Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know that 'car smell' that cars tend to get after a few years, not the nice 'new car' smell but that slight whiff of '1970's coach' smell. Do pure EVs get that too or is it to do with the engine fumes getting into the interior?

I'm torn between a plug-in hybrid and a pure EV and this genuinely have a big influence on my decision.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Glad you said that too @Paul. The only thing I've ever noticed was a used car that had obviously been used by a (heavy?) smoker. It took over a year for the smell to go, despite having multiple cleans. Maybe fabric seats are likely to be more prone to lingering smells.

A top tip is to use bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle...leave for an hour and then vacuum. Another tip is white vinegar (not malt!!!) if it's really bad. Don't worry, the chip shop smell doesn't last long.

Reactions: Tattersky

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New car smell I get, old car smell? I mean cars are smelly, but aside from old world interior plastics or leathers (and general engine stink) do cars have A smell?
It's the general engine stink really. Too many coach trips must have made my nose very sensitive to it.
My logic is no engine = no smell, but then again even EVs are surrounded by ICE in traffic.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Child sick. That's a smell that seemingly never goes. :(

Engine smells not really a thing with EVs, you just really notice other people's smells much more. Sometimes I can smell the smoker in the car in front in heavy traffic too, even if they have windows shut!? Eurgh. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Child sick. That's a smell that seemingly never goes. :(
Cheers! That answered my suspicions.

Child sick I have experience of. Use this stuff when the car is new:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-..._sim_kh_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RGM3J7XJVH3RTWCQJHD

Then use biological washing powder to clean the 'offending area'. Non-bio washing powder is not as good.

Finally an odour bomb gets rid of the smell for good:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2814...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Doesn't work on car smell for long though :(

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nothing beats traipsing through doggy doo-doo and not realising until you're ensconced comfortably behind the driving wheel with the heater gently blowing warm air over your shoes .... o_O
Hey..I'm eating here!:p

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
SIMON half way through the message I threw up then finished reading and relaxed:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts