Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Yeah, or you need to tow that speedboat you won on Bullseye in 1981, when you paired with your Aunt Marlene (what a 3 dart finish) from Lands End to John O Groats via Lake Windermere.

What are you supposed to do then?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think most of EVMs audience have figured this one out but I know he's not really aiming it at us and he's spot on for me I'd never need more than 200 miles of range as I'd be likely to crash beyond that, I honestly don't have a clue how people drive for 8 hours straight it's completely mental I guess they either don't concentrate as much as they should or have super human levels of concentration and relax by watching paint dry!!

Probably 95% of people never need any more range than the ZS offers

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
We totally need it, account for degradation, winter, wet, hauling stuff about and not wanting to have to charge for a few days on end when your on holiday!

Plus if like me you buy your car outright rather than pcp I want to know it’s going to be usable and re-sellable in 5-10 years!

·
Journeyman Human
439 Posts
If I could drive at 75 mph for 200 miles, that would be the most I'd ever need, as it would mean breaking after 3 hours or so, the maximum I would ever drive at speed without a break, and give me 300 miles or so in normal use. I think the current crop of 60kWh or so cars can already do that. Anything more is just adding weight and range that I'll never need!

In reality, my MG's current range has never caused me any inconvenience at all beyond occasionally having to plug in at home twice a week instead of once. I really resent that extra 2 minutes I lose about twice a month! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
This comes up over and over again on speakev - and nigh on everyone says blah blah blah, don't need the range, have to stop for a pee anyway; but no-one seems to get that anyone doing high mileage, you know, the business men that sell things far and wide, do not want to stop every 2 hours for a 1 hour charge (or in answer to Favguy, 2 hours every 3 hours). And that's not even counting for doing the speed limit with a bit of cold / rain thrown in. People are just so blinkered on here. EVs are just not the answer yet for every scenario, but a long range can help. Mind you, I thought the niro was good, until @tilla found that even that car, driven at speed with a roof box can drop it's range down to 160 or so, and then you've got to probably charge every 120 miles to be safe.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
but no-one seems to get that anyone doing high mileage, you know, the business men that sell things far and wide, do not want to stop every 2 hours for a 1 hour charge (or in answer to Favguy, 2 hours every 3 hours). And that's not even counting for doing the speed limit with a bit of cold / rain thrown in.
Time for them to reconsider the business model, such travelling is not worthwhile.

·
Registered
746 Posts
One of the reasons ICE drivers keep on saying they want 600 miles of range is because it is a downright hassle having to refuel too frequently. With petrol or diesel you can't just stick the fuel nozzle in and go off for a bite to eat (or a pee) you have to hang around until you have filled up and and then go off to pay; and very often have to queue waiting for a free pump as well. With an EV you can charge whilst satisfying bodily needs, with an ICE you can't. As EVM says, it needs a change of mindset.

However, I do agree with @Jeffrey Cooper that an EV does not suit every use case.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
the business men that sell things far and wide, do not want to stop every 2 hours for a 1 hour charge (or in answer to Favguy, 2 hours every 3 hours). And that's not even counting for doing the speed limit with a bit of cold / rain thrown in. People are just so blinkered on here.
That kind of business practice, along with the vehicles they currently drive, are going the way of the dodo. Maybe not in the next 5 years, maybe not in the next 10, but it will happen.

I’d have thought that the last 3 or 4 months will have been catalyst enough to show that things can and need to be done differently.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not sure that covid lockdown has proved things can be done differently - we're all bankrupt !!

The answer is simple - we can have small battery, medium range EVs but we need need need must have, fast charging that is seriously fast - so we could literally plug it in, go for a pee, pay for the electrons, have a little walk to get blood circulating again and get gone. 15 minutes max I would suggest. If all the engineers/technicians would look at a way of making that happen, rather than concentrating on stupid FSD, we might be on a winner.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm not sure that covid lockdown has proved things can be done differently - we're all bankrupt !!
What a silly comment.

It has very much proven that things can and will be done differently, a good example would be my ex-MD, he was dead set against allowing his office staff (more specifically sales) to work from home at all, as he claimed it was inefficient and would hurt productivity, writing it off without even trialling it with a few of the staff.

Having been forced into the situation over the last few months, my friend (or ex-colleague) has been keeping me up to date with the changes that have taken place. Everyone of the office staff has been relocated to home, sales included, they have all been given new laptops if they didn't have one already, they have all be given a broadband allowance or connection, and a secondary mobile back up for fail-over. They have been told as of June that 90% of them will be no longer required to go into the office more than once per month, and that all of the company cars, baring two pool cars are being stopped, and special application must be made to justify keeping the one they have now. They've hired three additional I.T. staff, and have a new help desk arrangement for issues, and the target time for resolution has been dropped from 24 hours to 30 minutes, meaning things stay broken for less time, and more gets done, this has been shown as productivity (and sales) have all gone up and communication has become much better (so I am told, it was terrible), hence the commitment to keeping this as the 'new normal'.

So that is around 40 people no longer commuting every day, wasting time, fuel, and many other things, while allowing more family time, less cars on the road(s), and every single one of them is better off financially as no wages have been cut, and they now have less bills to pay, so technically they've all had a pay increase (baring those company cars). The only loser in this will be the lease holder on the office space when the lease is over, as they will be looking to move into much smaller offices, and maybe even looking at using the daily/weekly office rental companies alongside a storage/industrial unit instead.

Tell me again why things can't be done differently?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
The same was said when call centres were farmed out to the developing world, many have since come back.

Working from home is a terrible thing for many, and it takes longer than 2 months of lockdown to really trial it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I could drive at 75 mph for 200 miles, that would be the most I'd ever need, as it would mean breaking after 3 hours or so, the maximum I would ever drive at speed without a break, and give me 300 miles or so in normal use. I think the current crop of 60kWh or so cars can already do that. Anything more is just adding weight and range that I'll never need!

In reality, my MG's current range has never caused me any inconvenience at all beyond occasionally having to plug in at home twice a week instead of once. I really resent that extra 2 minutes I lose about twice a month! :ROFLMAO:
4 minutes a month ...compared with going out to a fossil fuel station, pumping fuel and then queueing to pay. Electricity wins in nearly all cases. Oh and clean air.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Here come the blinkered comments !

@EVJourney well I guess 40 people out of a working population of 30 million or so is a suitable survey, I just hope the ambulances and firemen can reach your house from their home offices.
@SteeveeLeevee unless your avatar is a wish, then yes of course, EVs are wonderfull if you can afford an M3, unlike what, maybe 50 million of us ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
@EVJourney well I guess 40 people out of a working population of 30 million or so is a suitable survey, I just hope the ambulances and firemen can reach your house from their home offices.
Another silly comment, is there any point in replying if you are just being facetious.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
why silly ? you've just based your "everyone can work from home without a car" comment on a 40 person company, in what line of work may I ask ?

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I just hope the ambulances and firemen can reach your house from their home offices.
How many of those people will be driving beyond the range of even a modest electric car to get to work? Not many.

The two retained firefighters I know live locally, and run/drive to the station in their locality when a call comes in. It’s already happening.

Most of my colleagues mileage was taken up by attending meetings, which funnily enough they’ve found they can do perfectly well via Skype. Different, yes, but works.

Some work obviously still requires an on-site presence, but a lot doesn’t.

That’s an organisation with tens of thousands of employees by the way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
why silly ? you've just based your"everyone can work from home without a car" comment on a 40 person company, in what line of work may I ask ?
Making words up that I didn't write, quality way of having a discussion. Point to where I said "everyone can work from home without a car".. er... I didn't so you can't

Your initial sill comment was "I'm not sure that covid lockdown has proved things can be done differently - we're all bankrupt !! "

I gave an example of how things have indeed changed from 'some' people and 'some' companies and can indeed be done differently.

Can't read, won't read? Or just can't understand?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Assuming we still have travelling salesmen and businessmen, presumably they travel to actually get somewhere as oppose to just driving aimlessly for hours on end whilst shouting into a Bluetooth handset!

I know people who've done these jobs and they tended to drive for 2-3 hours get to where their going for a presentation, meeting etc and then after an hour or so move on to the next place and then maybe go home, once the infrastructure is there and they can charge at or very near their destinations then the range needed for such a job reduces significantly.

Don't see this happening overnight but it's all heading in the right direction, 3 rapids have popped up by us locally in the last few months and there are plans for at least 2 more plus some destination chargers and we live in a bit of a backwater. It's getting there and it's only going to get better.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts