Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do e-Niros hold their value better than Konas?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jimlad 
#1 ·
I’ve been doing the rounds on a few of the forums on here, starting to think about what car I may buy next year to replace my current e-Golf lease. Want to buy a used car this time outright. Started off thinking about the Ioniq, then started looking at the Kona as a car I might consider stretching to if I’m good with my saving in the meantime.

Today I thought, well, if I’m thinking about the Kona I should look into the e-Niro too, as they’re nearly identical underneath and the Kia has a longer warranty.

I just did a little searching on Autotrader, and it looks like the e-Niro is holding its value much better than the Kona. But I thought they were about the same price (comparing top spec Kona to e-Niro first edition) when they were new? The Konas seem around £2k less used than the e-Niros, and some of the Konas are even cheaper than that.

Is this a trend that people see continuing, or is it just that both cars are still so new, and initial supply so constrained, that there aren’t enough of them on the used market yet to really average out their prices?

#4 ·
Oh, don’t worry, I believe you. I know the e-Niro has a much bigger boot too. I’m single and don’t have a full car often, so it’s not a huge deal for me but can believe it makes the e-Niro more desirable to many. I think I slightly prefer the Kona, but it’s close. I prefer the exterior styling of the Kona, but prefer the interior of the e-Niro. But for me, if they were the same price I’d get the e-Niro because the 7 year warranty would swing it for me. Was just surprised to see the e-Niro costing so much more on the used market. I wonder how much of it is the greater practicality of the e-Niro, or whether it’s just too soon to draw conclusions as there aren’t that many used e-Niro‘s for sale yet.

#5 ·
For what it’s worth I preferred the styling of the Kona too but was after something bigger following my i3. It was a no brainer for flexibility even though we’re generally only two up. Of course, there was little price differential when I bought. A few 000 off is worth doing if you can live with it.

#9 ·
I wouldnt worry to much on used prices. EVs are likely to hold their value better than an ICE equivalent but with the number of new EV models being released the resale values will likely be more attractive in a year or so. Personally if I was after a long range EV next year I would be looking at the Kona purely because they came out earlier than the Niro and a 2018 should be pretty good value next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.