Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am very keen to move away from ICE but can't afford an EV (as much as I want one) so I'm looking into PHEVs. I'm very much looking for a driver's car and after much pondering I think I've settled on a GTE.

I've found one that seems a bit of a steal at 45k miles (2016 reg year). You have given some fantastic answers to people in similar situations in the past so I want to avoid straight up asking for everything you know. Instead it would be much appreciated if you could check my understanding of things I need to look out for and add anything I'm missing:
  1. Check the DSG is silky.
  2. Make sure it has a full service history every 10k.
  3. If the above is in order then it has a 100k miles/8 year warranty as standard?
  4. Check both charging cables are present.
  5. There may be some suspenstion wear (front and rear) beginning, but it is no massive concern.
  6. Some battery degredation is unavidable, ask to view it fully charged to get a feel for the remaining range.
  7. It is of particular concern if the battery hasnt been used very much? Is there a way to check this?
  8. Do plenty of plugging in.
Generally, I've accepted the depreciation that im probably looking at with this car. Theres some uncertainty with it being new new tech, and PHEV being a 'stepping stone' to EVs and better charging infrastructure mean there is a likelyhood that itll depreciate exceptionally quickly. Mostly my position is that im just looking for a quality bit of kit that isnt going to cost a fortune in maintenance and accept the premium im going to pay to do my bit for the environment short term by driving partially electrically and long term by adding to the momentum of electrical drivetrain adoption. If you dont think the GTE fits this, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If the above is in order then it has a 100k miles/8 year warranty as standard?
Only for the battery, which is also covered to 70% capacity degradation, on Mk7/Mk7.5.
The rest of the car is not covered.

It is of particular concern if the battery hasnt been used very much? Is there a way to check this?
I don't think this is true. It's actually great for you because it means the battery life will probably be better than average.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.