I don't think, in this case, this does anything more than turn on the fan. I've tried to use this facility to heat up the car in the winter whilst I await within it for a charging activity to complete. I've never got the heater to work in this case. The dealer told me that I didn't have a car with preheat! (so back to your original question...). I then found I could use the second method in item 3 above with some feeling of success.

One other thing to note: I've read in an early Audi presentation on the e-tron that setting a departure time allows the car to take advantage of external power to preheat the oils etc. and save load on the battery when starting off. I can't prove this is the case but it sounds good. This may be the root of the preheat confusion/uncertainty/incompetence at the dealers as this heater might only be installed for really cold countries.

NB: I'm very dissatisfied with the quality of Audi's software. I suggest you ask the dealer/owner to show you all these ways of setting the climate control in advance of purchase. Also, get them to go through and explain every control that is specific to the e-tron!

Kind regards, Stefan

PS: With regard to the battery, you've got an 8 year warranty on this. There's no way I can see to get a health check - perhaps the dealers can. You'll find you can't charge it with more than around 6.5kWh from "empty" (it's an 8.8 kWh battery pack) so I guess it's got some capacity in reserve. It's also an excruciatingly slow charge which I think is also good for rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Markypop,

Just noticed that the MyAudi website has now been cutover thus:

updated on 31/07/2018
Welcome to the new myAudi portal
myAudi has become even more intuitive. It is now also based on a totally new technology.
The new myAudi architecture makes it easier to use. It is the basis for a number of new features and services. Changing the underlying technology also means that some familiar features are not available at the moment. We are continuously adding services, starting with your Digital Service Schedule, which will be available to you again soon. In the meantime, you can access most features via the free myAudi App.

The only thing you can now do is download the map updates - doh! Notice they don't gve a date for when the Service Schedul will reappear. I hope you've got a smart phone that's compatible with Audi's (reportedly poor) apps.

Cheers, Stefan

PS: If you are buying your e-tron from a dealer, I'd seriously consider whether it is possible to buy the extended warranty for a couple of years or whether you will get and can extend the remnants of any existing owner's warranty. I've got a five year plan and I'm mightily glad - I've had two "modules" replaced within the last year or so and both would otherwise have cost me £3-4K plus fitting etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started using the MyAudi app on my Iphone but have gone back to the Audi Connect app because it is better than its replacement. There is no navigate to my car function on the new app (unless I just cannot find it) and it is just difficult to use compared with Audi Connect which is still available on the app store. P.S. you can now see service history on the new app.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts